100,000 miles too much ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don, how did the unfiltered air path occur? I missed this, and of course it doesn't help you live a long way up an unpaved goat trail.
Revenge of the Republik of CA emissions police. I believe D' the Canister Removal Criminal undid the CA smog stuff and missed plugging an important hose. Compounded by living at the end of the world, only accessible by miles of dirt roads, guarded by flocks of suicidal deer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buying this bike depends if you can do wrenching yourself, and if you can negotiate the price down, and if you want to keep it until the wheels fell off. This won't be sold too soon as people shy away from high miles, so you should be able to negotiate a good deal, or just wait it out for a bit and the seller realizes what the market really is. I'd consider it if he was asking $3k.

The Kelly Blue book states the value of an 06 FJR as $7195 US in excellent condition when buying from a dealer. Trade in value is listed as $4965 .This info is available to anyone taking the time to look. A look at Ebay and Kijiji and Craigslist will bring up bikes much higher than $4000.

So to KDM I say if YOU feel its worth it then it is.

Just saying.

Rob

With a lot of miles you need to confirm their maintenance folder. If they haven't kept up a folder of all maint records, then what else have they not kept up?

The key to higher mileage bikes is how they have been ridden and how they have been maintained. Pure and simply. On the nay sayers of purchasing a higher mileage bike I wonder how many miles you have on your bikes if you have so little faith in the ability of a properly maintained FJR to go in excess of 200k miles.. I know I have had zero issues with mine and it has been proactively maintained. If we were talking about car/trucks there probably wouldn't even be a discussion as many 2006 and newer are being sold having in excess of 100k miles all the time. All buyers should be prudent and do their homework for any purchase. With a higher mileage bike you will pay less. If the bike in question had 20k miles with all the extras it would probably sell for $7500-8000.

If you wonder where this is coming from the bike in question is mine.. The mods are ak20 forks and penske shocks installed and serviced by Traxxion(stock forks and shock go with bike), helibar triple clamps and risers installed by the dealer, power commander III dyno'd with custom map, K&N air filter, brodies spider harness, salamander bar ends, skyway sliders,bill's highway pegs, tech spec tank protectors, fenda extenda, Bill Mayer drivers seat, throttle lock, ball mounts for gps or other electronics, butler cup mounting bracket, custom grips, highway blaster horn, fz1 mirrors, Vstream windshield , vstrom hand guards, irridium plugs, coolant and brake fluids flushed annually, Mobil One full syn oil every 4k miles with filter change, driveshaft fluid changed every 8k miles, magnetic drain plugs in crankcase and driveshaft., battery replaced with oem, headlight bulbs replaced, cct replaced. Last Wed I got 52 mpg. Usually averages 43-45. Did I mention new OEM brake pads to be installed next Sun with brake and coolant flush. Valves were checked every 25k miles and never needed adjustment. Bike is garaged and covered and cleaned after every ride and gas tank is filled prior to parking bike So to summarize if someone were to buy this bike they would get over $4000 worth of extras and a bike for free, if I decide to actually sell it. Just saying, Not taking shots at anyone. Just trying to put more info out there. You'll ride safe now.

The key to higher mileage bikes is how they have been ridden and how they have been maintained. Pure and simply. On the nay sayers of purchasing a higher mileage bike I wonder how many miles you have on your bikes if you have so little faith in the ability of a properly maintained FJR to go in excess of 200k miles.. I know I have had zero issues with mine and it has been proactively maintained. If we were talking about car/trucks there probably wouldn't even be a discussion as many 2006 and newer are being sold having in excess of 100k miles all the time. All buyers should be prudent and do their homework for any purchase. With a higher mileage bike you will pay less. If the bike in question had 20k miles with all the extras it would probably sell for $7500-8000.
If you wonder where this is coming from the bike in question is mine.. The mods are ak20 forks and penske shocks installed and serviced by Traxxion(stock forks and shock go with bike), helibar triple clamps and risers installed by the dealer, power commander III dyno'd with custom map, K&N air filter, brodies spider harness, salamander bar ends, skyway sliders,bill's highway pegs, tech spec tank protectors, fenda extenda, Bill Mayer drivers seat, throttle lock, ball mounts for gps or other electronics, butler cup mounting bracket, custom grips, highway blaster horn, fz1 mirrors, Vstream windshield , vstrom hand guards, irridium plugs, coolant and brake fluids flushed annually, Mobil One full syn oil every 4k miles with filter change, driveshaft fluid changed every 8k miles, magnetic drain plugs in crankcase and driveshaft., battery replaced with oem, headlight bulbs replaced, cct replaced. Last Wed I got 52 mpg. Usually averages 43-45. Did I mention new OEM brake pads to be installed next Sun with brake and coolant flush. Valves were checked every 25k miles and never needed adjustment. Bike is garaged and covered and cleaned after every ride and gas tank is filled prior to parking bike So to summarize if someone were to buy this bike they would get over $4000 worth of extras and a bike for free, if I decide to actually sell it. Just saying, Not taking shots at anyone. Just trying to put more info out there. You'll ride safe now.
$4000 doesn't sound too bad after hearing how its been taken care of. Sounds like its good to go to cali tomorrow!!

