2009 KLR650 on the showroom floor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll need gear (Do they make humongous gear for off-road/dual sport riding?). What do I need right away versus down the road it-would-be-nice gear?
Good, sturdy, (moto-x) boots.

I have never ridden off-road in my life Any and all thoughts and suggestions welcome. Including advice not to buy it.

Thanks in advance.
As dual-sport bikes go, the KilLeR is a big'un -- there are bigger, but the Europeans call them 'Giant Trailies'. For learning and enjoying off-road riding, maybe?, something smaller might be considered....? :unsure:

The new KLR has more in common with the FJR than it has with dirt-bikes (imo) -- it makes a great on-road touring bike.

There is a great KLR community -- and, they've certainly been around a looong time.... :eek: :huh:

The stock engine balancer chain tensioner is, reportedly, ok -- if adjusted frequently (if not, it often fails). Do-Hickey replacement is quite common.

Good luck with your decision (you might want to consider a lighter/smaller d-s?).

You're welcome.

I did consider it, and thank you. But decided my 300+ pounds were going to looking even bigger on something smaller. Besides, if I can pick the FJR up out of the mud, I figure I can pick up 400 pounds. Also, I'm planning on doing logging roads more than the Moab, so good enough for now I'm thinking. But if i like the trail riding part a lot I can always get another one :eek:

Wonder if they make those boots in 13 EEE?

Buy the sonofabitch Shiney! If you find it not to be a groovy relationship, you can certainly sell it for most of what you paid. And while you're screwing around figuring it out, I'll be scoring

dam after dam until there's no hope for you. :lol:

Dam you! I'll get you next year ya retired, lazy, grumble, grumble :D

I bought a red one a few minutes ago. :clapping:
Oh Boy, Old Michael! I smell a Baja off road trip coming up with Shiney. Mick, do you want to drive my Jeep Liberty Diesel SUV as the support vehicle and trade off with me riding my 2009 BMW F650GS? Remember guys, what happens in Baja, stays in Baja! Let's invite RenoJohn along on a MEX fiasco: RJ's usually just a step ahead of Federales anyway! Mas Fiesta!

I have nothing against buying a KLR. I don't happen to like the earlier ones much but never rode the latest incarnation and I understand it's a better bike.

My reservation would be in financing what amounts to a toy, and even worse a brand new one. If you want to dabble in off-road it might be wiser to pick up an older one and pay cash (if you can). That way, if you decide it's "not for you" you can flip it (assuming you buy wisely) and not suffer the big financial letdown of depreciation.

I have nothing against buying a KLR. I don't happen to like the earlier ones much but never rode the latest incarnation and I understand it's a better bike.
My reservation would be in financing what amounts to a toy, and even worse a brand new one. If you want to dabble in off-road it might be wiser to pick up an older one and pay cash (if you can). That way, if you decide it's "not for you" you can flip it (assuming you buy wisely) and not suffer the big financial letdown of depreciation.

Fred W is right on target. Wise not to buy a new dual sport when you've never dual sport rode before. You're gonna drop it a lot unless you

pussyfoot around...and that's no fun. Go to CraigsList and find a used, fairly new, lower mileage bike near you. One that is well maintained but

shows a few scratches. Pay half price of new...hope for a few farkles and upgrade to come with it. You'll pay cash...save financing charges...

leave with money in your pocket and no notes to pay. Use the spare coin to buy your riding gear...and upgrades to the bike. That's what I did

with a Honda XR650L...and it was one of the best decisions I've made!

Take it out and enjoy it...drop it...scratch it riding through bushes...treat it well but ride it hard. You'll come out ahead this way. And if you

don't like it...sell it and be out very little.

Since he HAS bought the KLR, any more discussion about it is moot.

It sounds to me like Shiney just wants to dabble in roads he wouldn't want his FJR on. IOW, just like my situation. Some of us are older :rolleyes: and more feeble fragile :unsure: so dirt road riding works for us. We leave the crashing and breaking to you younger and foolhardy more daring souls. ;)

Since he HAS bought the KLR, any more discussion about it is moot.
It sounds to me like Shiney just wants to dabble in roads he wouldn't want his FJR on. IOW, just like my situation. Some of us are older :rolleyes: and more feeble fragile :unsure: so dirt road riding works for us. We leave the crashing and breaking to you younger and foolhardy more daring souls. ;)
Just so Mike. If I waited until I found money to buy a used one (those with wives, fixer-upper homes, teen daughter, teen son and ex-wife to support like me will understand) I would never own one. And $70 a month is no more than the two pairs of shorts I bought for my daughter today... I am rationalizing by cutting back on a few things I would have bought; I can live with last years' shorts for another summer ;) -- And the two raises I've gotten in 8 months don't hurt.

As for hurting, you are spot on Mike, I conceive of the KLR as a fun (quirky back, knees) gentleman's ride on fire/logging roads kinda bike. I think it will take me at least a month to be ready for the Baja 1000 :p ;)

My wife told me to buy it because I hadn't spent any serious money on me since I bought the GP suspension two years ago. Who am I to argue?

P.S. I made the mistake of taking the wife to the dealership to show her the showfloor model (the salesman said he's holding off until July 1 because he can get me another point off on the financing after June).

Figures -- she like the blue or black better than the red..... I asked her which would get me laid, and she gave me "the look"; maybe I'll start a poll. My mechanic just said to make sure HE knows which color to prep, LOL

Buy the sonofabitch Shiney! If you find it not to be a groovy relationship, you can certainly sell it for most of what you paid. And while you're screwing around figuring it out, I'll be scoring

dam after dam until there's no hope for you. :lol:

Dam you! I'll get you next year ya retired, lazy, grumble, grumble :D

I bought a red one a few minutes ago. :clapping:
Oh Boy, Old Michael! I smell a Baja off road trip coming up with Shiney. Mick, do you want to drive my Jeep Liberty Diesel SUV as the support vehicle and trade off with me riding my 2009 BMW F650GS? Remember guys, what happens in Baja, stays in Baja! Let's invite RenoJohn along on a MEX fiasco: RJ's usually just a step ahead of Federales anyway! Mas Fiesta!
funny Don! We both know if I'm going to do Baja, I might as well just run the 1000 and show you all up. LOL

I can't Imagine a tougher ride.... You are joking, right?

EDIT: Came in from coast ride to get the cobwebs off me and the FJR after my mud bath getoff a while back. Just getting to some of the sites recommended: to all of you, thanks for spending next year's tax return for me LOL. And that doesn't count the paint job for the FEEJ... Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 02 and an 08 KLR. They are my daily rides and the big bikes sit waiting for longer trips. I was just up to the CFR in Nakusp on my R1200 GS Adventure with Petey and I am thinking about going back in August to that area from Kansas City on my 08 KLR. With the big bikes you are always blowing through areas and if you aren't going fast they lose some of their appeal. Petey has both an FJR and KLR and next year he said he would like to go on a long trip on the KLR's just to slow the pace down and see some of the world vs just watching the pavement in front of you and going fast.

It would not be a perfect world but if there were only one bike allowed in my garage it would be a KLR and I am over 60. Rode my KLR from Rapid City, SD home in one day, about 700 miles with no complaints and could easily have knocked off a 1,000 miles in one day on it.

As far as upgrades, suspension of course and do look at an aftermarket seat. I have the Corbin Flat Seat and I am good for all day but I do ride frequently. Also, I don't know your height but you might need to lower it if you are shorter.

Chester

Shiney: Anytime you're interested in riding Baja, either Norte or all the way to Land's End at the tip of Sur, just let me know!

I'm now retired from Metro Mechanical, Inc. in Phoenix after serving as the Pipefitting Senior Project Manager for 22 years.

MadMike2's post yesterday at 8:51 AM hit the nail squarely on the head. Just because you are riding offroad, you don't have to ride like your hair is on fire; just enjoy the beautiful scenery that is out there in the wilderness of North America.

In private e-mails to Old Michael I have already presented to him the scenario that he comes to Phoenix and we depart for Baja from there. We would cross the border with OM driving my Jeep Liberty as the Support Vehicle. Once we are "In Country" OM can jump on my F650 GS Twin whenever the fancy strikes him and I will take over driving the diesel SUV.

We can carry extra fuel, extra tires, tools, spare drive chains and anything else we think we need; such as an electric air compressor. We can also lighten up the bikes by placing the panniers in the Jeep, just ride with tank bag and tail packs.

Baja California, Mexico is too hot for riding from May through September; anytime from October through April is perfect.

Here's the farkles mounted on my KLR when I sold it to RJ. You don't need all of this equipment, but crash protection is #1!

FS: 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650; set up perfectly for Alaska & Baja California.

Lots of Up Grades for “The Haul Road”! Corbin Seat, hand guards, aluminum skid plate, master cylinder guard, Renthal aluminum bars, IMS shifter and deluxe foot pegs, tool tube, rear and side luggage racks, radiator guards, Doo-Hickey and sub frame bolt modifications done. Wolfman glove bag. New Kenda tires, with original Dunlop’s provided. Kawasaki tank bag, Cortech Saddle Bags, Cortech Top Bag, original & largest Cee-Bailey’s windshield. Service/maintenance work performed by www.azmotoman.com Also includes a set of Aerostich large tank panniers that will fit a GS too.

$4,000 and I will deliver it for free in the following area arc from Phoenix: San Francisco-Reno-Salt Lake City-Denver-Amarillo-Lubbock, Texas.

I’ll ride it to your driveway, you hand me the cash and take me to the airport.

CONTACT: Don Stanley, BeemerDonS. Only reason I am selling this nice Kawasaki is because I will be buying a new 2009 BMW F650GS Twin!!! Phone numbers: H: 480-917-3863; [email protected] , can be reached anytime day or night.

I have an 02 and an 08 KLR. They are my daily rides and the big bikes sit waiting for longer trips. I was just up to the CFR in Nakusp on my R1200 GS Adventure with Petey and I am thinking about going back in August to that area from Kansas City on my 08 KLR. With the big bikes you are always blowing through areas and if you aren't going fast they lose some of their appeal. Petey has both an FJR and KLR and next year he said he would like to go on a long trip on the KLR's just to slow the pace down and see some of the world vs just watching the pavement in front of you and going fast.
It would not be a perfect world but if there were only one bike allowed in my garage it would be a KLR and I am over 60. Rode my KLR from Rapid City, SD home in one day, about 700 miles with no complaints and could easily have knocked off a 1,000 miles in one day on it.

As far as upgrades, suspension of course and do look at an aftermarket seat. I have the Corbin Flat Seat and I am good for all day but I do ride frequently. Also, I don't know your height but you might need to lower it if you are shorter.

Chester

Good perspective, thanks. It looks like a good compliment to the FJR. I'm 6'2" but I think suspension work after crash protection is a way to go. Wonder if GP Suspension works on these thing? Hmmm....

Shiney: Anytime you're interested in riding Baja, either Norte or all the way to Land's End at the tip of Sur, just let me know!
I'm now retired from Metro Mechanical, Inc. in Phoenix after serving as the Pipefitting Senior Project Manager for 22 years.

MadMike2's post yesterday at 8:51 AM hit the nail squarely on the head. Just because you are riding offroad, you don't have to ride like your hair is on fire; just enjoy the beautiful scenery that is out there in the wilderness of North America.

In private e-mails to Old Michael I have already presented to him the scenario that he comes to Phoenix and we depart for Baja from there. We would cross the border with OM driving my Jeep Liberty as the Support Vehicle. Once we are "In Country" OM can jump on my F650 GS Twin whenever the fancy strikes him and I will take over driving the diesel SUV.

We can carry extra fuel, extra tires, tools, spare drive chains and anything else we think we need; such as an electric air compressor. We can also lighten up the bikes by placing the panniers in the Jeep, just ride with tank bag and tail packs.

Baja California, Mexico is too hot for riding from May through September; anytime from October through April is perfect.

Here's the farkles mounted on my KLR when I sold it to RJ. You don't need all of this equipment, but crash protection is #1!

FS: 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650; set up perfectly for Alaska & Baja California.

Lots of Up Grades for “The Haul Road”! Corbin Seat, hand guards, aluminum skid plate, master cylinder guard, Renthal aluminum bars, IMS shifter and deluxe foot pegs, tool tube, rear and side luggage racks, radiator guards, Doo-Hickey and sub frame bolt modifications done. Wolfman glove bag. New Kenda tires, with original Dunlop’s provided. Kawasaki tank bag, Cortech Saddle Bags, Cortech Top Bag, original & largest Cee-Bailey’s windshield. Service/maintenance work performed by www.azmotoman.com Also includes a set of Aerostich large tank panniers that will fit a GS too.

$4,000 and I will deliver it for free in the following area arc from Phoenix: San Francisco-Reno-Salt Lake City-Denver-Amarillo-Lubbock, Texas.

I’ll ride it to your driveway, you hand me the cash and take me to the airport.

CONTACT: Don Stanley, BeemerDonS. Only reason I am selling this nice Kawasaki is because I will be buying a new 2009 BMW F650GS Twin!!! Phone numbers: H: 480-917-3863; [email protected] , can be reached anytime day or night.

Don, this winter is likely not doable. But maybe the next after I get some experience, gear and plan some time off. Don't be surprised if I PM you and MM2. And I can drive an SUV if somebody wants to ride the KLR.

Thanks for your patience. I've been researching crash bars on KLR.world, advrider.com, etc. etc. I am looking for thicker, more robust protection. Does this look sturdy enough and a good buy to folks in the know?
nerf bars and skid plate
Most anything you get from Happy Trails, you will be happy with. They are a good outfit and have good customer service. Lots of guys on the KLR650.net site use that set up on their newer KLRs.

Rick

Thanks for your patience. I've been researching crash bars on KLR.world, advrider.com, etc. etc. I am looking for thicker, more robust protection. Does this look sturdy enough and a good buy to folks in the know?
nerf bars and skid plate
Most anything you get from Happy Trails, you will be happy with. They are a good outfit and have good customer service. Lots of guys on the KLR650.net site use that set up on their newer KLRs.

Rick
Thanks, the wife just bought it for me as a father's day/good guy/what the hell gift.... nice lady. The $70 off sale price and free shipping saved about $100 off the setup.

+1 on Happy Trails gear. Well made and nice folks to deal with. Made proudly in the USA.

Change your doo-hickey (I've yet to do mine) and farkle away. You really don't have to change much to make this a capable dual sport ride.

Here's my KLR. I love that thing! The fun factor and value just can't be beat.

533009739_M7vuw-L.jpg

485483565_bq3SQ-L.jpg

I SSSSSSSSssssssssssssssssssssoooooo wish I were taller
:(
They sell lowering links and saddles that cut the hight down by another 2 inches I hear. I'm just sayin'...

hecpilot: "Here's my KLR. I love that thing! The fun factor and value just can't be beat...." That is a sweet one. I see you chose the black KLR. I have a doohickey on order and will have it replaced as part of the dealer prep. Your passenger looks happy too. I'm looking forward to giving my kids rides too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barb, I do wish I had known you had an interest in dual sport bikes when Seth and I were with you in Nakusp for CFR 2009.

We were standing next to you at Cocktail Hour and I believe you can swing a leg over a 2009 BMW F650GS Twin Standard.

If not, Shiney is correct with lowering links and saddles that will reduce the KLR's height by 2". The BMW F650GS Twin can be ordered in a low version that automatically comes 2" lower, with an added Corbin flat saddle you gain another lower inch.

GSJane, SkooterG's girlfriend, regrets now that she did not go with the F650GS Low Version; just that much easier off road!

They sell lowering links and saddles that cut the hight down by another 2 inches I hear. I'm just sayin'...

hecpilot: "Here's my KLR. I love that thing! The fun factor and value just can't be beat...." That is a sweet one. I see you chose the black KLR. I have a doohickey on order and will have it replaced as part of the dealer prep. Your passenger looks happy too. I'm looking forward to giving my kids rides too.
Yep, you can lower a KLR quite a bit, and as you can see from the picture of us two-up, the suspension sags quite a bit when you climb on, so you lose at least two inches from just sitting on it.

My passenger is Yolanda, my son's mom. She really liked going for a ride on the KLR (her first ride), she said she loved it but thought that the seat vibrated a lot and it tickled her you-know-whats. :blushsmiley: (She was giggling like a school-girl when she told me). Either way, plenty of room for a passenger. See my ride report for more info about her and how she supported my 2 week voyage with a 2 month old son at home.

If you can swing it, go for it.

I love my dual sport and couldn't live without one.

I can’t live without the FJR either.

The hardest part of the day is which one to ride. :rolleyes:

My 2 cents.