2005 Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gang

I have to say I still have stock Metz 4 on my baby so far with about 6K's on and the tread still looks very good. The handling of the bike I have found is that the more I backhand the bitch the better the ride is in other words the more aggressive I ride the better the handling into and out of corners. I have ridden 130kph+ in the wet and didn't ever look like it was going to go anywhere except for where I pointed it. I really like the sounds of the Perilli Diablo Stradas' any one give a rundown on these babies and the Avons get a rave but what modle type of Avons?

Thug,

AV45 front - AV46 rear (they come in the stock sizes)

I started out on the 'stones and thought they were decent tires. The Avons were better but I didn't see God. The Connie was a different story; not only did I see God when I put on the Avons but we stopped off at the pub and had a couple of brews.

Had metz's, were ok new, wore evenly, both worn out at 10k. Handled like crap for the last 3-4k.

Got Avons on about 3 weeks now, maybe 500 miles. Love 'em, so far.

Pepperell

I'm getting ready to order another set of Avons for my '04 FJR and a set of Metzeler's for my '87 GL1200. Last year, I ordered my last set of Avons for the FJR from Southwest Moto Tires as well as another set for my GSXR and couldn't find any place that beat their prices. I can get the Avons for $97.95 front and $131.95 rear DELIVERED. Anyone found another mail order supply house that can beat Southwest's prices???

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

I replaced the originals on my '04 FJR with the Avon st45/46 and run 40 lbs in both. My bike (with 13K) has not seen a lot of rain until this past July when returning from Townsend TN, I rode 550 miles of the 780 in a tropical rain. The adhesion the tires provided in the rain boosted my confidence in riding in heavy rains even though all of the highway miles were straight-aways. I think it is nice being to cruise highway miles + 5 mph in the rain knowing the Avons appear to be very reliable.

It is time for me to replace the tires on my 05. It seems like most are using Avon Azaro AV45-ST & AV46-ST (for Sport Touring) tires. I have been thinking about the Road Pilots also for two reasons. One, the low speed squirm of the Avon tire, and two, I read someplace that Avon has had some trouble with production and tires being out of round or vastly out of balance. Has anyone else had these concerns? It sure seems that most like the Avon tire, but has anyone run both, or been uncomfortable with the squirm?

Squirm with the Avons, what squirm?? I've put 9600 miles on the Avons on my '04 FJR and honestly never noticed any squirm enough to even comment on it. The Avons do have a really weird tread pattern, with strange cuts etc. etc., but they are absolutely the best wet road tire I've ever used on a bike and I never noticed the low speed squirm that some riders have reported. Just go fast and you won't notice it, guys.

The shop that's done my mc work for the past 15 years installs my tires and the owner told me that he installs a ton of Avons because he specializes in sportbikes and they are rapidly becoming the tire of choice for sportbike riders; he has never noticed any particular problem with the Avons being out of round or requiring unusual amounts of weight to balance.

I'm estimating I'll get at least 12K, maybe close to 13K out of the Avons. Great tires.

Had metz's, were ok new, wore evenly, both worn out at 10k. Handled like crap for the last 3-4k.
Yep mine are at 7K and are starting to get squirrelly. Wear is good, but I'm not going out looking for big puddles, for sure. I'll get another month or so out of them commuting.

Squirm with the Avons, what squirm?? I've put 9600 miles on the Avons on my '04 FJR and honestly never noticed any squirm enough to even comment on it.
I had them on my FJ and didn't notice the squirm either. I did notice a tendency for the bike to fall into the corners with far less bar pressure. That took a little getting used to.

