2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics of the finishers' banquet, courtesy of Voni Glaves:https://s320.photobucket.com/albums/nn335/G...mview=slideshowwith this pic of the top 10 finishers:
DSCF4253.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It was fun following all the events once again and congrats to Matt, Greg, and TurboDave and all those who rode and helped run an excellent competition. Most of all huge prayers going out to Davo and his family and I encourage all to join in to keep him lifted up for healing. Painman. <><

:clapping: [SIZE=14pt]Congratulations![/SIZE]

To all of the Riders of the 2009 IBR. This being my first Rally following, I truly lived through your adventures and charismatic 'Grit' as you all braved a extremely difficult challenge. Awesome threads with much emotion tied to every daily report.

I have prayed for Davo and his family; not what you want to go through, but it's not in our hands now.

https://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:8QhsC5H...aying_hands.jpg

This is a great event. Reading the threads and reports, helped me to understand the awesome nature of the event itself. WC and all other contributors did a mighty fine job.

There are only winners, they instantly become a winner win they sign up to commit to do the rally months out from start.

There are many words to describe what it takes to take on a challenge of this magnitude, and many contributors have used them quite well, I as a rider salute you and commend all of you for your decision to start and participate in this year IBR.

You give many of us; whom you may not ever meet: Courage, Confidence and Pride in something we enjoy.

Be Blessed, and catch up on your rest. :clapping:

Well everybody knows those Aussie's are a hard headed bunch, Best of Luck to Davo. Get well soon Mate.

Congrats to Skooter and Matt, Well done gentlemen, (and you too Iggy) ;) .

TurboDave: When I grow Up, I would like to be like you.... Well done SIR.....

It is with the heaviest heart and with many tears in my eyes as I type this from Davo's computer, but we just received the phone call that no one wants to receive. The nurse just called to inform us that Davo has just passed away. As I sit here at his desk, I look around and I see items and photo's that Davo treasured. There are photo's of him and Wil together, photo's of the kids, and his "GO FAR" number plate surrounded by his Iron Butt Association plate cover and his numerous IBA certificates that demonstrate his love and passion for distance riding.
Throughout today, I have fielded many, many phone calls from people from both here in Australia and overseas all relating small stories of how Davo enthused, motivated and/or encouraged them beyond what they thought they were capable of. And this typifies the type of guy he was. He was always so energetic and full of life. It is a crying shame to see it cut short - although if Davo had a choice, we all know he wouldn't have it any other way. He was living life to full and doing what he enjoyed. While we all are going to deal with this in different ways, Davo would always want us to adopt his attitude and look on the bright side. He would want us to remember the fun times and fond memories that each of us have with him.

On behalf of everyone sitting here in the room with me as I type this, a massive thank you for the support that you guys have out poured so far. It is very much appreciated. I will come back on here when we have more news about the arrangements that I am sure a lot of people will want info on.

Jim
thorne10.jpg

I wish to extend my condolences to the family and friends of Davo. I didn't know him personally, but he was an inspriation to me and many others.

May he go with the Gods and be safe and happy in their arms.

Man, this just pisses me off. I read on the LDrider list Bob Lyskowski/s (sp) report of his get off. The sheriff gave him a ticket of $111 for "improper driving on a mountain road". What???? He hits a deer for pete's sake. How the heck does that translate to improper driving on a mountain road or any road. The sherriff said he had no choice and the next county over would be even higher. If there are any LEOs on the forum, could you explain the convoluted logic behind this B.S.
So now does that mean that Davo will be given a ticket by some county sheriff while in the hospital after hitting a deer also? You know, the sane peeps have left the building and the loonies are running the place. I'm off the soap box now, but I still would like to hear some half way lucid explanation for the reasoning for this. I could understand it if going to hot into a corner and crashing or sumpin but this is just unreasonable.

doctorj
Well as I have to see in the local paper comments section online, people jump to whatever conclusion they want to. I have not seen Bob's response, or obviously the police report. When I worked in an area that covered crashes with forest rats. I personally did not cite unless the driver/rider did something overt like speeding that contributed. Not saying Bob was doing anything wrong, but the nature of this ride would indicate he MIGHT have been going a bit fast.

Just my .02

I add my sincere condolences for the family and loved ones of Davo. I did not have the pleasure of knowing him, other than through the posts about him here, but he is an inspiration in the way he lived his life.

God speed, and rest easy, Davo!

Don

out of curiosity does/did anyone in the IBR use deer avoidance gear, the little whistles or the electronic repellants?

Just wondering....