17mm Hex Socket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spalkin

Reaction score
I found this set at Harbor freight Tools. The Lot Number, as they call it, is 93193. It gives you sizes 4mm-8mm, and 10mm in 3/8 drive, and sizes 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm in 1/2 drive. 9 Pieces total, the price, at least in Columbus, is normally $14.99 but on sale this weekend it's $9.97. Too bad there's not a 19mm in it. Just FYI.

clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
My recommendation: McMaster Carr has everything. Prices are good, website powerful, and and delivery is spooky fast. I got a 19mm 1/2 drive hex socket for ~$12 for the front wheel.

-BD

I have that exact set from HF and it works great. The 17mm works on the front wheel of my Shadow and the smaller sockets are handy for the FJR. Well worth it at 9.99

I'm still using the spark plug socket with an extension run inside - works great and I think I paid about 4$ for it at Lowes.

FWIW, a piece of 3/4" brass hex stock fits perfectly.
I think brass would shear off with the torque, no?

Personally, I like having the right tool for the job. Too many rigs have given me sub-par results over the years. IMO, YMMV, YADA YADA YADA.

-BD

"I think brass would shear off with the torque, no?"

3/4" at only 52 ft-lbs, I seriously doubt it.

The specified torque for a 3/4" brass bolt is 104 ft-lbs.

My recommendation: McMaster Carr has everything. Prices are good, website powerful, and and delivery is spooky fast. I got a 19mm 1/2 drive hex socket for ~$12 for the front wheel.
-BD
Thanks for the recommendation. I bought the individual 14 and 19mm hex sockets yesterday morning from Mcmaster Carr. Delivered today, for $31.00 including tax and freight. American made. I have been using nuts on bolts welded together for my axle removal. Stupid, cheapass me. Quality stuff, cheap and fast. The forum helps again!!

What size is the rear wheel hex? I'm assuming 17? I haven't needed one yet, but it would be nice to have around.

I bought a cheap spark plug socket that had the 19mm hex on the end where it snaps onto the 3/8" drive. Used a metal saw to whack off the body of the socket, leaving a nice 3/8-drive, 19mm hex.

Cost $4 and 1/2-hour of my time. Chrome plated steel and all.

I bought a cheap spark plug socket that had the 19mm hex on the end where it snaps onto the 3/8" drive. Used a metal saw to whack off the body of the socket, leaving a nice 3/8-drive, 19mm hex.
I left the thing whole, and it doubles as a spark plug socket. ;)

I left the thing whole, and it doubles as a spark plug socket. ;)
Yeah, but everybody asks me "where did you buy your adapter?" Bet nobody asks you!

:) :rolleyes: :p

Don't forget, guys, that 19mm hex is in your stock tool kit under the seat. I fixed the link in my openning post. Catch it on sale.

kind of pricey, but if you've got numerous bikes like we do, it comes in handy. Cycle Gear also has one, minus the 17mm though.

08-0355.jpg

motraxaxlewrench_310x202.jpg

https://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/..._hex_axle_tool/

https://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&...p;item=MRX_TOOL