2008 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeld

Reaction score
NOTE This is pure speculation and wishful thinking on my part and is not anything I've picked up from a dealer or rep. These are not facts.

I was toying with a new FJR in 2007 to mark a milestone birthday (I have a 2003 FJR right now). I also like the BMW K1200GT but have not ridden it yet. Kawasaki are introducing the 1400GTR (Concours in some markets). The 2006 improvements to the FJR were minor developments apart from the chip-controlled shift. It seems that the 2007 model is only going to bring some new colour schemes. :(

So, my thinking is that Yamaha will introduce some interesting changes for the 2008 model year to keep it competitive in a market where other makers are starting to make inroads. I don't include the ST here because that, to me, is 'tourer' and not 'sport-tourer'.

Now, I know we all have our own wish-lists but these thoughts are based on what could happen and what Yamaha might need to do to stay ahead:

• An improved YCCS auto-shift where a clutch lever is introduced for pulling away (a switch would make this fully auto as is the case now) but uses clutchless shifting once on the move.
  • A sixth gear. OK, it's not really necessary and one of the reasons I like the FJR is the grunt available in top but long-distance high-speed touring seems to demand a 6th gear even if it is match what the competition offer.
  • Heated seat option and maybe include heated mirrors for winter riders. Front turn signals now built into the mirrors which are slightly bigger and wider giving a better view of the road behind.
  • Xenon headlights
  • Minor restyling of the fairing and screen to give better weather protection and make the bike look a little more aggressive.
  • Minor revisions to the instruments to give them greater clarity (bigger numbers better spread round the dial) and bigger turn warning lights like on the pre-2006 model.
  • A special equipment (SE) model that incorporates some of the above (heated seats, xenon etc.) and also includes a navigation device (like the Moto Guzzi Brevia)
As Yamaha seem to update the FJR every two years, something is likely to happen in 2008. Since my current FJR is going really well right now (apart from the need for a new shock soon) I am loathe to part-ex it for something next year knowing that a significantly better FJR might be here in 2008 and I'll have the choice of that, the BMW or the Kawasaki.
Maybe I'll just farkle my current ride for 2007. Mmmmh......

Last edited by a moderator:
As Yamaha seem to update the FJR every two years, something is likely to happen in 2008. Since my current FJR is going really well right now (apart from the need for a new shock soon) I am loathe to part-ex it for something next year knowing that a significantly better FJR might be here in 2008 and I'll have the choice of that, the BMW or the Kawasaki.
How do you figure? The first generation of FJR ran four years I believe. The 2001 (European only) and 2003-2005 North American models spanned 4 to 5 years (2001 to 2005) with only the addition of ABS, upgraded brakes, and a few other more cosmetic changes. I agree that they might make some smaller updates in the face of some competition, but I would bet it would be another 2009 to 2011 before substantial changes like a 6th gear would be considered. HID lights would be cool though!

More displacement, better suspension, less weight. They seem to be going in the wrong direction in the weight department.

Maybe, as suggested by others when looking at the Kawasaki offerings, they'll branch off in two directions, one being a full touring model and the other more sporty.

In any case, I agree with Iggy; don't expect major changes in 2008.

I like the idea of heated mirrors, or maybe just a "cold weather package" with heated grips, mirrors, (not so keen on a heated seat though).

Other than those very minor details, I am exceptionally pleased with my '06 in its as is condition.

05's have stronger fork springs and rear shock improvements that the prior years. Incremental improvements are not unheard of. All of them were fairly easy to accomplish though.

Never say never gentlemen....
Who said never? When I did a text search on the thread only you said never. ....except for now when I was responding to you, the one time I'm about to say it, TWN sneaking in a post, and the countless people that are likely to say it after this post.....

I rarely say never and never say nurdlefong. That would just be silly....or Canadian.

I would never say never. You will never find me on a list of people saying never. Never happen.

I was impressed with Yamaha's response to the accumulative FJR1300 criticisms when they engineered the '06. I'm guessing that it's probably cost effective for them to only make small changes that are largely being augmented by the aftermarket, like turn-signal-cancelling or cruise control. If the FJR platform is still around and not changed into a flagship cruising tourer by 2011, I'd think that they will probably incorporated significant changes then, changes that are only viable in the manufacturing or redesigning stages. For example, weight redistribution or reduction, kickstand anti-collapsing, or wheelbase and rake modifications.

So, is it most of you guys think that the 500lb FJR1500 won't come out till 2010. If they want to hang with the new KAW. they better do it before then or they may lose alot of sales. I'm hoping by 08 or 09 at the latest.

Glenn

So, is it most of you guys think that the 500lb FJR1500 won't come out till 2010. If they want to hang with the new KAW. they better do it before then or they may lose alot of sales. I'm hoping by 08 or 09 at the latest.

Glenn
Make that FJR1800.

I like the idea of the "Cold Weather package" also, they might add the navigation/communication package too. If that was offered for the 2008, I'd buy the FJR in a heart beat for 08, even if they offered the bike color in grass green.

I like what I've heard about the 06's dealing with the heat issue. I didn't like the weight gain. Maybe they could lose the pounds and make Ohlin's an option (like they did on snowmobiles). And make the color FIRE ENGINE RED!! :D

Tom

Here's my two cents in case anyone is taking notes (and cares)...

1) Lighter (like 530-550 max. lbs.)

2) sturdier front handling (maybe use the bmw suspension system for the front).

3) Heat issues eliminated without that chinsey looking sliding panel thingies on the side.

4) Accessory outlet in a better location

5) Battery in a better location

6) Make the look of the control panel sportier (03-05 models were fine).

7) Keep the outside air temp guage that's on the 06.

8) Get rid of the automatic and make that into a Yamaha 'Goldwing' if they wish.

9) Oh, and make the fairings flow more ergonomically. I kind of liked the smooth lines of a BMW k12rs.

10) RED...what the hell is wrong with red? I WANT RED!!!!