2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Revealed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wowser Fred W and Sock Monkey! Do I get one of these hotties if I buy a Ducati? Just thirty minutes with one of these beauties, seven ounces of Bushmill's and Jumping Jack Flash on the stereo would kill off this old man; but certainly it would be well worth it. It would take the coroner a week to cold chisel the smile off Papa Chuy's mug! Better take my heart meds!
Unfortunately for you, beemerdons, you're going to have to take the one that comes with the ST2...

Ducati_St2_001.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gee Sockmonkey, THAT's "unfortunate?" I gotta see when YOU get lucky. Or maybe not...

Just sayin'

https://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/19...TI-ST2-96027606 Checkswrecks: What model year was your Ducati ST2? How many miles overall did you put on your Duc? And you had no major repairs or replacement required during ownership?
My Mom and Sisters live in Orange, California and my Son Seth and I are visiting them at Thanksgiving. Now that I'm 61, I have made a "Bucket List" of items I want to do before they bury me in a pine box. I am riding all the way through Copper Canyon to the Sea of Cortez with ShinyPartsUp, Tucson Joe and Chris_D next November: So that one is crossed off of the list.

Owning a Ducati has been on my list since my early 20's, but as I previously stated: I've been scared off by reliability issues.

Your comments about ST2 got me thinking; I'm looking at this Ducati on 11/27/09; anything in particular I should be checking?

Any Duc Buyer Guides/Manuals I should be looking to buy? If I become Ducatisti, do I have to wear thong undies like Niehart?
It was a 1999 and I put about 25k on it. Seriously reliable. Like all Ducks, it had it's quirks. You have to get used to listen to the clinking of the dry clutch, there's not a lot of extra amps for lights and jackets and such, but it was a really good bike. The biggest pain was that it was probably 1.5 hours to get the fairings on and off. Doing 2-valve checks is easy, 4 valves I watched done once and my fingers are too fat. Plenty of Duck forums and tech help on the web, just depends on the model. Back then the ST forum was on a Yahoo list.

I preferred the ST2 to about 70 mph in tight twisty roads over another guy's ST4s, but above about 60 and he'd leave me. For where you are, you may not find enough oomph in the 2-valve.

The girls come in the glovebox, you just have to blow them up.

I preferred the ST2 to about 70 mph in tight twisty roads over another guy's ST4s, but above about 60 and he'd leave me. For where you are, you may not find enough oomph in the 2-valve.
Thanks, I've often felt that approaching sport-touring from the sport end is preferred...

What's your take on the ST3?

Like Goldilocks and the 3 bears -- "just right"? :unsure:

Thanks, I've often felt that approaching sport-touring from the sport end is preferred...

Never rode a "3" but the guys who have them seem to have that Goldilocks attitude. This was my "2":

ST2Frontleft.jpg

US pricing for the 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 has been announced: MTS 1200 Pricing

The touring model has really piqued my interest. That said, I suppose my immediate reaction to the pricing is this: I'm not spending twenty-fucking-thousand dollars on a bike... :glare:

Seems like the stripper would be the model of choice if you really intend on dual sporting the thing. You won't want ABS in the dirt and the touring luggage probably won't withstand the abuse of off roading very well.

Multistrada is kind of a funny name: Multistreet.

Maybe it's not really intended to be used as an off road adventure bike?

Or maybe they include all dirt roads in the "Street" category?

Plus that is just msrp. Where the S = suggested, and always subject to healthy discounting.

It would probably be a big mistake for a manufacturer to come out with too low of an msrp on a new model.

Buyers would still want a big discount. ;)

The touring model has really piqued my interest. That said, I suppose my immediate reaction to the pricing is this: I'm not spending twenty-fucking-thousand dollars on a bike... :glare:
Time is our friend. In 5 or 6 years, we'll be able to pick up one of those sweet Ohlins-suspended S Touring models for dimes on the dollar. Can't wait!

Paul Peloquin

Monmouth OR

Never rode a "3" but the guys who have them seem to have that Goldilocks attitude. This was my "2":

ST2Frontleft.jpg
Wowser Checkswrecks, what a gorgeous machine! Ducatis are truly Gina Lollobrigida's and Sophia Loren's of the M/C world!

Well, I am glad that it is priced so high. This way I am not tempted to start looking for that elusive 'Ducati dealer' somewhere out in the distance.

Seems like the stripper would be the model of choice if you really intend on dual sporting the thing. You won't want ABS in the dirt and the touring luggage probably won't withstand the abuse of off roading very well.
If I was leaning more heavily in the DS direction, I think there a bikes that are far better bang-for-the-buck than the base model MTS 1200. At the same price point (less, actually), I can get a fully-loaded BMW F800GS. (And, if I was really smart I'd run - not walk, over to the Portland-are dealer that's selling '09 KLR650s for $5,000 OTD.)

Plus that is just msrp. Where the S = suggested, and always subject to healthy discounting. It would probably be a big mistake for a manufacturer to come out with too low of an msrp on a new model.

Buyers would still want a big discount. ;)
I've actually been interested in the Duc MTS for a while. I love the way the '07-'09 1100 sits; I'm 6'2 with a 36" inseam and 35+" sleeve (monkey appendages, I know..), and I sit the bike with a nice, relaxed leg angle, and very comfortable reach to the bars. A couple of cheap, easy mods and it's the bike. To this end, I've spent time in both of Oregon's Duc dealers (MotoCorsa in Portland, and Bend Euro Moto) and I've come to the conclusion that they're real proud of those bikes (well, Ducs in general). MSRP is the number + set up and freight. They don't deal. Bend Euro Moto has a black '08 MTS 1100S (Ohlins equipped) sitting on their floor that they're still asking full MSRP ($14,495) for. I was there just last month, offered $12,500 and the guy I was talking to just laughed and walked off to go help another customer. (And 30 days later, I note that the bike is still there... You could have sold it, bitches...)

Time is our friend. In 5 or 6 years, we'll be able to pick up one of those sweet Ohlins-suspended S Touring models for dimes on the dollar. Can't wait!

Paul Peloquin

Monmouth OR

Indeed. Like many used Ducs I see, they'll be hitting the dealers' used inventories with very low miles and lots of tasty farkles already bolted on; all the nice carbon fiber bits and Termi exhausts. It must be nice to have more money than one knows what to do with (though I'd enjoy the opportunity to find out..!). :lol:

(And, if I was really smart I'd run - not walk, over to the Portland-are dealer that's selling '09 KLR650s for $5,000 OTD.)
Yeah, I'd like to ride one of the new gen KLRs and see how improved they are. I owned a 1st gen (2005) for a while, took it in partial trade for my 2001 Concours, but I quickly sold it off as it wasn't what I wanted at the time. If the new gen KLR has just slightly better manners on the road than the old ones, I could see having one of those in the garage.

This Multistrada would have to replace one of my street bikes, and I'm kind of fond of all three of them. Maybe in that magic couple of years I find a nice low mileage used one like you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmm, did some say Ducati? Still have a little wood from the IMS.
Guess, truth be known, I still like my S4RS better then anything I saw there but ....
[SIZE=8pt]streetfighter, multistrada, hypermotard, 1198s[/SIZE]

yum!