2008 FJR W/ PC III fixed the stall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Daddy

Reaction score
Ok i did do alot of thing at one time. But i have the goodies in my sig, my biggest complaint was It kept stalling off idle. Anyway I bought the Leo Vince, PC III, and K & N, cause eveyone told me if would fix. So i had the deliema do i goto the dealer first and let them try the CO's, or T/B sync or do i just mod the hell out of it and see what happens.

Anyway they must have fixed the 08's for the throttle cause i dont think i need the G2. After putting everything on, i loaded the map for slip-ons, with K & N, and O2 disconnected. I start the bike, first thing i notice while watch in my laptop is my Tach is off slightly. On the tach its at 1150rpms about, on the laptop its at 950-1000rpms. But i didnt want to adjust anything cause i wanted to see if the PC III does what everyone said it would. well it [SIZE=12pt]WORKS[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I tried everything i could to creat the stall, it just wouldnt happen. Cracking the throttle, over and over, nope. In and out of twisties, nope. Slowing down to turn, down shifting, nope. There was nothing i could do to creat a stall. Now i didnt even know i could program the TPS myself, but i will. [/SIZE]

Anyway to everyone on the fence not wanting to spend 300 more for something, just do it. The response from the bike is awsome. There is no dead spots, and that is just using Map provided by dynojet. Now after enjoying all over again, like getting the new bike, i will start to filter the needs and feels of it. Might try to add alittle of wally's map. I cant say enough for that little box. Yes as all will say Yamaha should fix their problems, so we dont have to add on to it. But you know what, they have to awnser to EPA and all that crap, so yes they should, but they cant. So we will. It feels great to play with toys.

In all honesty, if I didnt buy this i would have spent the 300 on something else for it.

Thanks for you time

Bob

Amen, well said, Buy one when you purchase your new FJRs and it will be great from the get go.

hey it only took me 5 day of owning it to order the PC ;) Not to bad i bought it and in the first week spent a little over 1k on mods. but i've been at this game long enough, and i can say it now has everything i need. With my harleys it was always 1k now, 600 next month, 1k six months later. The FJR hands down one of the best built bikes ever. I just wish i would have seen the light earlier.

I'm picking up my '08 on Saturday. I admit I am mechanically challenged. How easy is the PIII to install? And will it void the warranty?

I've read about the throttle response complaints and so far, that's really the only bug in an otherwise wonderful motorcycle.

Bob

install isnt difficult if your confortable with lifting up the back of the tank, and running the ground to the battery in the front fairing. If your ok with that the rest of it is easy. The warrenty issue has been discussed in other threads. Mine told me if it is install properly they wouldnt have a problem. They are the one selling it to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had my bike for a little over 3 months and 8000 miles and would not waste my money on one. Good gas mileage and no troubles with mine.

you probably got the luck of the draw. I have found some with and some without in the past couple of days.

you probably got the luck of the draw. I have found some with and some without in the past couple of days.

that or I am just not a finicky as some. I can make it get jerky if I try but I have found that with good throttle control it is like a lamb, It is also getting smoother with every mile.

Spook,

Remember you've got an '07. The guys with '08s are reporting a problem that we don't have--that the bike stalls coming off idle. There have been numerous accounts of this on this forum, and I've not seen any such reports for '06 or '07 models. Yamaha may have introduced a new problem into the FI on the '08 model. If a PCIII remedies it, I say it is not a waste of money.

Spook,
Remember you've got an '07. The guys with '08s are reporting a problem that we don't have--that the bike stalls coming off idle. There have been numerous accounts of this on this forum, and I've not seen any such reports for '06 or '07 models. Yamaha may have introduced a new problem into the FI on the '08 model. If a PCIII remedies it, I say it is not a waste of money.

I would like to know what the idles are set at.

mine was set at 1150 as the miles went on it dropped alittle and i was able to raise it. But when i talk about the problem i was having and many others have experienced is, i could be stopped in my driveway, crack the throttle a couple of times and it will stall. Same thing happens at a red light. Now while both of those instances are more of a annoyance than anything else. The danger is while going around a turn down shiftting, in the middle of the turn when you go to hit the gas again it dies, your in a position to drop the bike.

mine was set at 1150 as the miles went on it dropped alittle and i was able to raise it. But when i talk about the problem i was having and many others have experienced is, i could be stopped in my driveway, crack the throttle a couple of times and it will stall. Same thing happens at a red light. Now while both of those instances are more of a annoyance than anything else. The danger is while going around a turn down shiftting, in the middle of the turn when you go to hit the gas again it dies, your in a position to drop the bike.
Obvously it is broken, why wouldn't you take it to the shop and tell them to fix it under warranty??? If my 08 exhibited these problems I wouldn't be spending my money to fix it.

