2007 FJR vs 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernCruizer

Is it Beer:30 yet?
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to possibly pick up either a new 2007 or 2008 from a local dealer. Any other differences in them besides the color? I seem to recall a discussion about throttle differences between the 2, but google search did not turn up anything. Thanks.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

The '08 is supposed to have the more scratch resistant coating on the windshiled and a lighter throttle. I don't remember if it addressed the abruptness so many have talked about. That being said, I have messed with a couple of '08's and do not see any difference in the throttle spring between them and my '07. My '07 also does not seem to have the abruptness issues others have mentioned. Taking a little slack out of the throttle cable seems to do the trick.

Basically, the only difference I see between the two bikes is the color. Others will have varying opinions.

08's tend to slow and quit turning well when a group of HD's are approached, especially from the stern. They also attract chrome, which has embarrassed some riders at various watering holes.

The 07 (as well as the 06) has the throttle cam that so many complained about for abrupt throttle. That is why so many get the aftermarket G2 throttle cam. For 08, they revised (fixed) the throttle cam. Besides the scratch resistant windscreen, I don't remember if there were any other changes. Perhaps some revised fuel injection. I think they tweak that every year, but not always for the better.

Ok, thanks for the info...thought I had seen something about a throttle issue..wonder if the 06/07 throttles are more or less abrupt than my '04?

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

The '08 is supposed to have the more scratch resistant coating on the windshiled and a lighter throttle. I don't remember if it addressed the abruptness so many have talked about. That being said, I have messed with a couple of '08's and do not see any difference in the throttle spring between them and my '07. My '07 also does not seem to have the abruptness issues others have mentioned. Taking a little slack out of the throttle cable seems to do the trick.
Basically, the only difference I see between the two bikes is the color. Others will have varying opinions.
Thats about right. Also, Yamaha claimed to have tweaked the ABS computer for 08 but you know how those statements go.... Other than color changes and a slightly lighter throttle spring for the 08 and 09's... The Gen II FJR hasn't been changed since its debut in 06 . It goes to show that the Gen II is a very solid and proven platform. I hope the Gen III proves to be as well.

WW

Ok, thanks for the info...thought I had seen something about a throttle issue..wonder if the 06/07 throttles are more or less abrupt than my '04?
Jay

'04 FJR 1300
From what most have said, more abrupt due to the changed throttle cam starting in 06. There are fixes however (G2 throttle cam), and a PCIII is always an option no matter what year if you are experiencing abrupt or jerky throttle issues.

And as WW said, they improved the ABS brakes with the 08 somehow.

I find the '04 to be a little "abrupt", but it's not enough to bother me. If'n it was noticebaly more on the '07, it might be a deal breaker, but like ya said, the cam is an ez and cheap fix. I am on the fence on this one. My '04 is still running strong, and I have it farkled out pretty well, but I am seeing that after a few more miles (I have 71.5K on it now), the value for trade or resell will start dropping pretty quick. There is a perception out there that bike don't last as long as cars, so I am coming up quickly to a keep/trade/sale decision.

I do like the color on the '07, but the more I look at the '08, the more the black is growing on me. Guess it comes down to $$ vs want/need. Go figure :blink:

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

All that and the 08's are butt ugly black, like a cheap HD, Go with the Black Cherry/ silver of the 07. Sorry, I'm really bored sitting here at the hospital waiting for the docters to realease my daughter. I been under alot of stress this week, and the future looks alot better now!

The 08 has a slightly different transmission gear set. The ratios are all the same, but there is a slightly smoother response with the new sets. See THIS THREAD for details.

A couple of other minor tidbits that make the 08 far superior. :assassin:

New meter faces = black trim instead of silver

Brake linking is the same in 07 and 08. Front lever activates 6 of 8 front caliper pistons rear break pedal activates rear piston and two remaining fronts. They claimed to have a new hydraulic unit and sensors on the 08 though.

From my experience the only worth while change was the throttle abruptness. So if you like the ugly Dr Pepper color :glare: get that one and a G2 throttle mod and your set.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 08 has a slightly different transmission gear set. The ratios are all the same, but there is a slightly smoother response with the new sets. See THIS THREAD for details.
Hey,

I can't discount what Pony said. Man knows his transmissions!!

WW
Pony ya beet me to it. I think they added an extra slot so they will engage easier. 4 to 5 if i remember correctly, you can find it here somewhere on the forum. They also change the ratio's slightly on the 08 they do have a better topend. Don't think i will ever see it.

Problems that i have encountered since ownership:

1) steering knock after 450 miles, After bitching covered under warranty gone now.

2) stalling issues, Added PCIII gone now, (set to lean from the factory typical)

I think everyone has missed the most important change to the 08, straight from Yamaha's website:

For 2008, the FJR1300A gets a new ABS system, new scratch-resistant hard windshield coating, a new windshield bracket design and [SIZE=14pt]new grips.[/SIZE]

That's right, [SIZE=14pt]new grips[/SIZE], and this what really makes an 08 superior to the older models. :clapping:

Most everyone knows that 08 black is the fast one/ but if it has the bridgestone BT021 tires they will be shot at 3k or less!

The only thing that attracted me to the '08 (besides the black color, which I like) is something yet to be mentioned: NEW WHEELS. Supposedly, the new wheels don't have those ugly 'caps' where the ABS sensors mount. Haven't seen one, so an '08 owner can confirm or deny this change. Obviously, not enough to trade my almost new '07. Besides, I've read about more problems with '08s than '07s, other than the altitude issue, which sidelined my bike for a long trip (still fuming about that one). Later gang.

JC

Had an 08 pass me on the highway this morning. I think the black is absolutely gorgeous. Bike was very clean and had a great shine on it and looked fantastic. Discussing picking mine up tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input...I picked up my new '08 this afternoon...put 132 miles on it coming home. So far, I find it is smoother and cooler than the '04. I like the lower RPM at highway speed. My only issue right now is the feel of the front shocks. I am hoping they are just tight and new and will loosen up. When I hit sharp bumps, it sounds like the shocks are bottoming out, or the spring is loose, or something. Hoping it goes away with a few more miles.

Jay

'08 FJR 1300

When I hit sharp bumps, it sounds like the shocks are bottoming out, or the spring is loose, or something. Hoping it goes away with a few more miles.
Jay

'08 FJR 1300

Sounds exactly like my 2005 FJR. Do you hear it near the top of the tubes? also, while in the garage, are you able to hear it when squeezing the front brake and rocking the bike for and aft (compressing and extending the front forks with some force)?

Congrats on the new ride!