Good God, I would have said too many miles, but with all that stuff and for around $3500 I'd say it's a great buy

rockmurph,

Sorry that you were offended. Until you made your post nobody knew whose bike was being discussed, nor did we have any idea at all about how well it had been cared for. As you said yourself in your first sentence, "The key to higher mileage bikes is how they have been ridden and how they have been maintained." And the OP did not have any of that information, or at least none that he was sharing It sounds like a pretty good deal now.

Thanks to Rockmurf for dropping in. It's the old "don't judge a book by it's cover" .

Rob

To Rockmurph-

Certainly hope I didn't offend you by my inquiry on the forum. It was not intended to diminish your bike at all . Coming from mostly Kawasaki ,and not being that familiar with with the FJR , I was looking for some opinions on how long these bikes really last .

As I stated , there is a longevity thread at the beginning of this forum ,and showed a couple or three blown engines around this mileage ,

an expense I could not afford at this point. Just wanted to educate myself before jumping in, as I tend to do !

Sadly , we had a death in the family yesterday ,and the next week will be pretty busy with things , as you can imagine .

Still interested in the bike. Will contact you after all is settled and done to see if it is still for sale .

Thanks , Keith

Not offended. I would search the forum for info myself. The internet is a great source of info, both good and bad, true and untrue. Generalizations aren't always that helpful and that is what got the hair up but everything is out there so it is all good. Sorry about your personal situation. I am off ridng my bike. Thanks all for the good comments.

I'd have to think anybody selling a bike with 100K would be wise enough to let it go for $3500 instead of $4000 but I could be wrong. Even though that's not very many for an FJR, it's still 100K. Use that to your advantage
smile.png

Resurrecting an old thread for a final update .

Things are slowly returning to normal around here after after my father-in-laws memorial service .so I'm starting to look for an FJ again. Went looking for rockmurf's ad again to see if we could make a deal .

Mr. Murf is now asking $5995 . Firm.

Way too rich for me ,so am bowing out , if anyone else here is interested ,go for it.

Wanted the say thanks for all the helpful input. Ride safe !

Thank you Mr Socal, I raised the price to what I feel is a fair price for the bike and realizing that I really don't want to sell it. It runs like new and is set up for me by me. I don't blame anyone fom not being interested in a bike with this mileage and that is fine. What sucks is people not knowing squat about something shooting off their mouth. To all ride safe.

ps, bike no longer for sale.

Keep the bike RM!

I feel the same way about KrZy8.

She is pretty much worthless to anyone but me.

To me, she' s a dirty old road whore princess waiting for the next ride.
punk.gif

+10

I hope that you do keep it, RM. I've been in the same (or at least very similar) situation with my VFR. I'd like to move it along to someone (ostensibly younger) who might appreciate its sporty nature and riding position a bit more than me. But I met with only trouble and assholes asking stupid questions. Tried a trade but that was a miserable failure. My fault for that.

The VFR is still (back) in the garage. I'm hoping it will work out for my son to use it sometime soon. At least I know that he can appreciate how truly excellent that bike is, even if my old back can't anymore.

When you know the real value of something, it's really hard to let it go to some bottom feeding scumbags.

Oh... was that language too strong?