2008 FJR 1300A price in California?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerider

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have searched but didn't find any info so please forgive me if this

topic already came up before.

I'm in the Los Angeles area. I got a quote from Pasadena Yamaha

for $15k out-the-door for an 08 1300A. otdcyclesports.com

doesn't have 2008 listed yet but it listed 2007 1300A for

$12k out-the-door.

- How much are you guys paying for an 08 in CA, if you don't mind me

asking?

- Given that 08 MSRP is $13899 and sales tax in Los Angeles country

is 8.25%, it came out to $15055, plus license. So the price of

$15k is at best only a couple of hundred dollars less than paying full MSRP+tax+license.

(do you get charge for setup fee, shipping fee etc...?)

- Do all left-over 2007 FJR automatically get the computer upgrade or is this an

after-sale fix when there is a problem for altitude?

- Do 08s' have better clutch than 07? (lighter?)

- Finally, if you have to choose a 12k 07 and a 15k 08, which one do you get?

Thank you so much.

-mike-

You should be able to score one for list, OTD. Maybe $500 over at worst, but keep looking. Dealer floors are flush with current new models as well as new last year's models. Santa Barbara Motorsports has had an '08 on the floor since December, IIRC. Call 'em and make the offer.

I have a qoute from Hahm motorsports in Anaheim,CA for 13,954.00 OTD. They do not have an 08 in stock but said they could get one within a week. I have tried about 3 other dealers in my area and Hahm is the lowest so far. They also said if I find a lower OTD price they will beat it by 200 bucks.

Generally for buying cars or bikes I figure +/- $200 to get it on the road is pretty good. If the dealer still has last years models on the floor he probably won't be willing to deal as much for the current model year so it may come down to how much you want it.

I bought a 06 AE in California which had an MSRP of $15,499 in September of 06 and got it on the road for $15,199. There were better deals in other parts of the country but they were not CA models which posed a problem. It's interesting that to get it for $15,199 the dealer marked it down to $11k then added a huge setup fee.

I usually keep my cars and motorcycles for a long time so the resale value isn't an issue for me. I usually go for the older model year to get the discount unless there was a radical redesign or enhancement that I liked. The black really looks good but IMO so does the red.

I paid 14.9K for my 07 almost exactly one year ago. Dealers wouldn't budge or make deals anywhere near here. I called dealers all over the Bay Area for 150 miles in each direction. Not even on the Y.E.S. or the first service interval charge.

Course maybe because only 5 dealers even had an 07 might have been part of it.

Generally for buying cars or bikes I figure +/- $200 to get it on the road is pretty good. If the dealer still has last years models on the floor he probably won't be willing to deal as much for the current model year so it may come down to how much you want it.
I bought a 06 AE in California which had an MSRP of $15,499 in September of 06 and got it on the road for $15,199. There were better deals in other parts of the country but they were not CA models which posed a problem. It's interesting that to get it for $15,199 the dealer marked it down to $11k then added a huge setup fee.

I usually keep my cars and motorcycles for a long time so the resale value isn't an issue for me. I usually go for the older model year to get the discount unless there was a radical redesign or enhancement that I liked. The black really looks good but IMO so does the red.

I paid 14.9K for my 07 almost exactly one year ago. Dealers wouldn't budge or make deals anywhere near here. I called dealers all over the Bay Area for 150 miles in each direction. Not even on the Y.E.S. or the first service interval charge.

Course maybe because only 5 dealers even had an 07 might have been part of it.

I asked OTDCycles for a quote on the '08 FJR and and was quoted 13,999.00 OTD. The 2007 was quoted to me as 11,999.00.

Thank you all, for the information. I think I have enough info to start

make phone calls to dealers. I appreciate all your inputs and help.

I asked OTDCycles for a quote on the '08 FJR and and was quoted 13,999.00 OTD. The 2007 was quoted to me as 11,999.00.
Did you call them to get the 2008 price since I didn't see it on their web site?

-mike-

EMAIL them. They will get back to you.

When I was getting mine they wanted 14,500 but had to wait 4-6 weeks. Got on line with Travis from Bert's right down the road in West Covina and got mine for 14,450 OTD and in 3 days.

Other people will match OTD and you won't have the wait. Call Berts, ask for Travis. Tell him Dave from Rosamond sent you.

All will be well and you could be on your new FJR by this weekend. SWEET!

Mine was 16,500 by the time I got it out the door. Had somethings added to it.

There are some things you can get cheaper over the internet. I don't think buying a vehicle is one of them. As in any negociation you have to be able to put yourself in the other person's, (in this case the dealer) position. If you do that, think about it. Are you going to go out of your way to give a better than average deal to someone who contacts you by phone or e-mail? Or are you more likely to offer that deal to a customer that you know, and has been doing business with you in the past?

When I bought mine I went into the local dealer that does all my service, and gets all my parts business. Yeah, I could save a few bucks by getting parts on line, but it is not worth it in the long run. I told them in no uncertain terms that I was going to buy a new FJR, the only question was whether I bought it from them, or someone else. How much did I pay? I'm not going to say. I will tell you it was way less than any price I have seen people talking about here. I won't say because it would be unfair to the people at the dealership, who take care of me, to have someone walk in off the street and say "You sold a FJR to a guy I saw on the FJR forum for $xxxxx, so I want you to sell me one for the same price.

It seems to me that the thing that is more important than the price you pay for the bike is whether the dealer is going to support you and you're new bike. After you show the dealer that you are reasonable person who treats them with respect and does business with them, then they will be more likely to treat you like a valued customer. If they don't, then you have to look for another dealer.

Thank you all, for the information. I think I have enough info to startmake phone calls to dealers. I appreciate all your inputs and help.

Did you call them to get the 2008 price since I didn't see it on their web site?

-mike-
I emailed them and they got back to me the same day.

All dealers in the US pay the same for a new FJR. The invoice as I've been able to sniff out is: $11720.00. Most dealers are tacking on all kind of fees and dealer prep etc. If you have the time D&H cycle in Cullman, Alabama has one 2008 and will sell it for $11999.99 otd. You will have to pay tax and license in your home state. They will also pick you up at the airport for free.

Do the math $11999.99-$11720.00= $279.99. That is their profit. Just about fair. I won't pay more than $12,200.00 for a new one plus tt&l. They can keep 'em. I do pay cash and with the economy in this condition many dealers are hurting for sales. Good luck. Remember, the depreciation on motorcycles is twice that of new cars. So, if you get in heavy it's going to hurt on the back end. No matter how awesome everyone seems to think the FJR is. Of course, if you're rich it doesn't matter what you pay. Measure twice and cut once. Dirk

Has anyone ever dealt with this dealer?
New FJR1300A = $11,775 + fees. It doesn't indicate if it is an '07 or '08.

https://www.yocracing.com/Sales/bikes/sportsls.htm
The picture and the MSRP price are of the '08 model. The asterisk says the pricing is starting at whatever they mean by that. If only tax, title, license and doc fees added that is a great price. Cal. taxes are 8.25 I believe. Looks like a Yammy dealership too.

Has anyone ever dealt with this dealer?
New FJR1300A = $11,775 + fees. It doesn't indicate if it is an '07 or '08.

https://www.yocracing.com/Sales/bikes/sportsls.htm
The picture and the MSRP price are of the '08 model. The asterisk says the pricing is starting at whatever they mean by that. If only tax, title, license and doc fees added that is a great price. Cal. taxes are 8.25 I believe. Looks like a Yammy dealership too.
I called them. The price OTD to an out of state buyer is $12,842 (no CA sales tax) which includes $1067 for freight and set-up. The freight/set-up seems excessive.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are buying out of state, you can trade in an "unlicensed dirt bike" for $4,000 or so and save a lot of sales tax at home.

Last edited by a moderator: