2006/2007 Bmw K1200 GT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkern1

Reaction score
K1200gt

Output: 152hp or 112kw at 9,500

Torque: 130nm at 7750 (around 91 US spec)

Fuel Tank: 24L or 6 gallons

Wet Weight: 620lbs

hmmm - very interesting. i like the looks of it and the numbers sound promising. and i'll bet you it has ample power for all of your plug-in pleasures. then again, it better for that price. (even though I don't know what the base price is, I'd be willing to be that it will be at least $5K more than the retail price of an FJR).

Very interesting. I have been waiting for this to come out. I am not interested in getting one, but wanted to see how the did it. Need more info.

Bet its gonna be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I agree BMW has built a FJR. Their are a couple questions that still need to be answered.

1. Price?

2. Is the Final Drive really fixed?

3. Does that front end really work?

4. Do you get two full size bags?

5. Range is 6 gallons going to give you 220+ range

No matter what you think their sure are some great choice on the market right now or soon to be.

FJR

St1300

Concourse

Bmw K1200gt

Sprit 1050

ECT.... ECT......

2007_K1200GT-s.jpg

More horses, but smaller gas tank (by 0.6 gallons)

What is the RWHP ?

Sexy looking, nice color for the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
More horses, but smaller gas tank (by 0.6 gallons)What is the RWHP ?

Sexy looking, nice color for the FJR.
Rather than looking for a single horsepower number, at the crank or rear wheel, I'd find it more interesting to know the area under the torque curve, and also the shape of that area.

While the released (at crank) hp number is greater than the FJR, the released peak torque is lower. The rpm of their occurance wasn't stated. However, looking at the hp/torque values for the K1200S, BMW seems to have chosen a path to power that calls for more revs than Yamaha does.

We're still at the guessing stage. But, a 625 pound (wet) bike detuned from 165 hp to only the short way down to 157hp will be producing that power at higher revs than the FJR. It therefore is very likely to be much slower in top gear roll-on than an '05 FJR, and even more guessing, still slower than an '06 six-speed FJR.

With the '06 FJR, acceration dynamics in best gear could end up being a wash. But, I'll bet the BMW is going to requre more revs to do it. They don't seem to have as good a handle on vibration control, so (still guessing), I'd expect that power is going to come at considerable expense to cormfort.

Lately, BMW has demonstrated and inability to "work things all the way through". I don't expect their Sport Tourer to be without some glaring faults, not just "shortfalls". A buzzy bike with Touring Pretentions is quite within their "grasp".

They don't seem to have as good a handle on vibration control, so (still guessing), I'd expect that power is going to come at considerable expense to cormfort.
UMMMMMMMM have you ever rode a K-bike. The only thing it is great at is how freaking smooth it is. Now their are other issues with the bike, but vibrations is not one of them.

They don't seem to have as good a handle on vibration control, so (still guessing), I'd expect that power is going to come at considerable expense to cormfort.
UMMMMMMMM have you ever rode a K-bike. The only thing it is great at is how freaking smooth it is. Now their are other issues with the bike, but vibrations is not one of them.
Agree. I have only ridden a K bike once. An 02 I believe it was, K-RS. I was shocked at how absolutely smooth it was.

My guess is that the peak power on this is going to be up slightly and the torque down slightly. So you'll have a slightly faster bike, but not quite as good a roll-on bike. But power-wise, they should be very close so you'd be splitting hairs to buy one or the other based on engine power.

This looks to be a nice BMW. Apples to apples, I'd bet on a $6K price bump over the FJR (or perhaps slightly more - I thnk you can probably swing a better deal on an 06 FJR than on one of these). So it really boils down to whether you want to spend an extra $6K for the duolever, servo brakes, BMW fit/finish/panache, more upscale dealers, and a better warranty. I'd give the reliability nod to the FJR, but I suspect both bikes will be solid.

There is also the issue that the 06 FJR will have gone through another evolutionary cycle while this BMW will just be starting down it's path. Thus, the FJR will likely have fewer rough edges. And if you like the electric shift, Yamaha is the only game in town.

I like BMWs (I still have an R1100S), but when BMW goes head-to-head against a Japanese bike with the exact same formula, I wonder why not just go with the cheaper bike?

- Mark

So it really boils down to whether you want to spend an extra $6K for the duolever, servo brakes, BMW fit/finish/panache, more upscale dealers, and a better warranty.  I'd give the reliability nod to the FJR, but I suspect both bikes will be solid.
Better warranty? I thought the BMW had a 3 year/36,000 mile warrantee. That doesn't touch the 5 year unlimited miles of an FJR with a 48 month Y.E.S. (even at retail price for the YES contract).

As for the bike being sold. Sure! You bet. There are people out there who will buy it simply because it costs more. There will be others who want to keep the US equivalent to a Europass active so will also buy it. Then there will be those who buy it even though they know of problems with their current bikes. Like the room full of Bimmer owners about a year ago (me being the only non-Bimmerphile). In that room all but one had their bikes either down with final drive problems or getting ready to go down to have the final drive repaired. The sole exclusion was the owner who replaces all his seals as part of his routine 20,000 mile service (after losing 2 final drives on a different bike in the past). And these guys weren't all riding the same type of Bimmer motor either; there were R's and K's and a GS in the mix. The point? People will buy what they like and sometimes that's in spite of their past experiences.

I agree BMW has built a FJR.  Their are a couple questions that still need to be answered.
1. Price?

2. Is the Final Drive really fixed?

3. Does that front end really work?

4. Do you get two full size bags?

5. Range is 6 gallons going to give you 220+ range

No matter what you think their sure are some great choice on the market right now or soon to be.
I think,

1. Price: it will be up there like all the BMW's

2. Final drive: I don't think it was an issue, outside of the heavier LT's

3. Front end: probably one of the better front end's of any MC out there.

4. Bag's, that remains to be seen. It appears to be full size.

5. Range with the 6 gal. tank: no doubt in my mind, the heavy LT got that. (220+)

:rolleyes: :D

It therefore is very likely to be much slower in top gear roll-on than an '05 FJR, and even more guessing, still slower than an '06 six-speed FJR.
6 speed FJR?

So it really boils down to whether you want to spend an extra $6K for the duolever, servo brakes, BMW fit/finish/panache, more upscale dealers, and a better warranty.  I'd give the reliability nod to the FJR, but I suspect both bikes will be solid.
Better warranty? I thought the BMW had a 3 year/36,000 mile warrantee. That doesn't touch the 5 year unlimited miles of an FJR with a 48 month Y.E.S. (even at retail price for the YES contract).
Don't you have to buy the YES program?

What is the stock Warranty on a FJR?

Also BMW offers a YES type program that extend the warranty for 7 years and unlimited miles.

Just note on the warranty

Don't you have to buy the YES program?

What is the stock Warranty on a FJR?

Also BMW offers a YES type program that extend the warranty for 7 years and unlimited miles.

Just note on the warranty
I bet the extended warranty for BMW's is much higher than yamaha's Y.E.S. :haha:

It therefore is very likely to be much slower in top gear roll-on than an '05 FJR, and even more guessing, still slower than an '06 six-speed FJR.
6 speed FJR?
Yeah, I am not sure where he pulled that one out of.
06 fjr has different gearing ratio than 05 but still a 5 speed...