2006 vs 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've looked at that sheet before but never really run down it line by line before. After all the berating on this thread I decided to look for anything "major" and one thing that popped out at me is the listed 60 pound weight gain in '08. Is that for real? Nothing else on the list of differences really would explain where the extra weight would come from.

Looking at 2 right now ,one is a 06 with 26K for 7300 and the other is a 09 with 23K for 9500.

The 06 is pretty much stock and the 09 is loaded including a yamaha trunk, mc cruise control and a CB.

My biggest obstacle is a bike that wont sell right now and the trade in value sucks.
Both of the prices you have listed are $1000 - $1500 too high. Take a look around various sites (CycleTrader, FleaBay, etc.) and get an idea of what bikes are actually selling for. Although there haven't been any major changes, '08s and up offer fueling, transmission and ABS improvements that make them a better bike.

Keep your eyes open...the right bike show up sooner than later. :)

Good luck with the search!

--G

Any difference in the 2006 FJR vs the 2009.

Look HERE
That says the rear shock is interchangeable between all models, is that accurate? I checked a few manufacturers web sites and they list a different shock for 2001-2005 and 2006 onwards. The length and stroke seems to be different - Length: 2001-2005 325, 2006- 326.5; Stroke: 2001-2005 62, 2006- 62.5.

The reason I'm asking is that I have an Ohlins that was taken off our 2005 bike that I didn't put on our 2008 because I was told it wouldn't fit. Ohlins do list different shocks for the two bikes which seems to back up what I was told.

Kevin

Looking at 2 right now ,one is a 06 with 26K for 7300 and the other is a 09 with 23K for 9500.

The 06 is pretty much stock and the 09 is loaded including a yamaha trunk, mc cruise control and a CB.

My biggest obstacle is a bike that wont sell right now and the trade in value sucks.
Both of the prices you have listed are $1000 - $1500 too high. Take a look around various sites (CycleTrader, FleaBay, etc.) and get an idea of what bikes are actually selling for. Although there haven't been any major changes, '08s and up offer fueling, transmission and ABS improvements that make them a better bike.

--G i AG
I agree the prices are too high on both of these, however remember prices vary in different parts of the country. You might find one cheaper farther away but you would have to factor in the travel expense.
I hope you will be able to sell your present ride and negotiate better prices for either of these FJR's

I am sure there is some room for negotiation to make them more reasonable.

I would favor the newer FJR.

Just my 2 cents.

After all the berating on this thread I decided to look for anything "major" and one thing that popped out at me is the listed 60 pound weight gain in '08. Is that for real? Nothing else on the list of differences really would explain where the extra weight would come from.
Yamaha went from "dry weight" to "wet weight" then. See the note off to the side.

Last edited by a moderator:
After all the berating on this thread I decided to look for anything "major" and one thing that popped out at me is the listed 60 pound weight gain in '08. Is that for real? Nothing else on the list of differences really would explain where the extra weight would come from.
I wonder if Yamaha went from "dry weight" to "wet weight" then?

You know, fluids full and ready to ride...

--G
Thanks... thats the info i'm looking for.

I considered the same things when I bought my 06 because I was dead set on the 06 color. Most ANY issue that differs, and all are mechanical, is covered by factory recalls.

Buy the 06 and have it checked at the local dealer for updates and save the money for the accessories you'll need . . . Motorcycle Larry road pegs, seat and handlebar adjustments and a good set of Michelin tires. This is what I did and I'm very pleased! Saved around 4000.00

Good luck!