2002 Bandit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
Its an 02 Bandit S.

Do they come in 600/1200?

I know nothing about this bike, but I want something with a front fairing as I peice back together my FJR.

Anybody have one, rode one, think they suck ass???? Just curious, I dont expect it to do what the FJR does, but I've heard they are pretty good bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had 2 bandits (1200), and they both sucked! I bought the first one used. Someone had a post about believing motorcycle mag reviews...well they dropped the ball on this one. Talked about all the gobs of power..they must have come off a 500 cc because it wasn't there. So after having a few more aggravations I sold it.

Then one day I come across a brand new one..highly reduced in price and thought hey, maybe the used one I bought was screwed up by the previous owner.

Once again a serious lack of power...so I contact a guy up the street from me who has spent his whole life working on bikes. We drop a stage one kit in it along with timing advance. Better..but after 400 miles it left me stranded :angry: . We tried everything and even called a local Suzi dealer. They said "i dunno but there's this guy that works on them around you". I told him he was standing right beside me. (they called him out by name). The dealer said if he can't fix it..we surely can't. The mechanic ended up buying it off of me and traded it, still screwed up, on something else. Maybe just my bad luck but that was with 2 different bandits...now the zrx1100 on the other hand :yahoo: .

Last edited by a moderator:
I owned an '01 Bandit 1200S. Other than it not wanting to start if the temps dropped below about 45F, it was a great bike. Lots of torque just about everywhere but buzzy in the upper rpms. Overall, it was a screaming bargain in terms of power, brakes and handling for the price.

I owned an '01 Bandit 1200S. Other than it not wanting to start if the temps dropped below about 45F, it was a great bike. Lots of torque just about everywhere but buzzy in the upper rpms. Overall, it was a screaming bargain in terms of power, brakes and handling for the price.
That is what interested me in it. This lady is selling her 02 with 1100 miles. She just never rides. Doesn't even have the battery installed. I could probably take it off her hands for $3500.

Like I said, I don't expect it to do what the FJR will, but I figured it would have more power than an SV650. However, the SV650 is probably wayyyy more nimble and that can be fun too.

I still have my '99 Bandit 1200 that I bought new. My girlfriend has been riding it since I got the FJR last year. It always had plenty of power for me. I've got over 50,000 miles on it and never replaced anything other than the usual oil, brakes, tires, battery, chain, etc. The only time it wouldn't start was due to a corroded clutch safety switch. We just finished a 400 mile roundtrip together last weekend and it ran fine.

'01 1200S here. 15k miles. Gas and oil. Good power and torque, completely stock. Great value. Use it for local/day trips as heat is not the factor it is on FJR. Will be selling for new 1250S solely for ABS. FWIW, I'm 145 lbs. Suspension may be an issue for heavier guys.

George