2 up on the fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently purchased the FJR based on its two up ability. Our main concern was a flat seat due to her not wanting to be perched so far above me. My passenger is 5'13" (dont call her 6'1") and 140 lbs. I am 6ft even tipping the scales at 220. We have done 1000 mile plus rides before on Harleys and many 500 or 600 mile days on other bikes as well.

We just completed an 1100 mile weekend and she loved the bike (with the exception of the seat). Immediately we noticed the rear shock was not up to par (centerstand was being ground down every third corner with easy touchdown on the pegs) so I threw an Ohlins on as well as new springs in the front. The suspension some of the best money I ever spent on any bike.

We couldnt be happier two up on the FJR. Good luck.

When test riding an FJR, target the gen-2's, with the longer wheelbase. Stock they have the best setup to work for you.

Fred

i was unaware the Gen 2's had a longer wheelbase. (My bike is Gen 1). if the longer wheelbase translates into more room for 2 up then I might have to reconsider my opinion regarding 2 up long distance on the FJR.

I would not recommend it. The two of you are going to be cramped and uncomfortable on the bike. Forget about what you'll be doing to the hardware, if your scrunched up during your ride, noones gonna be happy. Remember, your both use to having plenty of space since you were riding solo. One big rider and one small rider can be worked out, but not 2 big riders. Your gold wing or BMW LT bound.
My 2 cents

GreyGoose
I think I have to agree with GreyGoose on this one. Unlike others in the thread have mentioned, the answer to this question is not just driven by shocks, springs, and other suspension bits. While you will go through these suspension bits more quickly than those who load lightly, the answer really becomes a matter of what the bike is designed for...the whole package. This gets into performance (suspension already mentioned, but also brakes not sized for the greater energy required to repeatedly stop all that mass, etc.), structural margins in the frame and attachments (a 3-4 g bump shock on 500 vs. 600 lbm), drive line load under hard acceleration, wheel/tire loads and adhesion performance, etc. The weight limit for the bike is posted at 519# if memory serves. This number includes EVERYTHING. Stuff in the bags, farkles, your gear, your wallet...you get the point.

If you are over this (10% say...that's 52#) you are using the system above what it was designed for and there will be repercussions. Usually this is only wear and tear but may include operating safety issues. If you're WAY over (say 20-30% or 100# to 150#) then you are likely using many of the elements of the system above what they are designed for and are beginning to encroach on structural margins especially if you hit large bumps over loaded AS WELL AS encroaching on operating safety limits. And keep in mind that structural margins are NOT there to be used up...they are there to protect you from uncertainties in the analyses about what the bike CAN do as well as uncertainties about how it will be operated in practice. Basically it's there to protect you. When you exceed the carrying capacity you are adding risk to your adventure.

A bike that is designed to operate with a carrying capacity 650+ lbs is going to be significantly different in some basic details compared to this bike: CG location; wheelbase; tire size & rating; brake size and construction, power plant and drive line design & tuning; the list goes on and on.

Anyway, it sounds like you are looking at operating over that design limit at 2-up as soon as you leave the showroom and that's not the best place to begin operating. Look for something that gives you a little more margin at the outset.

Add to this "engineering" assessment that the bike isn't the most comfortable perch for 2 larger people...there are better options out there from that perspective as well.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
After having my fjr for two seasons, my wife and I had a chance to demo a brand new goldwing. Where it is a great bike, I wouldn't trade my fjr for one. Contrary to what is said here, I don't think there is that much more room for riders. And after 2 years on the fjr, she did not prefer the elevated seating position of the wing. More Room for Gear maybe, but not riders.

That said, Yesterday it finally warmed up enough for momma to get on the bike for a short ride. If anyone is going to ride 2 up with any kind of load. Spend the change for GP or Race tech upgrades. Before, just myself on the bike and it would sag 4 to 5 inches. I think they put in a 900 lb rear spring. Afterward there is less than an inch of sag. And with both of us not much more noticable sag, and the handling is great. She even noticed it.

The platform is perfectly capable of this kind of abuse. Oh, and I think the extra 3/4 inch of wheelbase is a non factor. Other benefits of a gen 2 are worth the extra change.

Just my humble opinion of 40k worth of riding the thing.

Lots of good comments so far. Something perhaps overlooked by some of the posters is body shape. Yes, the bike will handle the weight. Suspension upgrades will be in the short term future for best results. And I think Wee Willy has some valid points too. However, apple or pear comes into play too.

For me and the former SO, the body shapes meant my gut pushing into the tank bag and the boys getting a little tight to the tank with her gut pushing against my lower back. (I know, not a pretty picture, but lets face it, this needs to be mentioned) The back rest allowed her some upper torso movement and the girls, while substantial, where not pushed up against me unless she chose to huddle against me due to being cold or twisty road action. It was common for me to ask her to slide back when I got on the bike. Seemed like where she wanted to sit was always just a little forward of what I could call comfortable.

In gear I was 300 at the time and she was 210. Both more apple shaped.

Funky

One other thing you may want to consider, you can pull a trailer with the bike. That let's you keep the saddle bags loaded lightly. There would be no need for a trunk. A back rest would be easier to place for the added room. A custom seat would place the passenger back a bit more. All the weight that would normally be stuffed on the back of the bike would be placed in the trailer. You won't even know it was tagging along after a while.

Good luck with your decision.

Enjoy!

Brodie

If you're WAY over (say 20-30% or 100# to 150#) then you are likely using many of the elements of the system above what they are designed for and are beginning to encroach on structural margins especially if you hit large bumps over loaded AS WELL AS encroaching on operating safety limits.
Food for thought:

Below is an excerpt from the 1st Gen (2005) Owners manual:

[from Safety Information (pg 1-3)

The total weight of the operator, passenger, accessories and cargo must not exceed the maximum load limit of

FJR1300 200kg (441 lbs) (CAL)

FJR1300 201kg (443 lbs) (U49)

FJR1300A 193 kg (425 lbs) (CAL)

FJR1300A 194 kg (428 lbs) (U49)

Note that the 2nd gen ups the max load by 40 lbs, so I guess hefty folks should get the 2nd gen A's? :rolleyes: :

from 2nd Gen Bin of Facts
Maximum load

467# USA A Model (465 CA model)

459# USA AE Model (456 CA model)

So there ain't no "500" lb limit. The biggest capacity is 467 lbs for the U49 2nd gen A model with other models/years being considerably less.

And never overload those side bags. The load spec for those is 20 lbs. And the weight limit for the trunk rack is 7 lbs.

Also don't forget that Yamaha specifies the touring trunk should only be used with the side bags removed.

:blink:

Well...According to my MOM (Motorcycle Owners Manual) the MAXIMUM loading is 467 lbs. They define maximum loading as the "total weight of rider, passenger, cargo and accessories".

You may want to find another bike.

Here are a couple of pictures of wife and I that I'm about to send to Russell for a new seat. I am 6'2 and 200. Wife is 5'8 and weight propotionate. We are not as cramped as we appear since the excess material of the jackets adds some volume. Also, we have a Shad SH50 Topcase with the cushion back rest that prevents her from leaning back further but that doesn't change the room on the seat. Hope this helps.

IMG_0786.JPG

All this talk about 2 up is making me nervous. I'm 2 weeks away from my cross country trip and the thoughts of aftermarket shocks / springs, etc never crossed my mind...

I'm 5'7" 180# and she's 5'6" 125# on the 09 FJR (genII)

If I understand correctly, humans, gear, bags, and accessories should be no more than 467#

If my math is right, that leaves 162# for the rest of the stuff...

Are these healthy numbers for the bike on a 3-4 week trip for two across the US?

Are these healthy numbers for the bike on a 3-4 week trip for two across the US?
Depends.

You done 20,000 miles on the shock by yourself, notice it's getting softer, and now about to add a second person? Then quite possibly an issue.

You've put 5,000 riding two up all this time and never noticed an issue? Then not likely an issue.

The stock shock is not the most robust unit in the world, is not servicable, and goes south the more you use it. Consider it a wear item.

Depends.

You done 20,000 miles on the shock by yourself, notice it's getting softer, and now about to add a second person? Then quite possibly an issue.

You've put 5,000 riding two up all this time and never noticed an issue? Then not likely an issue.

The stock shock is not the most robust unit in the world, is not servicable, and goes south the more you use it. Consider it a wear item.
lol. It's got 1.2K miles on it (bought it new 0mi.) about half of those miles are 2 up. So far, no issues...that i could tell. thanks for your comment =)

Yeah, with your weights you should be fine.

Heck, the two of you at 305 weigh less than quite a few of the riders on this forum do by themselves! :eek:

My wife and I come in at about the same total (but I use up more of our allowance) and I'm still riding on the stock shock at 33k miles. Would I like to get a better rear damper, sure. Love to slap a nice Ohlins on the back. Soon as I win the mega bucks. But we aren't pogo'ing or anything nasty like that.

You'll be fine. Just teach wifey to pack light (a really good idea anyway) and enjoy the ride. No point sweating all the minute details.

Have you considered the BMW 1200 RT ? It can carry about 520 lbs, has a good stock suspension, and handles 2-up very nicely. Not quite as much room as a Wing, but a sporty ride in the twisties.

Have you considered the BMW 1200 RT ? It can carry about 520 lbs, has a good stock suspension, and handles 2-up very nicely. Not quite as much room as a Wing, but a sporty ride in the twisties.

Not really a great choice.....local dealers charge WAY too much for the brie and caviar in the waiting rooms.

3500 miles in 6 days riding 8 days total.

Minnesota to Calgary CN, Banff CN Jasper CN, Glacier National Park, Sturgis SD back home to Minnesota.

This summer 3 weeks for northern route to Portland OR, San Diego Zoo, back north to Bosie ID then back home to Minnesota.

Pilot 265 pounds

Pilon 190 pounds

Clothes for 8 days +40 pounds

https://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae328/d...acieronbike.jpg

All this talk about 2 up is making me nervous.
You'll be fine. Last year the wife and I took several extended trips of the FJR. The bike perfomed flawlessly.

And the addition of a Russell seat has made ALL the difference in the world!

As Fred mentioned - pack light. Both of ya. What I'd do is take a shorter 'warm-up' trip, maybe an overnighter or maybe 2 nights, and pay close attention to what you packed vs. what you used. Packing light is an art. Luckily, Mrs. BG is very good at it. With some of the synthetics out there, you'd be amazed at what you can wash in a hotel room sink.

Oh - be sure to take lots of pictures while on your trip and give us a nice ride report! Mrs. BG rides with a camera on a lanyard around her neck and takes LOTS of pictures while we ride.

If you like sport riding I would rule out the Goldwing. I just sold my 01 and if you do any spirited riding you will be dragging pegs, and other hard parts. The suspension is in need of serious work, I did the gold valves and was still unhappy with it. Any bump seems to transfer straight to the rider and as far as weight limits the owners manual for the 01 1800 says weight limits for passenger and cargo are 425 pounds so that puts it in the FJR category as far as weight goes. So do you want to ride a whale or something more nimble (FJR). Only you and your SO can decide.