2005 Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
/bike came with the Metz Z4's and they seem fine for my riding style and 38psi. Run the suspension as suggested in June 2005 SportRider. Have 4,000 miles so far with wear on the rear out to the sidewalls. Look like they will be good for at least 5k miles. Maybe I will have to next try the Avons so many rave about.

just a couple of observations...

any new tire will handle far better than any worn out tire. I have pirelli diablo corsas on my FJR right now and I can tell a big difference of the handling now that I have 4k miles on them.

there is also a big difference in the metzelers. the OE z4 has a very different profile/handling than the Z6. I rode a buddies R6 with a z4 rear and it's a much flatter profile compared to a z6. just didn't want to turn in like it did with something like an M1.

You doggone OtherWorlders need ta quit postin' yer damn tire wear in them funny K's and start converting everything ta miles like we do here in the Yoonited Staytes of Uhmurricuh. How the hell do ya expect us under educated yahoos to know what the hell yer talkin' about if ya don't speaks English? Hell, ya'll didn't get all that free gummint education fer nuthin', did ya? :haha:

After 5000 miles, the Metz Z4's are sacked (mostly the rear). Gonna try the Avons. Gotta wonder how this bike would work with a dual compound tire, hard in the center and softer on the sides. Prolly get a good deal of cupping, but they might last for a bit. :eh:

05 FJR tire history

Z-4 Rear - 7400 miles in 9 weeks time had to change it out Z-6

Z-6 Rear - Got a nail after 7000 miles on it put on new Z-6

Z-4 Front 14,400 miles changed to Z-6

Now have front and back Z-6 with total miles on bike 17,860 miles and got some time yet before switching.

Will try Avons next. :dribble:

You doggone OtherWorlders need ta quit postin' yer damn tire wear in them funny K's and start converting everything ta miles like we do here in the Yoonited Staytes of Uhmurricuh. How the hell do ya expect us under educated yahoos to know what the hell yer talkin' about if ya don't speaks English? Hell, ya'll didn't get all that free gummint education fer nuthin', did ya? :haha:
After 5000 miles, the Metz Z4's are sacked (mostly the rear). Gonna try the Avons. Gotta wonder how this bike would work with a dual compound tire, hard in the center and softer on the sides. Prolly get a good deal of cupping, but they might last for a bit. :eh:
Since metric is the same all over the world, but imperial isn't the same everywhere they use it, I suggest you adjust. How do you expect us to keep up when one says gallon and means 3.8 liter, and another says gallon and means 4.5 liter. :D

;)

Getting the MPP's mounted tonight. Just in time too, as I am leaving Saturday for my trip. No time to try out anything. I wonder how they will do on a bike like the FJR, but I guess I will find out and have to live with it at least till I get home.