16k PR2 rear tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just what I thought...

What always boggles me is why on my FJR the front always wears first. Not on my other bikes before. And, the OEM Metzeler's uneven wear is something to think of. One thing for sure is we have a well balance sport touring bike that we ride like a sports bike but one weakness of this bike is the front fork.

I dunno, what do you all think? Maybe the front fork needs a brace? Or an inverted fork is in order? This might stabilize the front enough to prevent cupping and other symptoms we report here.

..or I am full of it with this theory..Made me think because I am about to change my second set at 10+k miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
DoctorJ...... I get that same ridge on my front tire and have been running metzlers. (2 sets) There's no two compound explanation with those. The theory I'm wondering about is how much do you use your front brake as opposed to rear. I was getting 8000 on fronts before the ridge was just too noticeable and 11000 on the rear. I have a set of Pr 2's in the back room for this summer. My guess is it's just the way you ride, much like myself.
My miles have come from all over the country since I put this PR2 set on a few weeks right before making a trip in Nov. from Eastern NC to Redding, CA up in Northern CA --bout 3400 mi. each way. I did interstates mostly but did some back roads (two lane) through parts of AZ, Nevada and CA. I don't have large chicken strips but don't burn rubber at starts either. Interstate riding is usually 70-85 depending on location and limits. I run about 39 psi front and 42 rear with the FJR. I'm between 9000 and 10000 mi. now on this set.

Even though the ridge on the front (this is my second set on the bike and have a third waiting in the garage) tire develops for me starting about 8,000 mi. I got 14,000 out of last front since the rubber was still there and I learned the predictable feel of turn in with this ridge so didn't feel it was dangerous to ride with it. It did fine in straightaways but just took a little more pressure on handlebar to initiate a turn (did someone slip a CT on my bike :rolleyes: ). I'm not unhappy with the PR2 since still is better than others, but I wish I could find a front that wore as evenly as the rear PR2 which is unbelievably good. Strangly enough, I have had a couple of sets of PR2s on my other bike (ST1300) and don't get the ridge with them. I guess it is just different geometry or sumpin causing this :unsure: .

doctorj

Ok, just at the end of my third set of PR2's. These I got the most miles out of all 3 set's, mostly I think cause I did more straight slab riding than normal. I run 40 psi front, 42 psi back (I do pay attention), weigh 185lbs, never pack a ton of stuff, rarely ride with a pillion. Wait for it....

5k front, 6k back (I waited till I couldn't stand the front anymore, and let it go to 6k with back, but it was really a hazardous decision, the bike wouldn't hold any line, it was totally shot @ 5k).

I am slapping new rubber on it next week, thinking maybe the new Avon Storms this time.

Interesting and very useful thread.

Hey guys' & gals' how about pics of the tires when you took them off, to give a visual idea of what you considered to be the end of thread life. Clickypics

I am thinking that with some compiled pics of different brands, we could really set up a visual guide on mileage and tire life..just a thought.

I replaced my original Met. Z6 and the front was very tired at 6500 miles. It looked like a racing slick. The rear had a few more miles left. My bike rearly sees any straight road longer than than a mile because I ride it for the twisties in the northen part of Los Angeles County. I am trying a set of Angels and will see how they wear.....

My original Z6's went 16,000 kms. I wasn't the original owner, but I did put on most of those. Rear down to the cords, which I attribute to too much slab on a trip to VT and back. Front could have gone another 1k probably. I really enjoyed those tires (and the balanced feel of the bike). I have put on the newer Z6 Interacs, which are supposed to prevent heat build-up better due to progressive spacing of the cords. We shall see this year.

Heat is the one thing that kills tires..... keep your pressures up and checked.

I ended up with 13k and change on my first set of PR2s. I picked up a nail in the back tire. I think I had another couple k left in them.

I got a new set and will see how they do.

I hit the wear bars on my storms the rear at about 4000 miles. The front looks and feels great. I hate to swap them not quit yet. How far have you dudes ridden into the wear bars on Storms! I will get another pair I really like the feel of them. Great grip and very predictable.

The rear tire is now at 18k and is past the wear bars. I wanted to ride it until it sparked but have a trip to Bristol TN coming up next week. The tire will come off on Monday and I'll post a picture.

My riding is 50% interstate and 50% back road. Most my miles are from my commute of 23 miles. 11 country roads 11 interstate and 1 city. I try to keep my rear tire at 45 psi. Finally I don't know how much of a difference it makes but most of my miles are put on at night or in the early morning.

When I got 1/2 way thru my Lap of California last summer with 12" of belt showing on the rear, the dealership in Eureka, CA only had the Pilot Power 2CT (not Pilot Road 2) - ie the sport tire, dual compound.

I'm well passed the wear bars now, but still have tread. I'm at 810k+ miles and counting :clapping: The back end is defintely getting squirely at this point when leaned over, but fine on the commute

I'm looking forward to putting PR2's on here real soon.

edited 3/19 when I had a few inches of belt showing so installed the PR2 rear. Realized I only got 8k on the Pilot Power 2CT

I am a firm believer that tire wear has a direct coralation to suspension setup. Those of you that are getting poor tire wear, have you corrected the super soft factory settings that came with your bike?

Okay, I can't top the best stories here with total mileage on the PR2, but I can wow y'all with this report: I ran a new set of PR2s in July '08 from Oklahoma thru KS, NB, SD, WY, MT, ID, British Columbia, WA, OR, CA, NV, UT, CO, NM, TX, and back to OK. This trip was 7000 miles, and included 3 top-end runs at Bonneville.

