2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, I'm suprised Scooter is apparently staying in Kanuckistan, even given the possible bonni. You just can't make the same kind of headway there as, say, I-90/94.
BwanaDik, that may indeed very well be my fault. I did relay the information to Skooty that Toecutter had an inside track about a rather large herd of hyperactive Gerbils in Alberta, Kanuckistan.

Holy fookin' crap, just like every Day 11 of the Iron Butt Rally, they are HEART-BREAKING stories emerging..... looks like we lost another BMW due to it's final drive..... and we've had an IBR rookie wait till flippin' Day 11 to crash his bike; he's out of the rally.
The Drama.... the Human Element..... it's Day 11 of the Iron Butt Rally!
Oh... not good. I hope that the crasher is relatively unscathed and in good health. Sorry for the Beemer rider, too. Heartbreaker for sure.

Thanks BwanaDik, I have Google Earth going big time trying to figure out how Davo was going to route, but then heard that he was going South which threw my original guess out the window. I'm familiar with I90 and the ability to make miles in that area but I was looking at distance rather than speed when doing my guesses. :huh:

Cheers,

Allan

Again, I'm suprised Scooter is apparently staying in Kanuckistan, even given the possible bonni. You just can't make the same kind of headway there as, say, I-90/94.
BwanaDik, that may indeed very well be my fault. I did relay the information to Skooty that Toecutter had an inside track about a rather large herd of hyperactive Gerbils in Alberta, Kanuckistan.
TMI

Gerbils

Resistance is futile!!!!

I'm loving this stuff - glued to my PC

ibrspectator003.jpg

Roadmagnet, that is funny! :clapping:

I'm not quite at that stage (dress-wise) yet but I have to go out shortly and the bike is all I have, so ATGATT, even when viewing this site :)

Cheers,

Allan

Funny thing happened during the run across Michigan's UP yesterday. Short version: I got passed rather unceremoniously by another Blue FJR while I was tooling along enjoying a late afternoon PayDay (packed with peanuts!)

I had to wick it up good to catch up with this guy who appeared to be in a bit of a hurry, Bambi threat be damned!

Finally caught up around the Michigan/Wisconsin Border. It was Iggy- making a beeline for Winnipeg I think.

We had a 45 second conversation and I snapped one photo. Off he went.

Small world.

I'm in Bismarck , ND tonight, enjoying the heck out of my cross country adventure.

Pics later.

Russ

I was traveling east on I-90 west of Columbus, MT around 4pm. State patrol was closing I-90 due to a fire that started from a lighting strike.

Holy fookin' crap, just like every Day 11 of the Iron Butt Rally, they are HEART-BREAKING stories emerging..... looks like we lost another BMW due to it's final drive..... and we've had an IBR rookie wait till flippin' Day 11 to crash his bike; he's out of the rally.
Dayum, don't do this to us WC. We need updates by the minute. I sure hope the rider is OK after the crash. I musta jinxed the BMW logo by praising the fact that there has been only the one FD that went tits up on another forum. Oh well probably woulda happened anyway--may there be no others.

doctorj

I just spoke to Skooter, he was eating at a Subway in Saskatoon. He is now heading south west looking for a couple more bonii....

R

I was traveling east on I-90 west of Columbus, MT around 4pm. State patrol was closing I-90 due to a fire that started from a lighting strike.
Just checked the MT Road report and nothing was mentioned.........

Could it be just a temporary closure?

I hope the rider is OK!

So is the BMW rider at least carrying his spare final drive?!? I know a few were doing this and at least another who had it boxed and ready to ship at a moments notice!

My SS1K in 2004 was from Regina, SK to Sunnyside, WA in about 17 hours.

If Iggy and Greg are still in S'Toon they need to wick it up big time.

Some of the small SK/MT border crossings are not open 24 hours but I'm sure they've done their homework on the ones that are. Wouldn't expect any significant delays on a Thursday evening unless they're packing...