2008 Stalling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine seems to be fixed. Idle needs to be closer to 1100. Hard to believe the injection would be that finicky. Not a real issue as long as you know where it needs to be.

Something else that might make it more RPM sensitive is if the throttle bodies are out of sync.

Might be hard to talk the dealer into checking tho.

Something else that might make it more RPM sensitive is if the throttle bodies are out of sync. Might be hard to talk the dealer into checking tho.
Not to worry, there's a Morgan Carbtune in the mail heading my way. I'll be checking throttle body sync as soon as it drops off the plane. I'll let you know if this was an issue. Seems like a few people are having this issue with the '08s.

Hey BBC & Saread, Did you get the bikes back to the Dealer and have them fixed??

Its been so cold in the NE that I still have 54 miles on it. The Dealer wanted me to put 100 miles before I brought it in. I should do that this week and bring it in towards the end of the week.

Rob

Yup. I made the dealer look it over and they set up the idle. I don't think they had a look a the throttle bodies tho. It stalled like 15 times in the first 300 mi. and hasn't done it since I've had it back from the dealer about 350 mi. ago. The idle was a tick over a grand before it went in and looks like a tick under 1100 now. Not much of an adjustment, but a big difference in performance.

Well, went riding again this week and the bike is doing the same thing. I have about 100 miles on the clock so will be bring it back to the Dealer next week.

Has any other 2008 owners experienced this issue?

Well, went riding again this week and the bike is doing the same thing. I have about 100 miles on the clock so will be bring it back to the Dealer next week.
Has any other 2008 owners experienced this issue?

Well I don't know where you live, but there is still too much bad weather for me. I'll let you know when I start riding it. I hope not. This has me a bit worried though.

The ECU for the 08 is a new PN.

08 3P6-8591A-60

07 - 23 over the counter (current)

07 - 24 replacement ECU

07 - 22 bad ECU

06 - 20 bad 06 ECU

The 08 ECU suggested retail is $163.43 more than the 07. Do I smell a fucking rat here? I think Yamaha has a dirty engine on their hands and they are trying to save retooling cost by leaning the FJ out with the ECU.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a brand new 08 with 78 miles on it. not more than a mile from the dealer the engine quit, I thought it ran out of gas and that may be. I coasted into a gas station and filled it up then headed on my 48 mile trip home. 20 miles into my trip while coasting up to a red light the engine died, I restarted it and went on. this has happened at least ten more times. It also seems to run hot as I took my wife for a ride around town. my heat guage got up to 6 bars and the cooling fans did not come on. by the time I made it back home the engine was spiking as I pulled away from stop signs. Today I went out to see if I could get the engine warm enough to kick on the cooling fans but at idle it would only reach 4 bars. I reved the engine to 2500rpm for about a minute the guage went to 5 bars still no fans but the pipe right out of the engine started glowing red hot. I shut it off... any input would be great... I am taking it back to the dealer

No issues here. Just hit 265 miles on my 08 today and the bike has not stalled once. I havent had any issues at all other then having to work and not getting to ride it more. :D

my idle is just under 1000rpms after it warms up.. I just went out to the garage and turned it up to 1100rpms..after a quick ride it seems to be fixed.

Seems like Yamaha just can't get the feejer just right, huh? I had to wait 6 months for a new ECU to be able to ride my '07 in the mountains, so don't feel bad.

Hey guys, you might be able to fix the problem by increasing the CO levels (making mixture richer at idle and low throttle openings). Do a search on 'barbarian mod', so you know how to enable the ECU to make those changes from your dash, plus access the diagnostic feature (it's great). With the diagnostic feature you can turn both fans individually with code 51 I believe, so you immediately know if they're working or not. You can test almost anything from the dash. Most GenII owners raise the CO numbers by 5 points to improve rideability. I left them stock after the new ECU, but it doesn't hurt to try at all, and takes a minute to put back to stock if needed.

By the way, I'd like to know what are the factory CO numbers for '08s, so if somebody can post them, I'd appreciate it. Mine ('07) are 5,18,18,21. Read the '08 has a different part number; wonder what's the difference. If it's $100+ more expensive, I'd think it has a baro sensor built in for a change; that'd be great. But just doesn't make sense bike is stalling with one on board. Hmmmm. I'd get the idle to 1,200 if I were you, plus raise the CO levels +5. If bike still stalls like that, then it's going to be something else. Hope you don't have to wait 6 months for a cure like we did. Good luck folks.

JC

I have a brand new 08 with 78 miles on it. not more than a mile from the dealer the engine quit, I thought it ran out of gas and that may be. I coasted into a gas station and filled it up then headed on my 48 mile trip home. 20 miles into my trip while coasting up to a red light the engine died, I restarted it and went on. this has happened at least ten more times. It also seems to run hot as I took my wife for a ride around town. my heat guage got up to 6 bars and the cooling fans did not come on. by the time I made it back home the engine was spiking as I pulled away from stop signs. Today I went out to see if I could get the engine warm enough to kick on the cooling fans but at idle it would only reach 4 bars. I reved the engine to 2500rpm for about a minute the guage went to 5 bars still no fans but the pipe right out of the engine started glowing red hot. I shut it off... any input would be great... I am taking it back to the dealer
The fans will not come on until it reaches 7 bars. Also, when you rev it circulates the coolant and should not get to 7 bars. Let the bike idle for about 3 minutes after it reaches the half way mark and you will hear the fans turn on.

Gotta 2008 with 110 miles on it. I have noticed blipping the throttle from idle does stall 'er about 80% of the time. I did think this was odd. But I chalked it up to uber lean FI conditions that bikes are set up with at the factory. I have always been a 'blipper' and just felt I would change my ways with the FJR. But I am interested to know if this is an issue or non issue. My idle is set at 1100 RPM. My bike has never died en route or just idling.

thx

Scott

With carbureted engines, when you blip the throttle the carbs dump excess gas which loads up the exhaust, some of the excess gas washes the oil off the cylinder walls and a little bit gets past the rings and into the oil, but the engine keeps on running.

The USA model FJRs have always had very EPA friendly FI mapping. One of the dirtiest emission events you can have (besides a cold start) is abrupt throttle release. Yamaha has dealt with this by instituting a stiff (excessive) decel FI shut-off. It's covered in the Gen I FSM. This is probably the reason the engine dies.

If any of you blippers install a PCIII, let us know if it still dies post blip.

Good point. the off-throttle "chop" from the ECU has been blamed for several things, including touchy throttle response in corners. Increased demands by EPA can create a lot of drivability issues that they really don't care about in their headlong rush to force everyone onto mass transit.