2-up problem - anyone else?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first returned to riding I bough a couple of 3/4 HJC helmets and experienced severe turbulence. I believe all the air comes up under the face shield and blows your head all around. I bought a full face helmet and solved 80% of the problem. You will always have some turbulence especially around trucks and I think the passenger experiences more than the driver. Could also try taller windshield.

The gravity of yer planetary melon is attracting the SO's head into some kind of orbit. :wacko:

edit: I'm not sure why noone's caught onto this one yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have come across this problem also. The wife just moves her head around till it quits I guess. I can't see from behind whatever she does makes it go away.
It's a good thing you can't see what she does. I promised her I wouldn't tell. :rolleyes:

My GF is within two inches of my height. I've felt the problem you described with my CB +4/+2 flip. But I don't think as severe as you describe. It's never been a problem with one of my much shorter daughters on the back.

This much I do know, a Top Bag helps reduce the effect. If you are comfortable doing so, try placing your clutch hand on top of your helmet to see if it changes things. You have to spoil the airflow so that the turbulence wake breaks up before it hits her position. Also try extending and collapsing your elbows to change the side wake (chicken dance).

There are some phenomenal aerodynamic forces at work and a TON of variables based on body size, helmet shape etc.

Don't disregard the air passing from under your chin bar into the helmet itself. Use your hand to block/restrict that air flow and see if that makes a difference. Sometimes a chin guard can change things dramatically.

Good luck!

I bought my bride her very own Suzuki Burgman. No more poking in the ribs during those run-ups to triple digits.
In fact, after a few miles of triple digits no more bride behind you either :lol:

The first couple of times I rode the bike with my wife I experienced the exact same thing. It sucked. Once we added the top box (with backrest) it just went away.

Without the backrest, she hangs on to me (snuggles?) and her head is much closer to mine -- obviously in just the wrong spot. With the backrest, she leans back a little farther away and the turbulance vanishes.

The first couple of times I rode the bike with my wife I experienced the exact same thing. It sucked. Once we added the top box (with backrest) it just went away.
Without the backrest, she hangs on to me (snuggles?) and her head is much closer to mine -- obviously in just the wrong spot. With the backrest, she leans back a little farther away and the turbulance vanishes.
We have found the same thing with the same results.

We have found the same thing with the same results.
Similar results here also. Our problem was always with the shield full up, but not as bad as you experienced. Top case solved it plus lowering the shield to a "sweet spot" -- you'll find it. CalSci cutouts in the shield will help a lot with air flow.

I'm kinda suprised that no one has suggested trying Skyway's windshield spacers. For less than $30.00 it's well worth a try. If that doesn't work, get a new girlfriend and see if the turbulence subsides.

A couple have posted that the topcase has helped, so it must change the wind flow and solve the vortex behind the passenger.

Do you ride with a topcase? Try the Skyway spacers first....it sounds like there isn't a likely budget-minded fix, so I again offer this explanation:

It sounds like you have purchased one of the very rare "SOLO" fjrs. I've heard of them but this is the first report of one in the continental United States.
:lol:

I guess I have a solo Gen I FJR too.No matter what mods I do wife wont ride any farther than dinner out a few miles away or a fifty mile run to see my folks is about as far as she will go.Together riding the stock FJR,the turbulence was a real bugger on her.Not pleasant to me either.Changed to the Rifle Tour with the block,trashed our 3/4 helmets and changed to Nolan N102 which has its own rumble strip built in.Big dollars spent but was a dramatic change.Much quieter, almost car like and easier to talk on the intercom too.Hope the rumble strips work for you.I would first ride without the windscreen two up then experiment from there.At least that is free.Are you heading off to the Dragon?If you are try driving it on a weekday,not on a weekend especially a holiday weekend.Memorial Day,Fourth of July and Labor Day are weekends insane with the crowds.

Without the backrest, she hangs on to me (snuggles?) and her head is much closer to mine -- obviously in just the wrong spot. With the backrest, she leans back a little farther away and the turbulence vanishes.
Now that you mention that. . . I added the luggage rack with back rest, she now sits back and she has not complained about the turbulence.

Without the backrest, she hangs on to me (snuggles?) and her head is much closer to mine -- obviously in just the wrong spot. With the backrest, she leans back a little farther away and the turbulence vanishes.
Now that you mention that. . . I added the luggage rack with back rest, she now sits back and she has not complained about the turbulence.
When my wife rides she has two backrests. The one from the topcase and a Corbin backrest that FJRob fabricated a holder for us. The corbin works down low, the topcase for the upper back if she leans back. She complained about the turbulence with the HJC flip helmet. She got a full face with a wing on it and hasn't had a problem since.

All good suggestions to help solve the problem. I just might add as we should already know, if you grab the chin bar on the helmet with the chin strap securely tightend around the chin, try and move the helmet up, down, and side to side. If any movement is noticed on the head, the helmet is too big. A common problem that produces the symptom's here. And I was checking out one of these myself to maybe help with noise but also might help with this situation if helmet related....Helmet Skirt. Hope this helped. PM. <>< :D

All good suggestions to help solve the problem. I just might add as we should already know, if you grab the chin bar on the helmet with the chin strap securely tightend around the chin, try and move the helmet up, down, and side to side. If any movement is noticed on the head, the helmet is too big. A common problem that produces the symptom's here. And I was checking out one of these myself to maybe help with noise but also might help with this situation if helmet related....Helmet Skirt. Hope this helped. PM. <>< :D
+1

on new helmet day our coach used to say, "If ya like way it fits, we'll order you a smaller one!" He was right. When new it should be a bit snug. When I bought my Shoei RF1000 I thought Id wear it a few days and at least have to switch to the thinner cheek pads. Never did. One advantage of Shoei's are the various liners available for a "custom" fit. Being properly snug makes a big difference in noise after they are broken in.

Thanks all!

We just completed 1200 miles in 4 days and my wife rocks! Dragon 2x, Cherohula, Foothills parkway, and Blue Ridge Pkwy for 250 miles. Almost 600 miles on the interstates to get there and back. Based on the consensus here, she changed her seating position (sitting back and upright, holding the grab bars instead of me) and the buffeting vanished except for what is to be expected at 70 and 80mph with the windshield in the full down position. We ordered rumble strips too, but didn't use them...the HJC CL-SP has some contours that make installation difficult. Who would have thought 4 inches of positioning a person could make such a difference!

Thanks, again. This forum rocks!

:yahoo:

Just came across this thread and had to remark that my SO and I experienced the same movements after buying full face helmets (Vega's). I don't notice this while riding solo and have tried different windshield positions with my passenger. Seems that at about 1/4 raised, the bobbing is diminished but I can still feel it when going around trucks and riding in cross winds. Probably due to the helmet-windflow interaction.

I would be interested in any improvements found on this forum.

Latest posts