2007 Yamaha WR450F or 2007 Honda CRF450X

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatNakedGuy

Reaction score
We recently moved to an area with lots of great off-road riding and it's time to hook the kids up with dirt bikes and ATV. With that said, I need a bike too (right?!) and am looking at the two bikes below. Last time I was dirt riding was 30 years ago and technology was quite different way back when. Just wondering which bike you would choose, and why.

Thank you!

2007 Yamaha WR450F

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products...210/0/home.aspx

2007 Honda CRF450X

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/o...odelId=CRF450X7

There is a 2005 comparison article here. (MotorcycleUSA.com)

There is a good little forum here. (4Strokes.com)

I have not owned a WR in a long while but have (recently acquired) 2 CRFs.

You must sit on, and check out both. They are a little different.

They both handle and ride a little different as well. Read as much as you can about their performance.

Both have great suspensions but like everything Japanese, they're sprung for 150 lb. riders. I have a bias towards WR's because I own an '02 and it rips. The new '07's with the all aluminum frame are sure to rock n roll as well but like all new stuff it's anemic as hell until you get the emissions crap off, uncork the exhaust and rejet.

Honda CRF450's have a real bad reputation for going through valves and as far as I know Honda's still in denial and there is no fix. You can get more info on Thumpertalk. Check out the forums for WR's and CRF's. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
+ 1 to Thumpertalk...great resource

I have a WR and think it is a great bike. My buddy that I ride with most of the time has the CRFX.

My peronal opinion is that the WR is better on a track than the CRF but the the Honda is probably a little easier to ride on tough technical terrain. The power on the WR is a little twitchier and the geometry makes it a little tougher to control.

With the technology being so improved compared to years ago, you will be happy and impressed with either bike.

Go with the one that you like the looks of better. You may find that getting your suspension re-done makes a huge difference too.

I have an 02 WR426f, son has 03 yz250f, another has the 05 RM250. Friends have the Honda.

Yamahas are easier for oil changes, the KYBs are a pain to fix oil seals, the Showa are easier. Honda uses a bunch of different oils. yamaha has 3 rings on the piston, Honda has 2.

I have run the hell out of the yamaha, and only had to replace 1 valve that was cupping the same as the Hondas did. I do my own work, and would love to have the wr with Showa shocks, and able to take apart like the RM 250.

My next dirt bike will be a YZ450F, I will just add a larger tank.

I love my 05 WR450F, It makes great power, I've not done anything to the suspension but at 200lbs It probably needs to be beefed up a bit. I've not ridden the Honda though I doubt you could go wrong with either bike. Of course if the reliability of one is better than the other that would influence my purchase decision.

Glenn

I love my 05 WR450F, It makes great power, I've not done anything to the suspension but at 200lbs It probably needs to be beefed up a bit. Glenn
Depends on how agressive you ride. For most people if you're not bottoming out you're probably fine. High flyers like Jeff Ashe need real heavy springs. The valves on an 05 are a lot improved over the 02. I put race tech valves on my 02 and it made a big difference but I've been told by the guys at the track that from 03 on the YZ/WR valves are just as good as race tech. Lemme ask you this: Have you ever changed the fluid in your forks? ;)

We recently moved to an area with lots of great off-road riding and it's time to hook the kids up with dirt bikes and ATV. With that said, I need a bike too (right?!) and am looking at the two bikes below. Last time I was dirt riding was 30 years ago and technology was quite different way back when. Just wondering which bike you would choose, and why.
Thank you!

2007 Yamaha WR450F

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products...210/0/home.aspx

2007 Honda CRF450X

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/o...odelId=CRF450X7
FNG,

Where do you live and what kind of terrain are you riding in? I think you'd be pretty surprised the amount of power and torque from the new 4-stroke 250's. Big bores are fun, but tireing in the tight stuff! Don't have a complaint with my '01 WR426. Agree with others that they come choked but once you get done unchoking them, they are a blast! :yahoo:

Thumpertalk.com is the place to visit for info and advice!

Happy Riding!

Bryce

go twin....

aprilia
p00999_0084.jpg

big_00084.jpg

Go talk to your local independent mechanics and ask how many Honda vs Yamaha top ends they've repaired/replaced. As much as I like the feel and ergo's of the Honda, the fact is they use oil when stressed and only carry a quart (slightly less IIRC). Great for moto, but on a long trail ride, through mud or sand, or heavy throttle applications, they will get low oil levels and suffer hard part failures. Take a look at what the factory Honda team did to add additional oil capacity for the Baja run this year. Don't get me wrong, it's one helluva bike, but what with air filters that don't seal well causing grief, minimum oil volume, and oil consumption being normal due to the slipper ring, it just doesn't make as good or reliable as bike as the YZ. IMHO of course. :rolleyes:

Everything that I have heard and read makes me think that the Honda will cost more to own in the long run. If money is no object then the Honda looks nice....the Yamaha is a great bike. I have ridden a YZ450, which is similar to the WR, and it was very fast and hooked up perfectly (I still ride a two stoke at the track).

I think the Yamaha is probably the more durable bike, but get what you want.

Unless you're a capable and relatively hard-core rider, I wouldn't be getting either of these bikes. They're beasts and oriented towards racing in the same way that a R1 or ZX-10 are basically racing bikes.

If you really want a high-strung racing-type off-road bike, I'd look at the 250's. They have more than enough power for anything other than wide-open desert work.

But if you want a playbike and trail bike to ride with the kids, you'd be much better off with a DRZ400 or a KLX250S. Cheaper, less maintenance, quieter, easier to ride, etc. etc. etc. And if you get the plated version, you can use it as a run-around bike. They're a total hoot in the tight twisties too. Just a lot more versatility.

- Mark

I forgot to mention in my earlier post and am reminded by DCarver that:

when we are on a two or more day trip my buddy always has to add oil on his CRF and the level on my WR always stays the same.

Evil Henchman, no I've not bottomed the suspension and I haven't changed the suspension oil. It only has 65 miles on it.

Glenn

I think the Yamaha is probably the more durable bike, but get what you want.
Unless you're a capable and relatively hard-core rider, I wouldn't be getting either of these bikes. They're beasts and oriented towards racing in the same way that a R1 or ZX-10 are basically racing bikes.

If you really want a high-strung racing-type off-road bike, I'd look at the 250's. They have more than enough power for anything other than wide-open desert work.

But if you want a playbike and trail bike to ride with the kids, you'd be much better off with a DRZ400 or a KLX250S. Cheaper, less maintenance, quieter, easier to ride, etc. etc. etc. And if you get the plated version, you can use it as a run-around bike. They're a total hoot in the tight twisties too. Just a lot more versatility.

- Mark
And while you're at it, why don't you trade that overpowered FJR in on a nice safe Vespa. Fer cryin' out loud it's not like he doesn't know how to ride a bike! And what's it gonna look like when his kids are riding circles around him on a quad? :lol:

I would never suggest to anyone to get a dirt bike other than a full race bike. The suspensions will save your bacon every time. The trail bikes are heavy and truly useless in the technical riding. The power on the trail bikes are anemic at best.

As for tagging the bike check your state laws. Colorado we put YZ's and Cr's on the rode all the time, 2 strokes or 4 don't matter here.

Here in the desert I have watched too many bikers get into trouble with bikes that couldn't keep the power up.

I've seen a DR 400 not able to climb a small hill by Moab. To heavy, and under powered for the sand.

I've seen these types also get bogged down in the mud, unable to power through it.

As for tight trails give me a bike that weighs close to 200 lbs vs one that weighs near 350 lbs anytime.

Maybe it is all perspective. I ride places most people can't walk up. I ride the side of the Grand Junction Book Cliffs, Rabbit Valley, and Moab all the time.

I guess it'd help if we knew more about FNG's experience? He admits to not having ridden off-road for 30 years -- 1977, when the baddest thing would've been a big-bore 2-stroke w/freaky power and poor suspension. Maybe he rode those? Maybe he wheelie'd them going down-hill, off-road? Maybe he rides a V-Max on the street? Maybe he locks the throttle WFO and rides using the kill-switch? :eek: Maybe not?

Generally, I side with 'markjenn's comments on this -- but, 'BobG', you make some valid points. I rode the White Rim on a Yamaha XT-350 and when visiting with Fred at Arrowhead Motorsports and asking him what he thought the best bike for riding in the area was; I asked him if he thought you could ride the White Rim on an XT-350? He said, "I guess you could -- if you had to."

I think: there's a great spread of off-road experience/ability; wouldn't want to limit someone to merely my ability; think, often, riders choose 'too-much-bike'; and am really not in favor of people, generally, buying bikes that say on them "for closed-course racing only" -- for general use (there are exceptions, of course).

just my $.02 B)

Great replies and thank you for all the information! I'm leaning toward the Yamaha.

As for experience, I had a Yamaha YZ80 at 9yrs and was racing a Bultaco 400 at around 11yrs old (I think that was the name of the bike... goofy kickstart on the left side). Did a LOT of riding before growing up, getting married, getting fat, and having kids. Now the kids want to ride so I guess the vicious cycle has come full circle! We're about 2 hours from Moab so that is where we'd be going weekly.

My first street bike ever was the FJR1300 a few years ago. I remember leaving the parking lot, pucker factor 12! Probably should have gone with the SV650 first but I've survived and just LOVE this FJR1300!