2004 Headlights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4vX

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 2004 FJR brochure and noticed two small lights illuminated in the upper/outboard section of the headlights in many of the pictures. I looked at my '04 and noticed the lights are there, but they do not illuminate. Anyone have any thoughts on what they're for and why mine don't work?

4vX

Because some owners have added LED (or small incandescent) lamps to that area. In OEM trim, there is no light socket behind that part of the lens.

Another possibility is that the photos were taken using a European model of the bike. I think I recall reading that the lighting standards there require some small "running lights" in addition to the headlights... or it could be my old age/failing cognitive powers at work again. :rolleyes:

Don

Another possibility is that the photos were taken using a European model of the bike.
Gunny. They're referred to as "city lights" and used on bikes with headlights that normally don't turn on with the engine, unlike North American models, but not sure if Euro or Pacific Rim Feejs are "always on" like the N.A. models.

On the European models the front turn signal lights don't have dual element bulbs. So they're strictly turn signals, not also running or position lights.

The additional small bulbs near the headlights are auxiliary or position lights.

QUOTE (Constant Mesh @ Mar 11 2009, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On the European models the front turn signal lights don't have dual element bulbs. So they're strictly turn signals, not also running or position lights.

The additional small bulbs near the headlights are auxiliary or position lights.

Used when parked and lights are required (key in "P" or Park position).

(Click on image for larger view)

Lights visible in this (daytime garaged) shot

Rear lights on as well (of course), and hazard lights available. There's a warning in the handbook about not leaving this lot on too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike has them also. We refer to them as PARK lights.

If you turn your key to lock the ignition, and turn it one clip further, your park lights stays on with the bike switched off and steering locked.

I have an European model, with flashing switch for headlights also :yahoo:

Here we are not allowed to have our turning signals stay on while riding. Some guys do the conversion, but they get heavy fines for it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently acquired a 2004 FJR brochure and noticed two small lights illuminated in the upper/outboard section of the headlights in many of the pictures. I looked at my '04 and noticed the lights are there, but they do not illuminate. Anyone have any thoughts on what they're for and why mine don't work?4vX
U.S. models don't have the lights. Are you 100% sure you're seeing the lights....or a little round area of plastic that a light looks like it could go in easily??

You didn't say whether you got it new or used....but if used....maybe somebody tried this farkle, but isn't working.