Dealer had no clue what would cause it. They claimed that the O2 setting wernt effective on the 08's. Now they where willing to do what ever i needed done, But 1. i wasnt willing to leave the bike for them to diagnois what i did already & 2. i was going to add the PC III anyway for performance. That why i added the pipes filter and all. Also for not busting their balls and having a good relationship with them, they gave me all my mods at their cost. So they ended up saving me money, in the long run. They did call Yamaha to document it as a problem, and their un-official response(yamaha Corp) "The problem is noted, it will research any other cases of this problem". So they got BS from their own company. The cure Yamaha said was to trouble shoot cable slack or problems, Sync TPS, And to check for air leaks around the intake. Anyway my dealer was more satisfied with my diagnosis, and with my cure. Save me the cash for other toys. And again i cant make this thing stall. Tried hard as hell today. We had a 9/11 memorial ride for 80 miles at slow speeds. I tried my best to screw with it, being that I had the time. You have nothing else to do going through beach fronts than twisties around water passages with chopping friends. Did stall it once while parking it on gravel, but that was my fault. Pulled in in 3rd stopped and forgot to shift to 1st.......hey it was hot as shit out.LOL

On a happy note i did get to open it up on the way home, ya know i am over the breakin miles, anybody know the top end limit?

P.S. "Bigtime" you avitar looks like me in the morning, before my pot of coffee. LOL

Dealer had no clue what would cause it. They claimed that the O2 setting wernt effective on the 08's. Now they where willing to do what ever i needed done, But 1. i wasnt willing to leave the bike for them to diagnois what i did already & 2. i was going to add the PC III anyway for performance. That why i added the pipes filter and all. Also for not busting their balls and having a good relationship with them, they gave me all my mods at their cost. So they ended up saving me money, in the long run. They did call Yamaha to document it as a problem, and their un-official response(yamaha Corp) "The problem is noted, it will research any other cases of this problem". So they got BS from their own company. The cure Yamaha said was to trouble shoot cable slack or problems, Sync TPS, And to check for air leaks around the intake. Anyway my dealer was more satisfied with my diagnosis, and with my cure. Save me the cash for other toys. And again i cant make this thing stall. Tried hard as hell today. We had a 9/11 memorial ride for 80 miles at slow speeds. I tried my best to screw with it, being that I had the time. You have nothing else to do going through beach fronts than twisties around water passages with chopping friends. Did stall it once while parking it on gravel, but that was my fault. Pulled in in 3rd stopped and forgot to shift to 1st.......hey it was hot as shit out.LOLOn a happy note i did get to open it up on the way home, ya know i am over the breakin miles, anybody know the top end limit?

P.S. "Bigtime" you avitar looks like me in the morning, before my pot of coffee. LOL
At least you fixed it right and you're happy. Jumping up and down and screaming at the dealer probably wouldn't have accomplished the same results. The Avitar is Flea from the RHCP, mix with the morning coffee and you'll be set.

Thanks, ya i know how it is, and your right mixing it in the morning with coffee could work. I do listen to heavy sh!t in the early morning.LOL

you state "many others" have had this problem... ? i've had no such issues with my '08... (yet).

a speratic few on here have mention it, or in reading the post on the G2, they have found part of the solution. From what i can tell my bike doesnt need the G2. I have seen it on 3 local bikes, but again must have corrected it because of changes they made to the bike.

EDIT: i can also say i have seen 2 people that have no problems at all. So take it for what it worth. I've been riding long enough to know how a bike should feel, so for me, it had to change. Also maybe some people dont crack and rev the gas at a stop, and they might rev alot higher to let out a clutch, and they might not address the twisties in an agressive manor as i do. But again it might not be on every bike.

Spook,

I would like to know what the idles are set at.
======

1100 rpms at idle when warm.. 950 just off choke ...

I have found that a little more throttle solved it .. but I still purchased the commander and will install it......