2006 Geelong Carbon Craft Tank Protector system

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could never figure out why people use those protecters?

Why not just wait till it's scratched then put them on?

What do you want to keep it nice for the next owner?

Which won't really matter after you scrape off all the GOO holding it on!!

I have the set for my '05

GCC%20Protector.JPG

Extremely durable finish and they look great. No regrets on this purchase.

I had the silver on my 03 . They held up real well and I thought it looked great.

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
That's too much coverage when fuly installed.

Maybe we could paint the bike in carbon fiber and use a blue guard!

Well, I got them installed, and here's some pictures of Wonky with her newest bling:

75247056-M.jpg

75247060-M.jpg

75247063-M.jpg

75247053-M.jpg

(No - the CF on the tank filler is not from Geelong)

I was fairly careful with the installation, took my time, and it went overall pretty well. The only problem I had was that new fourth piece- it installs on the 'band' between the seat and the tank. The band is very flexible plastic, and I removed it before sticking on the CF. When I then replaced it on the tank, the two radii (the band and the CF) seemed to differ - and right now the right side is lifting out of the concave. I'll work to correct that, and see how it goes.

All in all, I'm happy with it - The set for the grey CF is $332.00 AU - and with the exchange rate on the day it hit the magic plastic, my cost was $248.00 US.

Very nice, KD! So all 4 peices butt up together to make it look like one solid piece?

Think a heat gun will get the one lifting side to lay down?

Very nice, KD! So all 4 peices butt up together to make it look like one solid piece?
Think a heat gun will get the one lifting side to lay down?

Yes, they look contiguous - but you could install them with the seam showing if you chose, however I don't understand why you would install your tank protector leaving the tank exposed ? :blink:

I've thought about a heat gun - but I'm not sure that CF would relax as would plastic sheeting - but I may just give it a try. Hmmm...... my skill level, a heat gun, and a plastic panel . .. . . ..

I think my mistake was installing it off of the tank. I'll try a re-install first. Wish me luck. If that's sucessful, I'll contact Geelong to ensure that they update their instructions.

Looks nice... but when did your bike start wearing a toupee? Tell Wonky that bald is beautiful, then show it pictures of Michael Jordan... :p

Looks nice... but when did your bike start wearing a toupee? Tell Wonky that bald is beautiful, then show it pictures of Michael Jordan... :p

Groo,

I'm not sure how to answer this ...... anything I post would certainly lead to a digression unlike anything we've seen to date ..... :blink:

And there are ladie's on this forum, ya know !! ;)

But I just can't let this pass .........

So - Wonky's toupee keeps the Boudreaux's Butt Paste off the seat ... :p

Here we go ......

I guess if you're toupee is gonna look like a dead skunk... it might as well smell like one too.... :rolleyes:

:fans: I'm with Stu on this one. I ride with in the alphabets of Wisconsin, bad pavement, gravel, sand, and horse shit from the Amish buggy's, so my knees are gripping the tank a lot. After 26k on my '04 no noticable scuffing on the tank sides. I do like the look of those carbon fiber tasty bits, but **** it, to many $$$ for it right now.

What IS looking scuffed up and raggedy assed is the silver boot gaurds down low. They look black and my black Sidi's look silver :dribble:

For the money if my tank was in rough shape I would buy the CF stuff---it is pretty sweet! BUT, right now its tires and fuel...Montana here I come!

Sanders in Mn

I was just sent a picture of the new Geelong Carbon Craft tank protector system by Kim at Geelong.
72518671-M.jpg

Ozi-Moose provided his 06 as a mule for the molds - Thanks, Ozi !! He received the first set ! Note that this is a 4 piece system.

EDIT: 5/31/06 - The set pictured above is Ozi's - he tells me they're not installed yet, but will be soon. (Silver in color to match his bike)

EDIT: 6/13/06 - INSTALLED PICTURES BELOW.

Contact Geelong - Geelong Carbon Craft

I don't know when it will show on the web site for ordering, but you might want to contact them to get your name on the list.

Thanks, Kim !!

I have the set for my '05
GCC%20Protector.JPG

Extremely durable finish and they look great. No regrets on this purchase.
Well, I got them installed, and here's some pictures of Wonky with her newest bling:
75247056-M.jpg

75247060-M.jpg

75247063-M.jpg

75247053-M.jpg

(No - the CF on the tank filler is not from Geelong)

I was fairly careful with the installation, took my time, and it went overall pretty well. The only problem I had was that new fourth piece- it installs on the 'band' between the seat and the tank. The band is very flexible plastic, and I removed it before sticking on the CF. When I then replaced it on the tank, the two radii (the band and the CF) seemed to differ - and right now the right side is lifting out of the concave. I'll work to correct that, and see how it goes.

All in all, I'm happy with it - The set for the grey CF is $332.00 AU - and with the exchange rate on the day it hit the magic plastic, my cost was $248.00 US.

The other pictured look like the tank protectoers have a contoured molded form. On your install of the 2006 tank protectors it looks as if the carbon fiber lays flat against the tank.

The other pictured look like the tank protectoers have a contoured molded form. On your install of the 2006 tank protectors it looks as if the carbon fiber lays flat against the tank.

The 06 panels are molded to the tank - each piece is unique, and only fits in one spot.