2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So - who's bike is this?
You get three guesses - and the first two don't count !!

635694239_orJoL-M.jpg
Yep, I know who he is and I owe him a steak dinner.

We had a bet on who would hit 200k first - he won. Damn it!

quote]

In the event that one does not run an aux tank, is it allowed to carry say a 2-3Gal jerry can, just in case a planned gas station is closed or has crappy fuel as we've seen happen already in this rally?

No.

<snip 03 rule>

Actually, it would be more accurate to say that the rules for this are year specific, since it has varied in the past. For example, in 2001, when the Prudhoe Bay bonus was announced, there was an exception made for the riders with no fuel cells that were heading to AK in order to allow them to carry a spare fuel jug due to the impossibility of getting fuel at night on some parts of the route. When they could start using it and when they had to stop using it was clearly defined, as were the paperwork requirements.

[SIZE=18pt]Wow,[/SIZE]

How many others were shocked at some of the swings in positions from Leg1 to Leg2???

...I couldn't help but wonder how the breakdown looked so I threw this together:

CLICKY(HERE)

Yep, I know who he is and I owe him a steak dinner.
We had a bet on who would hit 200k first - he won. Damn it!

Keep in mind it will have another 5K or so on it when he returns home -

That's gonna be a big steak. :D

EDIT: - fyi, his turn signal switch appears to be wearing out. I'm thinking he's exceeded the expected cycle life of the switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=18pt]Wow,[/SIZE]
How many others were shocked at some of the swings in positions from Leg1 to Leg2???

...I couldn't help but wonder how the breakdown looked so I threw this together:

CLICKY(HERE)

Gosh, your post is very interesting, I've never thought about it like that before now. :D

Actually, pretty good chart, the difference kinda jumps right out at you, thanks

UNCOOL NEWS.....

We have lost two FJR1300s.... one may be back, the other will not.

Mark Dieck has suffered the classic 2007 FJR1300 failure: he is on the side of the road with a dead ignition swich. He is made some calls to try to get himself back on the road. He is in he Las Vegas area... can anyone help?!!!

The other FJR1300 I am not authorized to comment on further at this point. The rider is okay, but he is out of the rally.

UNCOOL NEWS.....

Mark Dieck has suffered the classic 2007 FJR1300 failure: he is on the side of the road with a dead ignition swich. He is made some calls to try to get himself back on the road. He is in he Las Vegas area... can anyone help?!!!

The other FJR1300 I am not authorized to comment on further at this point. The rider is okay, but he is out of the rally.
I'm not sure what the 07 fault is, but my 03 ign switch left me at a gas station. I fixed it with wire, 2 male spade plugs and a shielded male/female pair of plugs- The sheilded pair is now my new switch, lay it over the handlebar and pull apart to shut off the motor.

Under the tank is a plug that you can plug the 2 male plugs into.

I have a photo, but don't know how to attach. If I can be any more help, ask.

UNCOOL NEWS.....

I'm not sure what the 07 fault is, but my 03 ign switch left me at a gas station. I fixed it with wire, 2 male spade plugs and a shielded male/female pair of plugs- The sheilded pair is now my new switch, lay it over the handlebar and pull apart to shut off the motor.

Under the tank is a plug that you can plug the 2 male plugs into.

I have a photo, but don't know how to attach. If I can be any more help, ask.

tying this..

ign%20wire2.JPG

This is an interesting set up. Two up riders? I'm assuming this is an aux fuel cell with two hydration systems attached?
don't assume it's a couple on that bike just because of the water capacity.

I ran 2 1-gallon jugs in 03 using this setup

https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/hyd/hyd.html

that was the year we started in the NW and headed counter clockwise. so on the leg that's kinda-sorta like the one they are on currently, we hit temps in excess of 110. i drained both jugs, refilled, and drained them a second time in 1 24 hour period (without extra bathroom breaks).

Do you get any benefit or penalty for NOT having the auxillary cell?
no required fuel log. i don't remember if you get some points for keeping one when it's not required, but it may.

UNCOOL NEWS.....

Sounds like Brodie needs to put on his flying cape and zoooomm to the rescue with a new switch and bypass. :p

By the terseness of the above I might assume some sort of rule was broken.....

Any chance of the bonii map?

UNCOOL NEWS.....

Sounds like Brodie needs to put on his flying cape and zoooomm to the rescue with a new switch and bypass. :p

By the terseness of the above I might assume some sort of rule was broken.....

Any chance of the bonii map?

Too bad he is not in Washington already. I have a brand new switch setting in my garage.

Mark Dieck update:

Ride Now Powersports of Las Vegas has quasi-stepped up to the plate for us.

Mark happened to catch the Service Manager in the store, even though they are not open on Monday. On the positive side, they have a full Ignition Switch Recall kit in stock, so they have the parts in hand. The bummer is, they won't work on it until tomorrow.

The Service Manager went out in his pickup, grabbed Mark and the FJR1300, and brought them both to the dealership. So that's cool.