2008 clutch basket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnolder

Reaction score
Hi, my dealer says the 2008 clutch basket has been revised to better oil the cluch than earlier models. I had my 2007 clutch plates soaked and its a lot better now but I'm afraid it will revert back. I would greatly appreciate it if anybody knows if the 2008 is better.

My '07 grinds or clunks into gear when the bike is started cold. But if I pull in the clutch and wait 5 seconds, it slips into gear smoothly.

Was/is your bike worse than that? Maybe it just needs a different technique?

I pulled my clutch apart for a cleaning and soaking 5,500 mles ago and it's still greasy smooth with no clunks and what not. I think once the goo is cleaned out of the inner plates, then oil will freely get to the plates and it's a life time fix. The oil passages in the basket were huge, can't see why they would need to be bigger; but I'm no engineer :)

If oiling was gonna be increased, it would have to be via the input shaft and flowing out-in other words, a cursory inspection would not reveal it. Centrifugal force throws oil off the clutch, it only really gets oil at rest, and then little if any get to the plates due to the clutch pack being compressed. Some gets splashed on during operation. I've not had the clutch outta Frank yet, but nothing in the oil flow diagrams indicate the cltch is fed pressurized oil at the clutch hub, so unless this has changed, I don't think so. Especially, considering I have seen few complaints concerning clutch operation in these bikes, other than late model take-up feel and travel, neither of which would be affected by increased oil delivery.

Having owned an 07 & 08, I believe the 08 is only slightly smoother.

Both have the same 1st gear clunk, and need to be revved and/or clutch pumped before going into 1st. Both shift better above 3500 RPM. Both shift better with break-in miles.

Some of the 06-07 bikes had bad clutches that needed to have the plates soaked and cleaned or replaced, The shop replaced my clutch plates at around 11500 miles. It was not releasing completely and it was not normal. The clunk into 1st was scary and it shifted like a tractor until the repair. After the repair it shifted like an entirely different bike. Don't know if the revised oil passages are for the clutch or transmission but I do know that some FJRs shift like 5hit and that if it is a clutch not completely releasing a clutch plate soak or replacement can fix it.

I don't know what happened with that last reply I had a long post and it all disappeared. Suffice it to say I really appreciate all your replys. The dealer soaked my plates last fall and my bike now shifts and disengages good now. The dealer told me last fall (after I got customer service involved thanks to posts found on this board) That if it wasn't any better they would replace the clutch and he had heard the new basket would improve oiling and if they replaced clutch plates, and if I paid for basket they would replace at no labor cost at same time. I think I'll leave it as it is as it shifts way better than it did. It would jump when starting in gear and clunked bad when engaging first gear, you also had to hold clutch in when riding before shifting as clutch would take several seconds to disengage.