2009 KLR650 on the showroom floor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been thinking of a dual sport since the original GS800 airhead. I covet the new BMW 800GS but too expensive and nearest dealer is 90 miles away.

I was in the local Kawi dealer and a KLR650 was on the floor. My favorite mechanic works there. I talk to the salesman that sold me my VSTAR1100 and FJR at another dealership that went belly-up. He now works at the Kawi shop. I ask for grins, how much?

He says they have two new 2009's for $4999 with a couple hundred for plates and such. $5177 out the door. I talk to Jeremy the mechanic and he says there have been a couple recalls in wiring routing, the hanger on the pipe, etc. He has the parts in stock. So far he thinks the oil loss problem is fixed (quality control issue on the '08's). He says the chain tensioner will fail over time and suggested a billet aftermarket piece. He recommended a case cage/crash bar ASAP, and if I do more than gravel roads to replace the plastic radiator guard. Other than that he said the stock chain is good and a decent buy for what it is.

Why not a sorted out used one youask? No money down and @ 6.5% APR on the new one. I await the final numbers tomorrow am.

I'll need gear (Do they make humongous gear for off-road/dual sport riding?). What do I need right away versus down the road it-would-be-nice gear?

The wife says get the bike. I just got a $4000 yearly raise this week, and she says I hate my job and should get SOME fun from it.

I have never ridden off-road in my life other than sintered, gravel or dirt roads (and one mud hill climb) on the FJR. I admit is I want to ride that m*hterF'ing road to Owyhee Dam and get to the top. But also want to try a different kind of biking experience. My son wants to ride off-road after seeing the Funky Chicke race lastSaturday -- Jeremy ran third in the expert class and beat some pros by the way. So I figure I can toodle along behind my 12-year-old and make sure he is ok when I buy him a used dirtbike next Spring.

Any and all thoughts and suggestions welcome. Including advice not to buy it.

Thanks in advance.

The KLR is a pretty universal club. It doesn't do any one thing great but does most everything good. Its not a full on dirt bike by any means but will get you where you want to go and with care will last a hell of a long time. Read up on the Dohickey and change it out soon. I have owned one and worked on a bunch more and will own another one soon.

The KLR is a pretty universal club. It doesn't do any one thing great but does most everything good. Its not a full on dirt bike by any means but will get you where you want to go and with care will last a hell of a long time. Read up on the Dohickey and change it out soon. I have owned one and worked on a bunch more and will own another one soon.
Thanks. I did dome google searches and found some videos. Swapping the tensioner and spring is advised on multiple sites for all up to the '08 models. Necessary on the '09's as well? Same design? Any websites that are the cat's ass for tech. info on the KLR?

Founds this aftermarket kit:

balance idle lever and spring kit

Try THIS SITE for more information. Lotsa good folks on there and plenty of information. Between this forum and that forum you won't have to work at all any more. :rolleyes:

Try THIS SITE for more information. Lotsa good folks on there and plenty of information. Between this forum and that forum you won't have to work at all any more. :rolleyes:
Thanks, been up for hours looking through threads on that site. Already registered. Can't seem to see a consensus if the tensioner and spring needs replacing on the '09 models. But I did learn the '09 part is the same as the '08 (improved but flawed) and an upgrade appears to be done by most. So I'll probably do it. Now I'm looking at crash bars and bash plates... fun site.

I liked the guy that sprayed his entire KLR with bedliner ... lol looked stealthy too!

And it is 5am and going to be a LOOOOONG day. Hate when I think about the FJR or a new bike. I end up looking all over the place for farkles and gear.

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=640.0 FJRay has given a PERFECT description of the KLR and what it can do and what it cannot do. My 2006 KLR was ridden by myself to Mexico's Copper Canyon twice and its new Owner in AZ Beemers RJ Strayer has ridden "Mi Mexico Mule II" to Barrancas del Cobre for a third trip. I also rode my KLR in Baja California: From San Felipe via Puertacitos over nasty Tres Hermanas - Three Sisters passes on the Coastal Road to Coco's.

I also rode my KLR on the sandy West Side Highway from Punta Eugenia to Scorpion Bay in Baja Norte para Baja Sur ese.

I bought my KLR used from AZ Beemer Perry Johnson, who had ridden my KLR to Alaska and the Yukon before I started pointing her nose to Mexico. Perry had already installed the Doohickey and a Corbin saddle plus CorTech soft luggage bags.