My FJR arrived with the Metz Z4 tires, ran them pretty firm at F38 R40, they would often give me the creeps in a nice high speed sweeper, just a little squirm from the rear...not confidence inspiring, replaced at 10,000 km with Bridgestones O2O's, the improvement in cornering confidence was HUGE, no suprises ran at the same pressure as the Metz's, but the cupping on the front after 6,000Km really produced a HUM in the corners, they remained stable however, replaced at WFO3 on the local shop deal with Dunlop 220's at 11,500km. The Dunlops were sort of middle of the road, pardon the phun. Very little cupping, great wear, but had a 'hard' feel to them, great mileage 13,000km. Replaced them with Avons Azaro45/46 this spring and immediately noticed how easily the bike turned in on the corners. The squirm when slowing down the last 20 feet to a stop was expected, but not enough to cause any concern. Loaded I run F42 R42, for around town F38 R42 and these are solid stick and great mileage tires. I just replaced the rear on the long way home from WFO4. 17,000kms most with full tour load across Canada this summer. I really had some fun finishing off that rear in the Cascades and the Kootenays, and on that hot pavement never so much as a quiver.

I had considered giving the Pilot Roads a try this time as I have heard some good things about them, but must say I love the Avons, winter riding on the left coast they provide very good grip on the wet roads.

I was only intending on giving you my 2 cents worth, but there you have it.

Since I uped my tyre pressures in the M4 it has nade a huge difference to their performance. I put 39 in the front and rear and they ride like rails.

SILVERADO

Thanks! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Z4s on my o5 FJR. Got about 5k out of them and switched to Avons. They now have about 3k on them. Best tire I have ever used. Got stuck riding home from work inthe rain, and they were amazing! Even over tar snakes, they never wiggled. Total cornering confidence. I ride in very hot weather (100+). Will see how many miles I gey out of them. I use to ride 90+ mph a lot because there are a lot of open farm roads where I live. Well Johnny law finally caught up to me, so now I ride at a more prudent speed. High speed, hot temps, and a lot of weight (I weigh 275) adds up to low mileage.

I'm running the Avons at 42/42 psi. I expect to get at least 12K out of them. As others have said, they really do cause the bike to just fall into turns, I love it. The only bike I've ever had that handles quicker than my '04 FJR is my Gixxer (GSXR).

the Z4 rear got 5000 miles, may have gotten a little more but I was 1000 from home and did not think they would make it.

the 1st avon got 7000 on the rear, the 2nd avon got 5500

I do not consider my self a HARD rider but there is no way I will ever get to 10,000 on any rear tire made for the FJR, I am now trying a Shinko Raven.

in one week I will have had the FJR one year, I am on my 5th rear tire in 21,000 miles

1st was Z4 with 5000 miles, 2nd was Dunlop 208, big mistake only 3000 miles, 3rd was Avon and got just over 7000, 4th was Avon and got a nail at 5500 miles and ruined the tire, 5th is the Shinko Raven with about 500 miles

I now change and balance my own tires, I have all ready paid for the equipment.

Took a nice easy ride this morning to Coloma to get the new Avons broke in. On the way home on I 80 I was almost run over by an SUV..he looked dead at me in his rear view and pulled right in front of me at 70 mph..I was so fucking mad at this dick..Where do they come from???

I went from Metzler Z4's to Z6's on my Futura two years ago. Instant noticeable difference. The bike tracked accurately in corners (something it would not do on the Z4's) and the front end was no longer numb. It felt as though I was holding the axle in my hand. I carried on about them so much a friend on a VFR changed to them and had the same compliments. The only down side (and we both noticed) was that the Z6's were more prone (than the Z4's) to "hunting" on grooved pavement. He noticed it pretty quickly, I noticed it a bit (heavier bike) and I suspect it would barely be there on the FJR (heavier still). Both the Z4's and the Z6's got about 9000 miles on the rears. I'll be switching to the Z6's next spring. Should have about 9000k on my factory 'stones by then.

I am putting a set of Michelin Pilot Powers on this week, and heading out to the Alps next week for 2 weeks. Will let you guys know how they do on the FJR. Though they do not show as recommended on most Michelin sites for the FJR, they are validated and recommended by Michelin Germany for the FJR.

afterburn, do let us know.

My FJR came with Bridgestones and they are Ok.

I bought a brand new 2002 SV 650 Oct. 2004. The Metz 4 tires were made at the end of 2001 and I changed them at 1200 miles as I had NO confidence in them. Could partly be an age thing.