2005 Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paint

Reaction score
I have two friends-actually,more than two but ,in this case,it is only two about whom I am talking-who rode my '03,loved it and bought '05s on the "Yamaha plan".

In both cases,when the bikes arrived,neither of these guys liked them at all. We tried setting the sag,air pressure,adding insulation,cursing and blessing but they were both unhappy.

One of them tried unsucessfully to sell his bike but couldn't find anyone who liked it well enough to buy it.

He finally ran up enough miles to need new tires and,on the advice of the various forum participants,put on Avons. The tire change led to a total change in his opinion of the bike so the other guy made the switch. They are both happy as clams now.

Both bikes came with Metzlers. Both switched to Avons as I did (from BT020s) a long time ago and both guys went from being very disapointed to very happy.

Any similar experiences or comments?

I came from a CBR 954 (still have it) and didn't think anything if the heavy steering considering I was used to an ultra light bike. It just seemed 'normal' to me because of the 200+ pounds of extra bike I was pushing around. After putting about 6k on the stock Metzler tires, I installed a set of Avons. The bike definitely seemed alot lighter, and easier to throw into corners. As a matter of fact, I scared myself the first time I came into a turn after installing the tires and pushing hard on the bars just to find out I was giving them waaaaaay too much pressure.

I never considered getting rid of the bike because of this though. Like I said, it just seemed like it would be the case the steering would be heavier than what I was used to.

I just switched from the BT020 to Avons. I'm a little disappointed now. My front tire used to sing to me in corners, now its very quiet (and confident) Glad I made the switch. I've barely scrubbed them in yet , about 200 miles. So far been happy. I even had a full pull right hand panic stop with only 50 miles on them. Very secure. I'm still getting used to the 'Avon Wiggle' in the 10 mph range. I don't notice any such behavior over 20mph. I am purposely running the pressure a little lower than normal (34F 36R) during scrub in. Prolly will move up to 36/40 this weekend. My observations...

Maybe that's why as Radman sorta said new rubber "brought jesus to me" on my FJR It just feels a bunch more confident and secure in the corners. Lighter and more maneuverable, too. Of course, after 10.5K miles, it took me a long time to get used to lousy tires. Maybe they were plenty good when I was a novice FJR pilot? Dunno. At any rate....

So long Metzler! Good ridance!

I was out of the riding scene for a couple of years after selling my V-Max, so when I got onto the FJR, everything (except the exhaust note & cool factor) was a huge improvement even with the Metzeler tires. Until I put on the AVON's. :D I was utterly amazed at how much better the FJR handles with the AV45/46 combo. Good stuff fo' sho.

I'll be changing my tires in the spring. I have 11K on the MEZ4's and there is enough tread left to last the rest of the season, I'm in NE IL. I'm not as aggressive as some of you, yet, so the Z4's seem okay to me.

I'll probably go with the AVON set up but the Perelli Diablo Strada's may be an alternative. Anyone have the Perelli's on now and what are your thoughts on them?

Grnarrowe

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Pirellis on my bike now, or did. I just took off the back after about 6000 miles and am replacing it with an Avon. I'm planning to leave the Pirelli on the front with the possible plan of running mixed tire brands from now on. I really like the Pirelli tread pattern up front but the back starts out with no tread in the middle. I found it hard to gauge the wear that way. Hopefully, I can get by with one front tire for every two rears.

Hope to receive my set of Avons from FJR Goodies tomorrow and have em installed next week! Toecutter..sorry for the mesagge..I thought I was replying to this thread~

Grnarrowe,

I would have classified myself as a less than aggressive rider. Then I replaced my Z4s with Avons and the confidence they gave me made me a more aggressive driver. Whether this is a good thing I don't know but I definitely use a lot more of the bike. I have even been grinding a peg in a corner or two! :)

gypsy

Love the Avons. They change the handling characteristics dramatically over the Metz Z-4s. Corning now feels very neutral compared to the clumsy OEM Metz Z-4s.

I was happy with the stock battle axes on my 05. When the time came to replace them I was going to go with Avons from Sunnyside. I ended up getting the Michelin road pilots because of an unexpected long ride coming up and I didn't have time to make it to Sunnyside. Anyway I don't know how the Avons are but the Road pilots are far superior to the Bridgestones. In about 6 or 7 thousand miles I will try the Avons.

Just my 2 cents

Still running stock Metz's on my '05. I came to the FJR via the Kawi Concours, a much longer and heavier bike, so the FJR seems nimble in comparison, even with the Metz tires. Only in VERY tight hairpin turns riding 2-up at slow speed does the bike seem sluggish froma handling perspective. I attributed this to riding a big bike with 2 people, and maybe the passenger being frightened of the tight turns and not leaning with me 100%, despite my moderate pace riding 2-up. But now I see it's perhaps a tire issue as well - Avons will be my next set of skins. Everyone seems to like them.

I had Metzlers on my VFR, they came stock on my '05 FJR delivered '04, and on both bikes they were pretty good when new but after about 3000 miles they made the bike feel like a log. My other complaint is these are the only tires I've had a problem repairing on the road (maybe the steel belt). They have NOT been more puncture proof than any other tire I have run.

Brad (FNG forever)

Just a thought and a little different idea instead of it always being the tires could it be one's riding style for corning ? Or could it be mind over matter(tires)?? I ave the newest metz on my 05 and ilike them but I would also like to try the avons when i put new road shoes on next year.

:alien: :alien: :alien:

Getting Z6s next even with the stories of them coming apart. In fact I am putting them on my FZ1 as well.

Anyone here on the Pilot Roads? I just don't know that I could ride on a tire called "Avon" :haha:

-r

I ran the Stones till the cupping was too annoying in the front end, then ran three sets of Pilot road rears with Pilot sport front combo. Bike handled great, never slipped. I just put the Avons on before WFO and have to say they are a touch better than the Pilots. Very stable tires, turn in in the twisties is great, I'll be running these for a while! Have about 3000 miles on them so far, and they look pretty good, I averaged about 6500 with the Michelins. B)