I replaced the front with a new PR2 in 2009, and ran it WITH THE OLD PR2 rear thru MO, IL, IN, OH, PA, NY, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, ME, NH, MA, CT, NY, NJ, MD, DC, VA, NC, TN, SC, GA, AL, MS, and AR, back to OK. And I'm still running on them, with 14,000 total on the rear. That's 36 states and 5 provinces so far. Next month I'm going on a 1600 mile trip to Mexico on them. Top that for tire success, boys and girls.

Has anyone recorded the tread depth of a new PR2?

I'd like to calculate how much tire I've used over the last 9k miles and they still look pretty good (but a little square - thanks to I-5 :angry: )

This thread is encouraging - I've got a 1ok ride planned this summer and would like to go without a mid-trip tire change.

Is within 100miles close enough? I will measure my brand new PR2s - 100 miles maybe when I get it back tomorrow from an 16K service.

When I left last Friday for 750 miles in and around Yosemite I thought I had another 1000 to 2000 on the front and rear. Got back from Yosemite and was cleaning the bike for this weekend and "oh s*t" the sides of the front tire are well past the wear bars and not safe for this weekend in the Sierra foothills. Called a round to check availability and prices.

Called California Sport Touring yesterday and their price for the tires was $265 plus $80 for balancing and mounting and then California taxes and fees. Set up an appointment for this afternoon. Called leaving Foster City, got there 40 minutes later, rolled the bike in, and was back on the road about 60 minutes later! Thanks to Kim, Andy and the gang. Their price was about $20 cheaper than last May.

I'm 6'1" 200#, carry in the side bags a collection of tools, mini-compressor, tire repair kit and layers of clothes. Seldom ride two up, +5 to +15MPH on the freeways, don't brake hard (intentionally) entering the twisties or accelerate aggressively leaving them (maybe a 1/4" chicken strip). Stock fork springs with less and thicker oil, stock shock for the first 29,000 miles (or about 9,000 miles on the PR2s) and the last 7,000 on a Penske (last group buy). Suspension setup by Dave Moss, Catalyst Reaction and tweaked by me (screwed it up! LOL). I have been running at 42/42, fill at 41 to 42.

Got just over 16,800 miles on the standard casing, not the "B" version. Front was shot, rear appears like it might have another 1000. Forgot the damn camera....

One of the earlier posts made a comment that the suspension tuning makes a big difference in tire life. TOTALLY agree! Read HaulinAshe's thread. Explore Dave's tuning guide, Get the sag and preload set for you is critical! You can read the wear on the side tread pattern to tell if the rebound is too loose or tight.

Why do I think I "eat up the front tire" faster than I expected? After installing the Penske rear and getting the fork oil changed and "braking" them in, I found that in corner where I was descending into the apex and then rising leaving the apex the front felt like a "pogo stick" and at times felt it was washing out. I tightened the fork rebound 3 clicks and if felt better. Went on the Yosemite ride and it felt better. Got home saw the front tire wear, called Dave, "what did I do wrong", rode the bike in yesterday, and found the front rebound was too tight and the rear loose. Per Dave this causes the rear to "swing" outward around the front since the front and rear are not working in tandem and results in more tire wear.

The last PR2 "suffered" from the rear stock shock dieing while on a 5000 mile trip and forgetting adjust the rebound on the trip. It will be interesting in having a new set and adjusting the rebound as needed for the wear pattern.

For all of you spys working for Michelin and getting that ultra high milage, I want a job too!

Do you get free tires...1/2 off or what?

For all of you spys working for Michelin and getting that ultra high milage, I want a job too!
Do you get free tires...1/2 off or what?

Just follow the advice freely given on this forum (suspension setup, tire presure/balance, etc.) and you to will improve your tire milage. Getting it on the PR2's are just icing on the cake!

Just follow the advice freely given on this forum (suspension setup, tire presure/balance, etc.) and you to will improve your tire milage. Getting it on the PR2's are just icing on the cake!
I wish it were that simple, but its not. And its mostly my own fault. I dont ride the bike in such a manner as to conserve tires, I could and usually do after I realize I got about 5 or 600 miles left!

I wish it were that simple, but its not. And its mostly my own fault. I dont ride the bike in such a manner as to conserve tires, I could and usually do after I realize I got about 5 or 600 miles left!
Definitely riding style makes a difference. Any way you ride (short of stopped) suspension tuned correctly will improve the miles.

Last year at a Rally, an FJR rider came up to me and asked why my front tire sides looked "so good" and pointed to his. It was badly cupped and heavily chewed up on an GenI bike. He loved to dive into a corner, grab a handful of brakes, and nail it coming out. Had no fork brace and he'd never tuned forks since we got the bike (used). Jee what might be going on.....

I just got 2 new PR2's fitted rode home 100 kilometres and I just measured them and they have 6mm tread depth maximum on the rear at any point and 5 mm maximum tread depth on the front.

Lets see if I can get more than 11,000kms out of this set.

I just got 2 new PR2's fitted rode home 100 kilometres and I just measured them and they have 6mm tread depth maximum on the rear at any point and 5 mm maximum tread depth on the front.

Lets see if I can get more than 11,000kms out of this set.
Thanks,

My rear measures 3mm+ just inside the wear bars in the center, more everywhere else. The front measures 2.5mm. They are wearing fairly evenly too - just a little square / rear cupping. Not bad for 9k miles.