2004 FJR 1300 VIN Number Info

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldBoy123

Reaction score
I was wondering if any one knows what the VIN LETTERS & NUMBERS mean?

I have just purchase a 2004 FJR 1300. And please don't ask for my VIN #.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if any one knows what the VIN LETTERS & NUMBERS mean?I have just purchase a 2004 FJR 1300. And please don't ask for my VIN #.
I have the insurance book that deciphers the VIN, but of course I would need the number....

Up to you if you want it. All the numbers except the last 4 or 5 mean something and probably match between all bikes. The last few are sequence numbers specific to your bike. You could tell someone all but the last 4 with no issues.

J.

Ok...Yamaha VIN's are broken down as follows:

1st 3 letters are the World Manufacuturer Identifier

Ok...4-7 are funny. If pos. 4 is a letter, 4-7 identify the model and 8 identifies the Country and Emissions (as in europe or US emissions) . If pos. 4 is numeric, 4-6 identify the model and 7 identifies the Country and Emissions.

If VIN position 4 is numeric, #8 uses C-competition, 0-non competiton, 3-uncertified off road use for California.

9 is the check digit (this is all VINs)

10 is model year (again all VINs)

11 is the assembly plant

12-17 is the sequential production number.

So...if you have a 2003 FJR made in the Hamamatsu, Japan plant, the VIN should look sumthin like this:

JY4RP07E*3A******

The first * is the check digit which I won't know, and the last 5 * are the sequence, so the first 2003 sequence should have been 000001. If you ever get a vehicle with the last 4-5 numbers looking like that; keep it. It's valuable.

Ok...Yamaha VIN's are broken down as follows: 1st 3 letters are the World Manufacuturer Identifier

Ok...4-7 are funny. If pos. 4 is a letter, 4-7 identify the model and 8 identifies the Country and Emissions (as in europe or US emissions) . If pos. 4 is numeric, 4-6 identify the model and 7 identifies the Country and Emissions.

If VIN position 4 is numeric, #8 uses C-competition, 0-non competiton, 3-uncertified off road use for California.

11 is the assembly plant

So...if you have a 2003 FJR made in the Hamamatsu, Japan plant, the VIN should look sumthin like this:

JY4RP07E*3A******

The first * is the check digit which I won't know, and the last 5 * are the sequence, so the first 2003 sequence should have been 000001. If you ever get a vehicle with the last 4-5 numbers looking like that; keep it. It's valuable.
I sent him the info yesterday, but I should have posted it on here for everyone else. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last winter I was looking at used engines. I asked the collective to verify my decoding of the VINs. Very helpful borrec passed on a web site as recommended by pawtracks (everyone take a well deserved bow :lol: ).

>>VIN Decoding Web Site<< The number that is already submitted is for a very low mileage '04 engine in perfect condition that a salvage yard was trying to sell me. The engine was actually a '03, and it is unit # 146 -- one of the first off the boat.

This site may need a link in the Bin 'O Facts if it isn't already there.

Ok...Yamaha VIN's are broken down as follows: 1st 3 letters are the World Manufacuturer Identifier

11 is the assembly plant

JY4RP07E*3A******

I sent him the info yesterday, but I should have posted it on here for everyone else. Thanks.

That means mine was number 58 off the boat. I wonder if that is good or bad?

Mark

That means mine was number 58 off the boat. I wonder if that is good or bad?
Mark
Not necessarily! We've found, over the years at different WFO's (where swag was awarded to the lowest VIN) that there are differing "series", so there could be two that had the last digits the same. At least that was the case @ WFO-2 and WFO-3. Things might have changed.... :rolleyes:

Not necessarily! We've found, over the years at different WFO's (where swag was awarded to the lowest VIN) that there are differing "series", so there could be two that had the last digits the same. At least that was the case @ WFO-2 and WFO-3. Things might have changed.... :rolleyes:
Nope...You're absolutely correct. The last 4-5 are the build number of that SPECIFIC series of bike. So, a 2008 AE can have the same last 5 as a 2008 A, but they are a different model (series) so the VIN will differ elsewhere. I donno if two of the same model bike made at different plants or in different countries could have the same last 5, but it's possible. I guess I hadn't thought about it till now.

Last winter I was looking at used engines. I asked the collective to verify my decoding of the VINs. Very helpful borrec passed on a web site as recommended by pawtracks (everyone take a well deserved bow :lol: ).
>>VIN Decoding Web Site<< The number that is already submitted is for a very low mileage '04 engine in perfect condition that a salvage yard was trying to sell me. The engine was actually a '03, and it is unit # 146 -- one of the first off the boat.

This site may need a link in the Bin 'O Facts if it isn't already there.
added to the 06+ bin-o-facts. thanks ionbeam!