2007 ecu installiation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harlonbrando

Reaction score
Just got my yamaha ecu replacement letter. I contacted my dealer for installation and was told it would take 5 hrs. Seems like a long time to unplug old unit and plug new unit in. Am I missing something? I will have to rent a trailer to cart bike as I don't want to sit at my dealer for 5 hrs. How long have other members bikes taken? Just wondering if my dealer knows what he's doing, or has he got some after school kid changing these things.

Just got my yamaha ecu replacement letter. I contacted my dealer for installation and was told it would take 5 hrs. Seems like a long time to unplug old unit and plug new unit in. Am I missing something? I will have to rent a trailer to cart bike as I don't want to sit at my dealer for 5 hrs. How long have other members bikes taken? Just wondering if my dealer knows what he's doing, or has he got some after school kid changing these things.
CORRECTION Yamaha's labor allowance for the change-out is less than one-half hour.

Dick Meyer

Last edited by a moderator:
Think your dealer is full of it. I got the letter too and contacted my dealer and he says it about a 15 min job, unplug one and plug the new one in.

30 minutes to swap out the ECU.............

4 1/2 hours for the 'test ride'. They need to test it and make sure it is fixed properly. That takes 250 miles.

:D

The Yamaha tech bulletin allocates 0.3 hrs of labor. That's about all the wait I had for mine (20 minutes).

Just got my yamaha ecu replacement letter. I contacted my dealer for installation and was told it would take 5 hrs.
I wonder if someone looked it up and misread the .5 (point-5) hours as 5. I'd call the service dept. and double check.

Had mine done Thursday at Carey's in Ogden. They installed the ECU while I had a cup of coffee. Washed the bike too!

BTW, I took it out on a run from 4300 to 10100 feet elevation today. I posted my ride report under M2007-016... under Technical/Mechanical Problems.

I got the letter, called the dealer and they told me 1/2 hour max. If you have looked under the seat and seen the ECU you would know it could not take much time at all.

Just got my yamaha ecu replacement letter. I contacted my dealer for installation and was told it would take 5 hrs.
I wonder if someone looked it up and misread the .5 (point-5) hours as 5. I'd call the service dept. and double check.
I'll bet that's it.

Got mine done in 30 minutes. Only had time the read the mag report comparing the C14, FJR, ST1300 and the BMW. Those reporters must have a bunch of canned cliches stored in their computer. They need JB to write their reports/ :)

7x

I checked with the 2 "local' dealers , 1 had 2 in stock but wanted me to leave the bike 2 f*** days :dribble: . The other one haden't heard of the recall and after talking to him he found it in the computer and would get some ordered. I asked if I could just bring in my old unit and swap...said they would have to get the ok from Yami... :rolleyes: They also wanted me to bring it in for the spedo and the tail bag upgrade...I don't have one.

Cary

I think you need to find an honest dealer. The service manager at the local Yamaha dealer told me to just give him a call when I was ready for the install. I did and it took 20 minutes. I was in and out in a total 30 minutes. I think I will stick with this dealership. And it wasn't where I bought the bike.

Mine took about an hour. I had to go twice. Once so they could verify my VIN even though I bought it from them. Then they wanted to keep it till the part came in. I said no. So when they replaced it I wasn't happy with them and they weren't happy with me. :assassin:

I think you need to find an honest dealer. The service manager at the local Yamaha dealer told me to just give him a call when I was ready for the install. I did and it took 20 minutes. I was in and out in a total 30 minutes. I think I will stick with this dealership. And it wasn't where I bought the bike.

1st dealer is a hour from me..hes the one who wants 2 day's! Other one is 1.5 hours away...next nearest dealer is 3.5hours. Wonder if unversity motors will trade me if I send them mine and a copy of my vin...any dealers on this forum?

Cary

Hey guys, the ECU is screwed to the bottom of the plastic tray that holds the tool kit, under the rider's seat.

I already pulled mine, and will try to just exchange it with dealer, but if they insist to bring the bike in, I'll just hook up the ECU, wrap it in a rag, and install the seat. Bike is fully operational this way, as air filter is in place, and nothing else has to be disconnected. This way, it should take less than a minute to swap it, even for an incompetent tech.

To remove that tray, you need to do the following:

- remove left upper panel (the one with 'FJR')

- remove black cover in front of ECU (2 push-pins and a screw on the left side)

- remove 3 screws on top of the plastic housing (1 under tool kit, 2 on back, behind cross-member)

- remove rider's seat latch mechanism (2 10mm nuts). Requires some wiggling.

- disconnect ECU.

- push tray up in front, then slide towards the tank while lifting it up. The tabs where the rear screws mount will wedge themselves in 2 dips there, so just push them up with your fingers from behind the cross member. Cover will easily get removed after that.

- unscrew the ECU ( 2 screws) and you're in business.

If you need to take bike to dealer, you only need to reinstall the ECU (remember to use a rag to dampen vibration) and rider's seat. Finish the job once home with the new ECU.

I'm waiting for mine to arrive at any time, and have my ECU in my trunk. Will try to just exchange it first, or do what I described above. Hope this helps folks, and good luck.

JC

I was in and out in about 30 mins. No big deal. It would have taken me longer to take the bike apart than it did to ride to my dealer have the install done and ride back to the house, maybe an hour max.

It only took the dealer about 30 minutes to do mine and it was the first one they had done. I did have to show the tech how to get the covers off to gain access to it but once he was in, it didn't take much time at all to do the swap and put it back tigether.

So did the new ECU fix your throttle response problems? Glad to hear Yamaha is stepping up to the plate to replace ECUs on affected bikes. My 05 still is running strong at 36000 miles. :)

Hey guys, the ECU is screwed to the bottom of the plastic tray that holds the tool kit, under the rider's seat.
I already pulled mine, and will try to just exchange it with dealer, but if they insist to bring the bike in, I'll just hook up the ECU, wrap it in a rag, and install the seat. Bike is fully operational this way, as air filter is in place, and nothing else has to be disconnected. This way, it should take less than a minute to swap it, even for an incompetent tech.

To remove that tray, you need to do the following:

- remove left upper panel (the one with 'FJR')

- remove black cover in front of ECU (2 push-pins and a screw on the left side)

- remove 3 screws on top of the plastic housing (1 under tool kit, 2 on back, behind cross-member)

- remove rider's seat latch mechanism (2 10mm nuts). Requires some wiggling.

- disconnect ECU.

- push tray up in front, then slide towards the tank while lifting it up. The tabs where the rear screws mount will wedge themselves in 2 dips there, so just push them up with your fingers from behind the cross member. Cover will easily get removed after that.

- unscrew the ECU ( 2 screws) and you're in business.

If you need to take bike to dealer, you only need to reinstall the ECU (remember to use a rag to dampen vibration) and rider's seat. Finish the job once home with the new ECU.

I'm waiting for mine to arrive at any time, and have my ECU in my trunk. Will try to just exchange it first, or do what I described above. Hope this helps folks, and good luck.

JC
Thanks very much. Not a bad idea when you consider that m/c dealerships are always subject to murphy's law.