2005 FJR Gear Shift Speeds

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading the 2005 manual and it indicated that upshifts should be done at the following speeds:

1st -> 2nd: 12.5 MPH

2nd -> 3rd 19 MPH

3rd -> 4th 25 MPH

4th -> 5th 31 MPH
I usually shift out of 1st at 12.6 mph so I'm obviously a MADMAN!!! Muuuuwhaaahaaahaaa!!!! :unsure:

Those stated shift speeds are insanely stupid. the bike's redline range is 9000-11000 rpm on the tach. I don't think that shifting at 4000, 5000 or 6000rpm regularly is going to hurt the bike. These are higher rev sport bike style powerplants. They like to be reved up some IMO.

I shift by feel and don't pay too much attention to the tach. But I am 100% sure I'm not shifting into 5th at 31 freaking mph!

My father-in-law is one who hates revving a motor. He rode his Honda Shadow to my place once shortly after I got the Feej, to take a look at the bike. My house is a corner lot, driveway on the "side" street. When he left, he turned out of the driveway and made the right onto the "main" street, and he was in third before he got to my mailbox, 50 feet from the corner! Josh and I just stood there with our jaws hanging open, wondering how the motor could pull from what had to be less than idle. (Of course when Josh rode the Shadow, he got fussed at for over-revving.)

I was reading the 2005 manual and it indicated that upshifts should be done at the following speeds:

2nd -> 3rd 19 MPH

3rd -> 4th 25 MPH

4th -> 5th 31 MPH
If I'm pokin' through town during lunch-hour traffic, those look like perfectly good shift speeds to me. What's the big deal? I try to avoid 9k rpm shifts when the crosswalks are full of pedestrians.

2nd -> 3rd 19 MPH

3rd -> 4th 25 MPH

4th -> 5th 31 MPH
If I'm pokin' through town during lunch-hour traffic, those look like perfectly good shift speeds to me. What's the big deal? I try to avoid 9k rpm shifts when the crosswalks are full of pedestrians.
Thanks RadioHowie, for thinking of us Old Retirees.

PS: I think I've got a shot at the hot babe on the left!

florida_retirees.jpg

The bike should absolutely, positively be shifted between 1800 and 9000 RPM (redline). Where in this range depends upon exactly 1,000,006 factors.