2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is fun. I'm going to miss reading these updates once the rally is done.
welcome to the fold. watchers go through withdrawal after each rally. Riders go through TSD.
Yeah, it has been tough going this year to get my "fix" during the rally. '07 had a bunch of places to go with a lot of blogging/updates from the riders and friends - made for some very unproductive days at work :rolleyes: This forum has provided the best coverage by far this time around and has gathered quite a few new members, myself included. I'll be sticking around after it is over, though, as there are some great resources here. :yahoo:

Cheers,

Allan

:assassin:

Oh and BeemerDon GET A CELL PHONE! He wants to cal you at 4 am.
:clapping:
Good Morning GSJane, That's why I'm up at 3 am, waiting for my wake up phone call from our man SkooterG. Go SkootyG!

Don, seriously, get a cell phone. Hell even your ex-wife was telling me I need to convince you to get a cell phone! :headsetsmiley:

Yes Don get a fucking cell phone you dinosaur...

see you saturday.

R
This is sounding like an echo! I am typing this with the phone receiver up to my ear while simultaneously talking to Skooter!

He's just finished giving me shit over not having a cell phone, Arturo's brother lives next to my ex-wife Jean and Arte now sees my son Seth over there when Seth's staying with Jeanie and now I have got a frigging Brit wanker giving me grief too!!

Oh well, here's Skoot's current report: This's really freaking funny, I'm sitting here typing while he's just happily motor mouthing away into his phone, I haven't spoken in 5 minutes; typical GreggieM! He's currently 1,046 miles and 16 hours away from the barn. He is still on Canadian Route 16, the Yellowknife Highway, riding like a man with a purpose!

Last edited by a moderator:
SPOT Snapshot - 3pm PDT, 3 Sept 2009:

SPOT_3pmPDT3SEP.jpg

Looking at that map, Iggy is not that much closer to the finish than Scooter. Let's hope they don't use too much time crossing the border. I can't imagine what the border guards are going to think when they see those guys pull up after ten+ days on the road.

I don't know what TSD means, but if it were me I'd want TDS -Ten Days Sleep

Looking at that map, Iggy is not that much closer to the finish than Scooter. Let's hope they don't use too much time crossing the border. I can't imagine what the border guards are going to think when they see those guys pull up after ten+ days on the road.
A lot depends on the specific border crossing they use. I've crossed a few times at Chief Mountain, in the northeast corner of Glacier National Park, and each time it's taken less than five minutes. At some of the busier ones I've waited close to an hour.

I would wager a guess that most of the Canadian traveling folk will cross back into US somewhere north of Spokane. Hopefully those border crossings go well. Also I hope all of the riders remember where they stashed their passports!

I would wager a guess that most of the Canadian traveling folk will cross back into US somewhere north of Spokane. Hopefully those border crossings go well. Also I hope all of the riders remember where they stashed their passports!
I take it that you don't need to show your passport to get out of the US and into Canuck territory, but it is required to come back in?

Go Davo!

Again, I'm suprised Scooter is apparently staying in Kanuckistan, even given the possible bonni. You just can't make the same kind of headway there as, say, I-90/94.

I take it that you don't need to show your passport to get out of the US and into Canuck territory, but it is required to come back in?

Go Davo!
I believe that passport is required in both directions, so there is always a possibility of a random hold up getting through :glare:

Davo looks to be in good shape at this time and, I suspect, heading for the barn on CDN 7.

Cheers,

Allan

Wholy International drama batman!!!

just stopped to hydrate and take a peak and this is really something. me halfway to spokane and considerig going all the way

(CLICKY) if anyone needs a roomie

I'll get out of the way here and back on the road ....cheers to what looks to be a very dramatic finish for a bunch of guyz and galz!!

RJ

Skooter is currently about 60 miles out side Saskatoon, once he gets that Bonii it will be a made dash to the barn.......(i hope)

I bet he packs a real alarm clock for the next rally.....

R

Go Davo!
Absolutely required! And if anybody's gonna' look like a terrorist whackjob, it'll be an IBR rider after 10 days on a rally bike.

"What's all them 'lectrical wires and boxes fer, boy? Say what? You're homing in on Spooooocane? Now, what's so danged special about Spoooooocane, sickleboy? You better pull that bike over there to the 'spection area so we can us have a look."

Looks like Davo has turned South on CDN 4 out of Rosetown, towards the town of Swift Current. Looks like an awkward route to Spokane from there.

Cheers,

Allan

Skooter is currently about 60 miles out side Saskatoon, once he gets that Bonii it will be a made dash to the barn.......(i hope)
I bet he packs a real alarm clock for the next rally.....

R
58ish MPH by my TSD calcs. Do-able but right on the edge.

QUOTE (Allan B @ Sep 3 2009, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like Davo has turned South on CDN 4 out of Rosetown, towards the town of Swift Current. Looks like an awkward route to Spokane from there.
Cheers,

Allan
I thought there was some sore of "black out" by the IBA team. How is everyone getting these reports?

What's the deal?

Cheers,

Allan
From Swift Current, it's a small border crossing on 191, then fast and unpopulated Montana roads to Great Falls, then I-15 and I-90 to the barn. Those roads are fairly straight and quick, and it's better than trying to make time through Canada and then dropping south to Spokane.

Cheers,

Allan
I thought there was some sore of "black out" by the IBA team. How is everyone getting these reports?

What's the deal?
Age and cunning. A lot of us here have done rallyes, either cage or bike, and can anticipate the most likely route based on very little information. Of course, none of it may be correct, simply informed speculation.

Holy fookin' crap, just like every Day 11 of the Iron Butt Rally, they are HEART-BREAKING stories emerging..... looks like we lost another BMW due to it's final drive..... and we've had an IBR rookie wait till flippin' Day 11 to crash his bike; he's out of the rally.

The Drama.... the Human Element..... it's Day 11 of the Iron Butt Rally!

I can't take it. It's like a soap opera on wheels. Eeeeek. I'm just hoping everyone makes it back safe where ever that might be.

Thanks for the updates Dale.

Curt