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=640.0 FJRay has given a PERFECT description of the KLR and what it can do and what it cannot do. My 2006 KLR was ridden by myself to Mexico's Copper Canyon twice and its new Owner in AZ Beemers RJ Strayer has ridden "Mi Mexico Mule II" to Barrancas del Cobre for a third trip. I also rode my KLR in Baja California: From San Felipe via Puertacitos over nasty Tres Hermanas - Three Sisters passes on the Coastal Road to Coco's.
I also rode my KLR on the sandy West Side Highway from Punta Eugenia to Scorpion Bay in Baja Norte para Baja Sur ese.

I bought my KLR used from AZ Beemer Perry Johnson, who had ridden my KLR to Alaska and the Yukon before I started pointing her nose to Mexico. Perry had already installed the Doohickey and a Corbin saddle plus CorTech soft luggage bags.
Thanks Don,

Between my mud adventure, old dreams of the airhead GS800, seeing the dirtbikes fly at the national races last week, and all the logging roads, and places around here the FJR shouldn't go, I got the itch.

Trips to Baja or Alaska may have to wait until I get some skills, but nice to know I might be adding some things to my bucket list. Even have a buddy living in Mexico who used to live in Eugene that I promised to visit.

Steep learning curve. I'll check your link out. I assume most would swap out the doohickey, even on an '09? Hard to get answers at 3,4,5 am and I want it now! LOL

Thanks for the post and encouraging dreams. Sounds like a bike you can live a long time with. Those are the kinds I like. I also was hoping to learn more about wrenching, and a thumper without too much plastic sounds like a less intimidating opportunity to do that than the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
BUY IT!!!!!!

I have a 2009 FJR and a 2004 KLR. It is the best of both worlds. The KLR is a great play bike. You can cruise 70mph on the slab (not for long distances, but up to 100 miles is ok). Then you can turn off and run a gravel road or even trails. It is a heavy bike (400 lbs) for off road and the stock suspension is a little to soft for serious off road, but it is still a blast. I rode a lot of dirt bikes in my life and always wanted to see what they could do on the road. Whenever I ride my KLR on the road I feel like I'm doing something I shouldn't do. It is so completely different then the FJR that it is a great compliment. Yes, get the doo hickey (cam chain tensioner) replaced. The best one out there is the one made by Eagle Mike. If you want to read more check out this forum: https://klrworld.com/forums/index.php Some people have really modified their bikes for serious off-road. Just like the FJR, the KLR has a great following.

That sounds like a good price and the dealer seems to know his stuff. There are a lot of used bikes out there at very reasonable prices, but as you said new = good financing. In closing, I would like to say: Buy it, you won't be disapointed.

BUY IT!!!!!!
I have a 2009 FJR and a 2004 KLR. It is the best of both worlds. The KLR is a great play bike. You can cruise 70mph on the slab (not for long distances, but up to 100 miles is ok). Then you can turn off and run a gravel road or even trails. It is a heavy bike (400 lbs) for off road and the stock suspension is a little to soft for serious off road, but it is still a blast. I rode a lot of dirt bikes in my life and always wanted to see what they could do on the road. Whenever I ride my KLR on the road I feel like I'm doing something I shouldn't do. It is so completely different then the FJR that it is a great compliment. Yes, get the doo hickey (cam chain tensioner) replaced. The best one out there is the one made by Eagle Mike. If you want to read more check out this forum: https://klrworld.com/forums/index.php Some people have really modified their bikes for serious off-road. Just like the FJR, the KLR has a great following.

That sounds like a good price and the dealer seems to know his stuff. There are a lot of used bikes out there at very reasonable prices, but as you said new = good financing. In closing, I would like to say: Buy it, you won't be disapointed.
:D Are you sure? Eagle Mikes mentions two spring types. One a straight replacement for stock but shorter and stouter. The other involves drilling a hol but the spring can be adjusted over time. Any consensus on the kit to get?

Next I have to look at crash bars. And yeah, I don't see myself turning this bike down if the numbers work at all. I'll give up a few pizzas, lose weight and be faster on the FEEJ -- and more nimble on the KLR. I can't believe how many websites and the following this bike has.

