2006 no start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpotterauto

Reaction score
Long time lurker. Confused with manual description of code. Instrument display in picture.
Procedure opinion appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
Long time lurker. Confused with manual description of code. Instrument display in picture.
Procedure opinion appreciated
Going to need a lot more information to help make a diagnosis.
What led up to this event?
When did this happen?
What were you doing when it happened?
What are the present symptoms?
How many miles on the scooter?

Do you have a service manual?
Do you know how to get into the ECU Diagnostic Mode?
Do you know how to get into the MCU Diagnostic Mode?

If the code is an ECU code, this is the right page.

1725327973799.png

If the code is an MCU (shift) code, this is the page.

1725327795691.png

If there are ECU codes and MCU codes stored in their respective memories, the ECU codes will take precedence in the display.
Using the buttons on the dash, go into Diagnostic Mode and record and clear any ECU codes.

To clear MCU (shift) codes, short the MCU diagnostic connector and using the buttons on the hand shifter switch enter MCU Diagnostic Mode and record and clear any MCU codes.

Either or both codes 12 means the scooter shouldn't start until the codes are cleared.

dan

Howdy Dan,
Thanks for your reply.
Factory service manual in hand. Diagnostic jumper not successful. Reset and Function buttons pushed when key rotated to ON results in DIAG mode. codes 36 and 51 . I believe they are YCC-S codes on the MCU.
The bike was driven daily. 70k on regular serviced engine . Hand shifter primary method for gear changes.
Last trip I tested the foot shifter with no success. When I parked the bike, I tried the foot shifter again with same failure.
Next morning No start - No crank, code 36 on cluster. While checking circuits for 36 diagnosis, the cluster presented the pattern in the picture.
Any module disconnects were preceded with the battery ground disconnected.
Circuits were back probed for voltage and grounds with DVoM
The manual leads me to YCC-S MCU failure with no verification tests. I was hoping someone had experienced this before with tests to confirm the failure.
That MCU is a pricey buggar.
Thanks again for the help,
Jim P

Howdy Dan,
Thanks for your reply.
Factory service manual in hand. Diagnostic jumper not successful. Reset and Function buttons pushed when key rotated to ON results in DIAG mode. codes 36 and 51 . I believe they are YCC-S codes on the MCU.
The bike was driven daily. 70k on regular serviced engine . Hand shifter primary method for gear changes.
Last trip I tested the foot shifter with no success. When I parked the bike, I tried the foot shifter again with same failure.
Next morning No start - No crank, code 36 on cluster. While checking circuits for 36 diagnosis, the cluster presented the pattern in the picture.
Any module disconnects were preceded with the battery ground disconnected.
Circuits were back probed for voltage and grounds with DVoM
The manual leads me to YCC-S MCU failure with no verification tests. I was hoping someone had experienced this before with tests to confirm the failure.
That MCU is a pricey buggar.
Thanks again for the help,
Jim P

Are you looking for those codes in the MCU Diagnostics (different from the ECU Diagnostics that are entered from the dash buttons / ignition method)?

Do not replace the MCU until you read / reset the MCU Error codes.

This is how you get to the MCU Diagnostics. The YCCS test coupler is in the wiring harness below the "glove box".
It is a 4 pin connector with only 2 wires, covered by a cap. Short those two wires together before moving to step 5.
Read the rest of the relevant sections of the Service Manual about YCCS before starting troubleshooting.

1725371076721.png

Howdy Dan,
Shorting the test connector procedure made no change to the display.
The black, four position, two wire , black and blue/yellow with the blue/yellow wire having 5 volts and the black ground. .
I am checking the surrounding connections. I may have dislodged something while accessing the YCC-S connector.

Howdy Dan,
Shorting the test connector procedure made no change to the display.
The black, four position, two wire , black and blue/yellow with the blue/yellow wire having 5 volts and the black ground. .
I am checking the surrounding connections. I may have dislodged something while accessing the YCC-S connector.
Just so I'm clear on your actions.
You did try to enter the MCU diagnostics using the button on the left handlebar shift control when turning on the ignition switch, right?

dan