19mm Hex Wrench

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSUBOY

Reaction score
Having trouble finding a 19mm hex wrench so that eye can make a front-axle removing tool.

Have made one out of the flipped around spark plug socket but would prefer to make one using a cut-off piece of 19mm hex wrench inserted inside of a 19mm 1/2 socket. Have done the pawn shop thingee and had no luck.

Anyone purchased one from a parts store, etc.?

You will have much better luck finding a 3/4 inch hex which is basically the same size. There used to be a forum member around the Sacramento area selling these (I got mine from him) for $4 or something?

Somebody help an old mind out here. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Having trouble finding a 19mm hex wrench so that eye can make a front-axle removing tool.
Have made one out of the flipped around spark plug socket but would prefer to make one using a cut-off piece of 19mm hex wrench inserted inside of a 19mm 1/2 socket. Have done the pawn shop thingee and had no luck.

Anyone purchased one from a parts store, etc.?
I scored a 14 and 19 socket hex from my local Napa store that also carries tools.

Many other members here have gotten YA10-09-020-00 from Bike Johnnie

Here is the email adderss of the forum member I got mine from pburke <at> ch2m.com ebay member name 200mphbusa

He's in Elk Grove, CA and not Sacto as I first guessed, MM2 you remember who this is?

$6.75 shipped, arrived in a couple of days.

Go to Sears and pick up a cold chisel with a 19mm shaft and cut off half of it. One half for the axle and you can still use the chisel. Use a cut off wheel to cut it and keep it quenched to keep the heat out of it. Works great! Think I paid $6 for it.

Can't you just use a 3/4" coupler with a 3/4" socket? I bought one at Home Depot for $0.88. Nice and tight unless I'm missing something.

Bruce

Can't you just use a 3/4" coupler with a 3/4" socket? I bought one at Home Depot for $0.88. Nice and tight unless I'm missing something.Bruce
You are, but we can't explain it to ya :D :p

McMaster Carr has a 19mm Hex Socket....

McMaster Part Number 5571A79, 12.35+shipping. I had mine the next day.

Have made one out of the flipped around spark plug socket but would prefer to make one using a cut-off piece of 19mm hex wrench inserted inside of a 19mm 1/2 socket.
Curious as to why? I've had the front wheel off over a half-dozen times using this method and it works like a charm. Not being a wise ass, just wondering why you would want to spend money/effort on something if you have something that works.

Have made one out of the flipped around spark plug socket but would prefer to make one using a cut-off piece of 19mm hex wrench inserted inside of a  19mm 1/2 socket.
Curious as to why? I've had the front wheel off over a half-dozen times using this method and it works like a charm. Not being a wise ass, just wondering why you would want to spend money/effort on something if you have something that works.
Some people have too much money! Bike Johnny is what I have because I needed the other part anyway and they come as a set.

I also have the spark plug tool and used it before the Bike Johnny part came.

They both work just as well...

Oh, and Bruce, these are metric bikes. :D :p :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have made one out of the flipped around spark plug socket but would prefer to make one using a cut-off piece of 19mm hex wrench inserted inside of a  19mm 1/2 socket.
Cause um on tha road a lot and like to carry my tools with me. ie., If I travel down to Louisiana from NY and want to change a tire before going back up north, then I will be able to change tha tire with my OWN tools.

Once I work on my bike, the tool that I used to work on it goes in my bag and is ALWAYS on the road with me. The socket with hex wrench thingee will be easier to carry!

Cause um on tha road a lot and like to carry my tools with me. ie., If I travel down to Louisiana from NY and want to change a tire before going back up north, then I will be able to change tha tire with my OWN tools.

Once I work on my bike, the tool that I used to work on it goes in my bag and is ALWAYS on the road with me. The socket with hex wrench thingee will be easier to carry!
That's fair and I am the same way. In my tool kit that I carry, doesn't make a difference if it's a socket or spark plug wrench. I've got a bunch of tools in my kit and could probably field strip my bike down to the bare frame. I'm sure it's overkill, but, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

You cheap bastards! C'mon, loosen those purse strings and support a forum member too!

Clicky!

Pricey, yes, but at what cost bling? Polish it up and make a cherry & glass enclosure for the work bench and be the envy of all your biker buddies! :D

He's in Elk Grove, CA and not Sacto as I first guessed, MM2 you remember who this is?
Yeah, that's Phil who sold his FJR and purchased an ST1300. Rick-in-Sac and I rode to the bike show with him 2 years ago.

I bought one of the universal allens (that fit Yamaha, Kawi and? front axles) from Cycle Gear.

You cheap bastards! C'mon, loosen those purse strings and support a forum member too!
Clicky!

Pricey, yes, but at what cost bling? Polish it up and make a cherry & glass enclosure for the work bench and be the envy of all your biker buddies! :D
Pricey? I've got one of these: Snap-On 19mm! :bleh:

Of course I all ready had it!

You guys are wonderful and thanks for all of the FAST answers. Went over to Sears and found what eye needed!

You cheap bastards!  C'mon, loosen those purse strings and support a forum member too!
Clicky!

Pricey, yes, but at what cost bling?  Polish it up and make a cherry & glass enclosure for the work bench and be the envy of all your biker buddies! :D
Pricey? I've got one of these: Snap-On 19mm! :bleh:

Of course I all ready had it!
Ya see the price for the set.....Oh-My-Gawd!

Sparky,

I do know that this is a metric bike, I knew right away as it says made in Japan and those Japanese always use metric tools! They are too cheap and dumb to buy two sets of tools like us.

However the math could explain my cheap ass attempt to provide a cheap ass solution. 19mm = .748 inches - is that .02 close enough? IF you remove the pinch bolt the 1/2" coupler should allow you to use your 3/4" socket on the 1/2" coupler to remove the axle. I wouldn't use it with an impact, but it is softer than the axle and shouldn't hurt anything, and it only costs $0.88.

Bruce

Sparky,I do know that this is a metric bike, I knew right away as it says made in Japan and those Japanese always use metric tools! They are too cheap and dumb to buy two sets of tools like us.

However the math could explain my cheap ass attempt to provide a cheap ass solution. 19mm = .748 inches - is that .02 close enough? IF you remove the pinch bolt the 1/2" coupler should allow you to use your 3/4" socket on the 1/2" coupler to remove the axle. I wouldn't use it with an impact, but it is softer than the axle and shouldn't hurt anything, and it only costs $0.88.

Bruce
Mine was a joke as your question of "did I miss something" obviously couldn't have much to have missed.

I know you know it is metric, sarcasim... :D