16k PR2 rear tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the change to PR2s I am averaging 13k+ on rear and 16k+ on front. The extra 2k loss from the large numbers some of you get is due to riding with the PNW crew a few times a yeat. They can really help you wear off the edges of the tire.

Since the change to PR2s I am averaging 13k+ on rear and 16k+ on front. The extra 2k loss from the large numbers some of you get is due to riding with the PNW crew a few times a yeat. They can really help you wear off the edges of the tire.

Wow.... this guy is full of BS....he's a riding nut with some skills.. :blink:

I noticed my first PR2 rear tire was getting down to the wear bars. When I looked it up in my log book I was surprised to find that I had over 16,000 miles on it. That compares very well to the 11k average I get out of the old Pilot Roads. Needless to say I am very happy with this new tire. :yahoo:
I've been pretty close to that also with my rear PR2s on both my ST1300 and FJR. The front has a weird wear pattern that develops a ridge in the middle which is where the harder compound is, and is the main reason I change the front before hitting the wear bars. I love PR2s. Now how do we get the freakin price down on these suckers????? :dribble:

doctorj

Since the change to PR2s I am averaging 13k+ on rear and 16k+ on front. The extra 2k loss from the large numbers some of you get is due to riding with the PNW crew a few times a year. They can really help you wear off the edges of the tire.
I'll bet your reduced mileage is due to the rough chip seal left-coast roads. ;) OTOH, since I pay for all the tire, might just as well use it. :D

--G

I am always amazed at the mileage people get. Here in TX the heat combined with the rough asphalt used on many of the roads make them like sandpaper. I got 6700 mi out of the rear PR2 but only 3800 out of an Avon Azaro recently.

I noticed my first PR2 rear tire was getting down to the wear bars. When I looked it up in my log book I was surprised to find that I had over 16,000 miles on it. That compares very well to the 11k average I get out of the old Pilot Roads. Needless to say I am very happy with this new tire. :yahoo:
Mr Dunn, was that a "B" spec tire on the rear?

I am always amazed at the mileage people get. Here in TX the heat
It ain't the heat.

Here in Phoenix I would get anywhere between 9-12k out of a rear Azaro. Once I got 14.7k on an Azaro rear. Currently on my first PR2 rear with only 4k. Hoping for some big numbers.

I am always amazed at the mileage people get. Here in TX the heat
It ain't the heat.

Here in Phoenix I would get anywhere between 9-12k out of a rear Azaro. Once I got 14.7k on an Azaro rear. Currently on my first PR2 rear with only 4k. Hoping for some big numbers.
Didn't you get 16k out of a rear tire once Skooter?

Mr Dunn, was that a "B" spec tire on the rear?

I'm not sure if it makes it a B spec tire but there is the letter B in 2 locations on the sidewall. One is in a number the second is by itself next to the max load data.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a coincidence that a majority of the folks in the hotter and dryer climates have the tire life issue? Maybe it's related to the tire temps being higher therefore making the tire softer and more apt to wear out faster.
I'm in Va and ride fairly aggressive. I had over 12k on the original Metzlers, 10k on a set of PR2's (I changed before a trip to Cali), and 11k on the current PR's that will probably get another 5 out of them.

Maybe humidity is a good thing for tires. Sucks for the rider, but good for a tire?

Just a thought.
Heat will definitely soften rubber and rain should act as a lubricant so humidity may a bit, too. But the bigger difference is that the high mileage guys ride a lot of flat freeway, where there's not much start/stop/left/right. I'll bet you do a fair bit of time on I-81. I've got 4k of mostly commuting on my PR2s and they're just broke in.

I'm going to venture (not much) that these are probably also the guys who watch their tire pressures and get better gas mileage by more gently getting on the gas and brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Tire wear on the rears is normal and predictable. The fronts are a little weird in that theirs a center strip on the tire about 2-3" wide that stands out and then indents on both sides of it. Sort of like a 3" ridge running around the middle of the tire thats in contact with the road. I assume thats the harder dual compound and that the indent toward the sidewall is where it meets the softer rubber. I'm surprised noone has mentioned this wear pattern. It probably affects the handling but isn't really that noticeable just cruising along"

I've mentioned this a couple of places on the forum. I've had the same front tire situation but still got around 14,000 mi. on the front and a bit more on the rear. I've got over 9,000 now on front PR2 and just starting to notice this ridge starting to show. It is predictable just different than when fresh. I have one more set of PR2s from recent buy so will use those next but thinking of running a Pirelli Angel ST on front with PR2 rear in future just to see how this new tire wears.

doctorj

I've got over 9,000 now on front PR2 and just starting to notice this ridge starting to show. It is predictable just different than when fresh. I have one more set of PR2s from recent buy so will use those next but thinking of running a Pirelli Angel ST on front with PR2 rear in future just to see how this new tire wears.
doctorj

dunno how you guys get such high mileage , I have done 11,000kms not miles and my PR2's which are almost gone maybe 1000kays left in them .

Almost always two up and dont commute so we are probably riding a little 'harder' :rolleyes: for most of the time.

A member of the Ozzy FJR forum put and Angel on the rear of his FJR , he wont be putting one on the front , he reckons it slips and slides in the wet.

I will be refitting PR2 in a couple of rides.

BTW we dont get ABC rated tyres ours have a number that indicates the load rating , must be another anomaly;y from your side of the pond .

I noticed my first PR2 rear tire was getting down to the wear bars. When I looked it up in my log book I was surprised to find that I had over 16,000 miles on it. That compares very well to the 11k average I get out of the old Pilot Roads. Needless to say I am very happy with this new tire.

16-18k on the front. 15-16k on rear. Thats on 2 sets so far so the numbers aren't a fluke.
[SIZE=36pt]HOLY CRAP!![/SIZE] :blink: What am I doing wrong?? Seriously, tires are my #1 issue w/the FJR and is causing me the most grief (having to reroute, plan short, etc)... so much so I actually had thoughts of selling the bike I was so frustrated on my last jaunt (details: HERE). I've not tried the PR2 option yet so maybe there is hope!

AGirl
you said it all !!!!!!!!!!! I'am with you, I think these guys must be using a metric speedo,or they run helium so the things no all the way on the black top :clapping:

this will piss a lot of people off!!!!!!!!!

I have three questions ?

1. what are you people riding on ? obviously not a tire eating fjr !

2. are you bull shiting all the rest of us ?

3. and WTF are you smoking ?

this will piss a lot of people off!!!!!!!!!
I have three questions ?

1. what are you people riding on ? obviously not a tire eating fjr !

2. are you bull shiting all the rest of us ?

3. and WTF are you smoking ?

1. Yes, it is an FJR

2. No, can't explain it either--maybe levitation

3. No smoking but speak nice things to tires--they respond

doctorj

DoctorJ...... I get that same ridge on my front tire and have been running metzlers. (2 sets) There's no two compound explanation with those. The theory I'm wondering about is how much do you use your front brake as opposed to rear. I was getting 8000 on fronts before the ridge was just too noticeable and 11000 on the rear. I have a set of Pr 2's in the back room for this summer. My guess is it's just the way you ride, much like myself.