2006 FJR1300A or 2003 BMW K1200GT?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW - You don't have to ride a BMW to attend a BMW rally

BTDT with the FJR...

Also, 22,500 miles with the FJR, a year old - Dollars spent above normal maintenance? - Zero

(Except for farkles, of course - Now when am I gonna find time to install those Phillips HID's ?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Motorcycle Consumer News did a shoot out between the 03 ST 1300, 03 FJR1300, and the 03 BMW GT1200. The GT1200 came in dead last. It did nothing better than the FJR.

The article also stated that the GT1200 ran out of gas with only 161 miles from its last fill up.

That SUCKS!

This thread has taken a hilarious turn. :assassin:
Poor sradek, his thread has become a travishamockery.

It sounds like you are working with the wrong dealer. Find one that wants to work with you more. Go in and tell them that you can test ride the competition. That might help get a test ride. See how fast the give you the keys.

And stick with the FJR, you will NOT be sorry. Notice I said nothing bad about the BMW....
Wow, I did start a pissing match (unintentionally). Well, as most of you suggested, I am doing test rides.

I just test rode a 2004 ST1300 ABS, only 1300 miles. dealer is asking $10,900 (that's high per kbb). I do like the handling, but the motor sound at higher RPM is probably a no-go for me ...

Anyway, going for a test ride today of K1200GT (2003, 7K mi, ebay reserve $9,500) - has heated grips & seat, cruise control and partially integrated ABS. From pics bike appears to be very clean. Will see in person.

I do wish I could test ride a 2006 FJR1300A, but there are none at any of the dealers in / around NJ :angry: There are couple of AE models available, but since I don't want finger shifting, no point test riding one.

Is anyone trusting enough to let me test ride their 2006 or older FJR? As I mentioned in another post, I have a 2006 V-MAX that I need to sell out. (The retail value of this has gone down big time!) I am sure I can handle the FJR safely. I am willing to sign taking full responsibility. Of course, you don't know me, so it comes down to trust for your fellow biker! B)

I live in central NJ, but willing to travel to test ride the FJR.

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

Keep it cool and friendly guys.

Look at the new 2006 K12GT whole new bike !! I love the FJR but I think this new BMW may give it a good run it has 152 hp and better egros and 96 Ft lbs of torque . Draw back dressed to kill it will run $20,365.00 Thats a lot of fine mods on a 06 FJR.

LDR1

2006 FJR (w/clutch) at Honda East Powersports, Bear, DE - 10 miles over the Delaware Memorial Bridge from Jersey, on route 40 just after the Rt 13/Rt40 split. Pay no sales tax here in Delaware... 302- 322 4120 - Looks like it's been test ridden (very slight cleaning scratches on windshield ) but no idea since I didn't talk to a salesperson. Saw it when I was there buying oil filters for my '05.

Not connected with dealer, no financial interest, etc etc

2006 FJR (w/clutch) at Honda East Powersports, Bear, DE - 10 miles over the Delaware Memorial Bridge from Jersey, on route 40 just after the Rt 13/Rt40 split. Pay no sales tax here in Delaware... 302- 322 4120 - Looks like it's been test ridden (very slight cleaning scratches on windshield ) but no idea since I didn't talk to a salesperson. Saw it when I was there buying oil filters for my '05.
Not connected with dealer, no financial interest, etc etc
Thanks for the tip. I will call them :)

I suspect the K2 would take the FJR fairly easily on a straight or winding road,

Owners of other brands will invariably will tell you they're overrated, but I don't think so. Every single part and piece is finished well (mine shows absolutely no sign of its age anywhere) and they're very long-lived motorcycles too.

I still have my 85 FJ1100 (Gran daddy to the FJR) and even it would seriously kick your BMW butt.

Other than normal maintenance, tires and a couple of farkles,(smoothbores and a 4 into 1 header and pipe) nothing spent on repairs of any kind.

So I guess Yamaha's are well engineered and long lived motorcycles also. Just a helluva lot less expensive and a whole lot more performance.

Just a couple quick thoughts here? I recently returned to Wyoming from a trip "back east." While in Indiana I wanted to go do a little lookee Lou at some new Beemers and went to Indianapolis to go to Revard's BMW. Guess what. They closed shop and peed on the fire and called in the dogs. So I was gonna run over to Cinncinatti, Ohio for a look and same thing. I ended up in Fort Wayne, Indiana to see the new BMW's and then they didn't have the new GT that I wanted to see any way? You may not be able to catch up with an open dealership for BMW if ya aren't really quick? I have had a few RT's and a K1200LT and they are neat bikes with a few exceptions. The BMW line has a dry clutch that is behind the engine like a cars system. They sometimes are known to blow the seal in the slave unit for the hydraulic clutch and when that happens it ususally juices the clutch disc with fluid. This little miscue, should it occur, will precipitate a complete rear end tear down of the bike to get to the clutch and fix it. A friend of mine had the happen to him and he traded off his K1200RS at a dealer instead of paying to fix it. He now has two of the GS's from BMW and is happy as can be with them.

I am as happy with the 2005 FJR with the ABS brakes. The aftermarket can offer some fixer uppers for any little differences between the two bikes and there are still dealers in existence for the Yamaha.

Yer choice, have fun lookin',

Flint

2006 FJR HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can't fork out for the 2006 BMW 1200 GT then any other choice for a sport tourer isn't even a contest.

I wouldn't short change myself. If you get a chance to test ride the FRJR-AE go for it. It's virtually the same as the FJR-A for getting a feel of what the bike is about. You might be surprised to find out that you like the AE a WHOLE LOT.

Last edited by a moderator: