2006 Side-n-Center-stand questions.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue1

Reaction score
So for those of you switching over from a earlier year FRJ's I'm wondering if Yamaha has fixed the side stand issues?

With my 2005 you have to be real careful with the side-stand, it tends to slip backward when I put my bike down on it.

Also, Yamaha says that they've moved-n-improved the center-stand, it's now easier to get the FJR up on the center stand. Anyone notice a difference?

Finally, is a a general consensus that the first gear clunk is gone?

Thanks guys!

No offense, I ain't trying to dig on ya here or nothin, but I would amend this statement:

With my 2005 you have to be real careful with the side-stand, it tends to slip backward when I put my bike down on it.

To this:

With my 2005 you have to be real careful with the side-stand, owners do not excercise enough caution and tend to deploy it improperly and many an FJR has ended up on the ground. :(
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
While I've never done this before and it may be crossing a line that can never be recrossed, I agree with Scooter!

Oh come on, you can't tell me that you guys don't come flying into the parking area, stop the bike and deploy the side stand (without looking down) and climb off the bike all in the same motion. Much like the commercials depict. Fess up now.

I never deploy the side stand without looking at it and checking it twice and sometimes three times before climbing off the bike. NEVER.

Mark

Oh come on, you can't tell me that you guys don't come flying into the parking area, stop the bike and deploy the side stand (without looking down) and climb off the bike all in the same motion. Much like the commercials depict. Fess up now.
I never deploy the side stand without looking at it and checking it twice and sometimes three times before climbing off the bike. NEVER.

Mark
+1. Have since I can remember-years and years and ye....well, you get the idea. :D Have never had an issue with the sidestand on Frank. Perhaps the Starsky and Hutch method of arrival might be the issue here?

I have my bike lowered which makes the sidestand that much more troublesome. I filed the stop to allow the sidestand to swing more forward & avoid the problem you describe.

dobias <_<

OK now that everyone puts the side stand down correctly, I've heard several mention that the centerstand is a bit easier to use than earlier models. Hope that answers your question.

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had a side-stand problem either. I always kick it down while on the bike and place my foot behind it as I dismount, so it stays "forward".

Kick if forward, and give a slight pull backwards on the bars as the weight of the bike settles onto it for those of us who are either double paranoid, or nearly had to learn from experience. :erm:

So for those of you switching over from a earlier year FRJ's I'm wondering if Yamaha has fixed the side stand issues?

Also, Yamaha says that they've moved-n-improved the center-stand, it's now easier to get the FJR up on the center stand. Anyone notice a difference?

Finally, is a a general consensus that the first gear clunk is gone?

Thanks guys!
Center stand seems a bit easier to put the bike up on versus my previous 03-

You guys suck!  That was the lamest dog pile I've ever seen.  Do try better.  The board has it's standards, ya know. ;)
I wait until it's deployed on my toe...then I let it down.

Seriously, no issues...I always remember this way where the sidestand is supposed to go. ;)