Eagle Mike: Go with the torsion spring. The original design spring is a bad set up. The torsion spring is way better. In his kit he includes great directions and even includes the drill bit that you will need. I was a little scared to do the replacement myself, so I bought the kit and had my local mechanic do the work. He had never done one before and he was very impressed with the quality of the parts and the directions. Just to let you know, my bike was 4 years old when I replaced it and only had 4,000 miles on it. The spring was broken in half. Depending on where you live, there are a lot of guys on the KLR World web site that would do the job for you at no charge. They are a great bunch of guys and are always willing to help out. It would also be a good way to meet up with other KLR riders in your area. Dual sports riders have way more fun when riding with other dual sport riders. You won't bve able to keep up with an FJR, so if you ride with them either you will be way over your head, or they will be bored. If you ride with dirt bikes, you might be over your head (unless you change the suspension).

https://www.eagle-m-e.com/ Perry and I are riding to Pine, AZ for breakfast this morning; so I called him and asked what make of Doohickey he had installed in "our", now RJ's, KLR. Was definitely the Eagle Mike torsion spring kit with drill bit.

This three-owner KLR, a veteran of three Copper Canyon trips - one Baja Norte Coastal Road run - one Baja Sur Scorpion Bay run - plus an original trip to Alaska and the Yukon was first Arizona registered in September of 2005. This sturdy beast of burden now has 48,000 miles on her and is still running strong! She's definitely battle scarred, all 3 riders have dropped her or been thrown from her: Tackling roads that should have been ridden on 300 pound dirt bikes. Que lastima, hombre!!!

Buy the sonofabitch Shiney! If you find it not to be a groovy relationship, you can certainly sell

it for most of what you paid. And while you're screwing around figuring it out, I'll be scoring

dam after dam until there's no hope for you. :lol:

Best dual sport for the money out there, Buy it now! Since I can't buy a new bike, I'd like someone to feel that new bike feel! I have an 89 Honda Transalp that I thrash about the woods, I love it. :yahoo:

Used to have an '05 and I spent about $750 on progressive springs, windshield, and etc. Still had an under powered bike. I found out that there was no way to get more than a couple of extra HP out of it. The bike is OK but I was wanting more after a year. If Kawasaki would put their Versys 650 twin in the KLR, they would have a much better ride, IMO. Lots of good farkles to be had though and it is fun to get off on the local logging roads.

Bill

I'll need gear (Do they make humongous gear for off-road/dual sport riding?). What do I need right away versus down the road it-would-be-nice gear?
Good, sturdy, (moto-x) boots.

I have never ridden off-road in my life Any and all thoughts and suggestions welcome. Including advice not to buy it.

Thanks in advance.
As dual-sport bikes go, the KilLeR is a big'un -- there are bigger, but the Europeans call them 'Giant Trailies'. For learning and enjoying off-road riding, maybe?, something smaller might be considered....? :unsure:

The new KLR has more in common with the FJR than it has with dirt-bikes (imo) -- it makes a great on-road touring bike.

There is a great KLR community -- and, they've certainly been around a looong time.... :eek: :huh:

The stock engine balancer chain tensioner is, reportedly, ok -- if adjusted frequently (if not, it often fails). Do-Hickey replacement is quite common.

Good luck with your decision (you might want to consider a lighter/smaller d-s?).

You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty, I love the KLR I bought from FJRay.

Highways: It'll do it but it's not "happy". 70 mph indicated is 65 mph and will get me TO the dirt roads. I'm much to accustomed tot he FJRs ability to "fly" on the interstate.

Back roads/Fire roads: IMO, this is where the KLR shines.

a.) It's a real hoot to ride mine on the very rough, potholed & patched Sierra foothill secondary roads where 25-40 mph is enough to enjoy the scenery and the joy of two wheels. I still have fond and vivid memories of a trip Andrew (OrangevaleFJR) and I took to Murphy's/Angels Camp.

b.) I like fire roads. I'm waaaaay out of shape and faaaar too old to be playing "trail rider". You could upgrade the suspension and change the tires but the KLR is to "porky" for serious day-long forest trail riding.

Yes, there are those who have the skills to do so but I'm not one of those and not likely to invest the time and money to acquire the needed craft. I just enjoy what I can do.

Adventure Touring: Add the farkles including some side cases and head out. I have a Givi top case for my FJR so I bought a universal Givi mount for the KLR and use the top case when commuting or on day rides. It'll hold the necessary "layers" and gloves plus extra water and snacks/lunch.

Mine (Ray's) has a larger windshield that I appreciate on the highway.

Buy the sonofabitch Shiney! If you find it not to be a groovy relationship, you can certainly sell it for most of what you paid. And while you're screwing around figuring it out, I'll be scoring

dam after dam until there's no hope for you. :lol:

Dam you! I'll get you next year ya retired, lazy, grumble, grumble :D

I bought a red one a few minutes ago. :clapping: