2009 KLR650 on the showroom floor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The KLR is a pretty universal club. It doesn't do any one thing great but does most everything good. Its not a full on dirt bike by any means but will get you where you want to go and with care will last a hell of a long time. Read up on the Dohickey and change it out soon. I have owned one and worked on a bunch more and will own another one soon.
Thanks. I did dome google searches and found some videos. Swapping the tensioner and spring is advised on multiple sites for all up to the '08 models. Necessary on the '09's as well? Same design? Any websites that are the cat's ass for tech. info on the KLR?

Founds this aftermarket kit:

balance idle lever and spring kit
Lots of peeps love the KLR, but a lot of others really dig the Suzuki DR650. It can be farkled up pretty good to for a fun dual sport. Just a thought.

doctorj

The KLR is a pretty universal club. It doesn't do any one thing great but does most everything good. Its not a full on dirt bike by any means but will get you where you want to go and with care will last a hell of a long time. Read up on the Dohickey and change it out soon. I have owned one and worked on a bunch more and will own another one soon.
Thanks. I did dome google searches and found some videos. Swapping the tensioner and spring is advised on multiple sites for all up to the '08 models. Necessary on the '09's as well? Same design? Any websites that are the cat's ass for tech. info on the KLR?

Founds this aftermarket kit:

balance idle lever and spring kit
Lots of peeps love the KLR, but a lot of others really dig the Suzuki DR650. It can be farkled up pretty good to for a fun dual sport. Just a thought.

doctorj
The Suzuki dealership in town is brand new. And I know and trust the Kawi shop head mechanic. And the salesman has been in on my last two bike purchases when he was with the defunct Yamaha dealer. And Rob the salesman gives me no hassles and fair deals, so although the Suzuki is a good ride (I've owned two Suzuki's in the past so no brand bashing here) I went with the Kawisaki.

https://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_inf...roducts_id=6177 Shiney: All years of KLR's need the subframe bolts modified/replaced for serious offroad work. If you are a fellow member of "Los Robustos" like I am, you definitely need it.

Funny thing - this getting older than dirt is: I once had a body like a Greek God; now I have a body like a god damn greek!!!

The Suzuki dealership in town is brand new. And I know and trust the Kawi shop head mechanic.
Wait. You're planning on bringing your KLR to a shop mechanic? :unsure: Isn't that against the KLR ownership rules?

I mean, whatch'a gonna do when you're 130 kilicks in-country and the what's-a-frazit goes kerfluey? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the KLR. I happen to have the fastest and best performing 07 black and silver model.

How's your new bike treating you Shiny?

The Suzuki dealership in town is brand new. And I know and trust the Kawi shop head mechanic.
Wait. You're planning on bringing your KLR to a shop mechanic? :unsure: Isn't that against the KLR ownership rules?

I mean, whatch'a gonna do when you're 130 kilicks in-country and the what's-a-frazit goes kerfluey? :blink:
The short answer is I won't put myself in that position now, if ever. Like MM2 wrote, I may choose to never go more than a tow truck's distance into logging roads in the Umpqua national forest. Or I may go to Mexico with Beemerdon as guide with a chase vehicle. I will do what my body, spirit and mind say makes me happy.

I don't think you realized how spot-on your question was; how important that very concept is to me right now in my life. Part of the reason to buy the bike was to learn more about the internal combustion engine and how to righteously **** it up like many of the people I read about. This KLR is simpler, easier to work on and doesn't require tons of time just to remove plastic. It also costs less to have somebody fix my screw-ups when they happen. One of the requirements pf the deal I made with Rob (salesman) was to start simply: they will show me how to remove the wheels and change a tire -- wheel change first and tire change when I need one. In the interim I will watch videos for the basic skill sets, keep a SPOT with me and my towing insurance up to date.

Frankly the FJR has always intimidated me mechanically because I have no mechanical ability,experience, nor confidence or mentor (so to speak). I'll start with tires ASAP and go from there. I've already had a KLR owner who visits here and does all his own work contact me, we are talking about rides, tech day, etc. with the 5-6 guys he knows around the area.

I know intellectually it isn't rocket science, but when you have no background in things mechanical and all the little tricks others take for granted are unknown, it is a puzzle without the cypher key. So as I gain skills past oil changes or bolt-ons I'll not take the bike to the dealer for that maintenance item and when ready I'll go further afield. Or not. But the point to this bike is the journey; I want to see places from a perspective other than from asphalt ribbons, and I want to learn the basics as I can -- it is a personal zen project.

I saw my doctor last week. he and I shared some of the stressors of our professions (I am a nurse practitioner in a high stress environment), and he said the key to my feeling better, losing weight, dropping blood pressure, etc. was to stretch myself, take a chance, find something new and challenging to do that would provide a sense of accomplishment, growth and change. This made basic sense to me, and my dream/folly came to the fore quickly: I chose the journey of learning to ride off-road, and learning more about maintenance. Frankly, to build the sense of independence and confidence in these areas I lack, and envy in others.

Finally, I use the analogy of people who say they could never do what I do on a daily basis: assess whether someone is going to kill themselves and take the responsibility to act on the assessment: and live with the rare but inevitable bad outcomes. Or attempt to make positive biochemical changes to a patient's brain, and explain to them why it is something they should trust me to do. Some say they could never learn these skills and many are correct. They pay people to do it for them. But many could learn some of the skills if they applied themselves and wanted to. Guess I want to find more of my personal limits in a challenging arena.

Hell, my blood pressure may go down if nothing else. I'll just have to start the journey and find out. For those that do not like serious responses, I appologize and return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :p

Love the KLR. I happen to have the fastest and best performing 07 black and silver model.
How's your new bike treating you Shiny?
Long story short. I waited for July 1 and an anticipated decrease in interest rate Rob salesman) informed me of. Now I am leaving town for three days to see some NHRA drag races, jet cars at night, introduce my son and daughter to the magic of the phrase: "No replacement for displacement."

My bike is pristine in my mind, farkles are gathering in my garage (skid plate, rear brake cylinder guard, doohickey replacement, Nerf bars, magnetic oil drain bolt, etc. -- and now soon beefed up bolts for the subframe thanks to beemerdon -- I'm not sure how much my wife or wallet can take LOL)). I anticipate delivery Tuesday whereupon I will loctite everything I can and start makig her my own. Then wait until she gets some character when I fudge something up. :)

Thanks for asking. And your bike may be faster, but mine will be mine. ;)

Shiny,

Wow, I'm glad my smart assed comment elicited such an in-depth and enlightened response. I know exactly what you mean in all regards.

And yes, if you stick with it you will find relaxation and some level of zen like comfort in wrenching on you bike. At least I know that do.

There will be set-backs. Times that you make a screw-up and want to throw in the towel and go back to the shop tards.

Just always keep the above perspective on why you are "doing your own" and it's all good, even the screw-ups. ;)

Enjoy!

Didn't read this whole thread but from the KLR owners I have ridden with, BEEF UP THE SPRINGS IN THE FRONT FORKS. These things have a tendency to nose dive in soft dirt/sand conditions and have been known to bottom out with larger riders.

You should save your pennies and get the BMW. Thing gets rave reviews and doesn't need moding or upgrading so you won't brake stuff.

You pay one way or the other.

Shiney: You are certainly going about your new KLR acquisition in the right manner. Having Rob show you how to change out a wheel and tire is essential. Do you remember the SkooterG Ride Report last year on Grand Canyon? Between Skoot, Brian Boles - the thirty plus years BMW GS rider that was my partner in my Real de Catorce ride report and myself: We have a hundred years riding miles between the three of us. And when GSJane, Greg's girlfriend, got that flat on her Vulcan at Jacob Lake, Arizona: That freaking tire and tube change kicked our asses! Since BB and I are committed BMW riders (or maybe should be committed) we have been changing out tube tires since the seventies; and I still hate like hell fixing tubes!

Changing out either KLR wheel is a cake walk: Breaking down the bead offroad and installing a new tube is a pain in the ass.

Your new KLR friends will be glad to give you a lesson in tube changes: Buy a case of cold beer and get ready to cuss a lot!!!

https://www.progressivesuspension.com/prodS...amp;modelID=450 MojaveFJR does make a good point, but you've other more pressing farkles such as crash protection and tire changing kits to purchase first.

The only modification I did not do to my KLR was beef up the front fork springs and replace the rear shocks. If "Mi Mexico Mule II" was still in my garage I would have done this mod by now. I'm 6'-1" and weigh 265 lbs. and this mod was needed.

You've made the right choice with your KLR for gaining offroad experience. I own a BMW R1100GS: But having a heart attack 4 years and now being sixty and being a fat **** I much prefer a lighter KLR or BMW 2009 F650GS for dirt and sand.

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=1900.0 Shiney, Any time you want to go offroading in Baja with your new KLR, just say the word: I'll ride to Mexico at the drop of a sombrero! Here is food for thought: Moab Canyonlands Utah.

Here's latest off road adventure from my buddy Brian Boles of AZ Beemers: Please note he rode this really rough dirt solo!

Fred: it' all good! I don't know why I wrote that post. Except that this is more than a new bike for me.

Mojave: I did consider a bavarian motor wonder. The new GS8 makes my balls tingle. But in the end access to help in wrenching, up front costs outside my wallet range and the look my wife gave me when I told her the price made me wince.

Don: I have been up until the wee hours almost every night researching the KLR "issues" and "opportunities" for a week and you come up with more to learn and solutions so fast I can't keep up :) You just may be amazed next year when I toodle down that way. Now where did I put my passport?.....

Now I have to get some kids moving or the racing will be over before I can say suspension upgrade.

A quick note about off road riding and daily stress. It's hard to worry about the daily stress in your life, when you are concentrating everything you have on just staying alive. By the end of the ride, you're tired, but can't remember what was bugging you before. Off road riding: Cheaper then a therapist.

I saw my doctor last week. he and I shared some of the stressors of our professions (I am a nurse practitioner in a high stress environment), and he said the key to my feeling better, losing weight, dropping blood pressure, etc. was to stretch myself, take a chance, find something new and challenging to do that would provide a sense of accomplishment, growth and change. This made basic sense to me, and my dream/folly came to the fore quickly: I chose the journey of learning to ride off-road, and learning more about maintenance. Frankly, to build the sense of independence and confidence in these areas I lack, and envy in others.
Incredibly well said, Shiny! You'll be amazed at how much you'll learn, and grow, in a short time period. Something about doing what you LIKE to do and WANT to do!

My bike is pristine in my mind, farkles are gathering in my garage (skid plate, rear brake cylinder guard, doohickey replacement, Nerf bars, magnetic oil drain bolt, etc. -- and now soon beefed up bolts for the subframe thanks to beemerdon -- I'm not sure how much my wife or wallet can take LOL)). I anticipate delivery Tuesday whereupon I will loctite everything I can and start makig her my own. Then wait until she gets some character when I fudge something up. :)
Thanks for asking. And your bike may be faster, but mine will be mine. ;)
Yes, soon you will be "makig" it your own :blink: ?

I'm green (with envy), and wish I had one! :dribble: