2006 Side-n-Center-stand questions.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys suck!  That was the lamest dog pile I've ever seen.  Do try better.  The board has it's standards, ya know. ;)
I wait until it's deployed on my toe...then I let it down.

Seriously, no issues...I always remember this way where the sidestand is supposed to go. ;)
Eh, that's a bit better! :****:

I just lay the bike on its side like I did when I was a kid with my bicycle.

Seriously, the kick stand makes me very nervous especially when it's extended and the wifey is dismounting. ;)

You people don't have the agents that hold the bike for you when you dismount? Hm....I must be priviledged.

I dropped my bike in my driveway. The side stand wasn’t all the way forward. I won’t drop it again, but I did find a better way to store my bike at home. I bought one of these bike stands from the Baxley trailer Company. I absolutely love it. When I get home I just ride right into the garage and onto the stand. When you roll over the wheel receiver it flops over and it traps the front wheel and I just step off. The bike sits upright and I trust it a lot more than the center stand. It is also much easier to leave. I just back up and it releases the wheel.

IMG_6906.jpg

IMG_6911.jpg

check it out

pics

Last edited by a moderator:
It is always a good idea to leave the bike in 1st gear when you turn it off then rock it forward to take up the slack in the drive train and recheck your side stand to be sure it is all the down. I have failed to do this with bikes that weigh several 100 pounds more than the FJR and it is easy to remember how much effort it took to get the bike picked up to say nothing of damage and embarassment of dropping the bike. RIDE SAFE

I find my '06 FJR a little easier to get up on the centerstand than my Bandit 1200. And the FJR probably weighs close to 100 lbs. more then the Bandit

"It is always a good idea to leave the bike in 1st gear when you turn it off then rock it forward to take up the slack in the drive train and recheck your side stand to be sure it is all the down. " bikerkash

+1

Also, doubt the following at your own risk...

Bike is most stable on SIDE-stand, in 1rst gear (see above), with bars pointed LEFT, and pointed UP-hill.

This is not just because the FJR has a side-stand issue, it is for all bikes. Knowing this, even Duc 916s with spring loaded switch-blade stands stay up.

Yes, it is more convenient to be left in Neutral because the clutch is soooo hard to pull and Neutral sooooo hard to find when starting later and we all push our bikes around when off right <sic> and yes, many of the cool HD-guys point their super cool front wheels to the right -but combine the two and a small child can easily push the bike right off it's stand (not to mention the effects of gravity and surface grade).

Centerstands should be used for maintenance, service, un/loading luggage only.

Park on concrete whenever possible, and carry a puck/bigfoot for gravel and asphalt on hot days.

TOGs?! Save your money! Call ING now and stop dropping your bike! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: