2010 sidebags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_123

Reaction score
has anyone else noticed the colour of the sidebags is a bit off on the 2010 fjr

i bought my bike from the local dealer that doesnt normally stock the fjr so i never got to see it prior to purchase.the bike came in without the bags a few weeks ago and just yesterday i picked up the bags

just wondering if i should make a stink about this or if its normal

the 2010 is liquid silver

has almost a metal flake pearl in the paint the bags are just regular silver

quite a noticable difference

just snapped a few pics

hard to tell in a picture but up close and personal you can see the difference

fjr008.jpg

fjr009.jpg

fjr010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

First of all the bike should have came with the bags. Almost unherd of that I know of. That being said I bet the dealer ordered the wrong ones. Yes I would definetly bring it up. You might want to check part #'s if that's possible with any paper work that you have.

Dave

Welcome to the forum. :)

Mike,
First of all the bike should have came with the bags. Almost unherd of that I know of. That being said I bet the dealer ordered the wrong ones. Yes I would definetly bring it up. You might want to check part #'s if that's possible with any paper work that you have.

Dave

Welcome to the forum. :)
from what my dealer told me the bags were not with the bike when he picked it up at the warehouse witch they did not realize untill getting the bike back to the dealer and uncrating it

so a quick phone call to the warehouse witch he was told the bags needed to be ordered as they come packaged seperatly

the dealer i use is a pretty straight shooter and i trust he didnt do anything deliberatly

when he ordered the bags he had to give yamaha the serial number of my bike to ensure he got the right bags

i would have thought the bags would match in colour at least so i was hoping to hear from other 2010 owners to see if their bags are a touch off in colour aswell

ill try to snap a few pics later

i bought my bike from the local dealer that doesnt normally stock the fjr so i never got to see it prior to purchase.the bike came in without the bags a few weeks ago and just yesterday i picked up the bags
If the side cases didn't come with the bike...then that's an issue. They come with the bike. Hhe probably ordered the wrong ones....maybe 2003, 2004, or an AE.

The come with the bike, but are shipped separately. Often dealers get the bags weeks after the bike comes in - I know that's what happened with my bike.

Check the part number for what you got and make certain the color code is for the 2010 . . .

Also - loctite the screws for the bag locks.

The come with the bike, but are shipped separately. Often dealers get the bags weeks after the bike comes in - I know that's what happened with my bike.
Check the part number for what you got and make certain the color code is for the 2010 . . .

Also - loctite the screws for the bag locks.

yup did the locktite on the locks after reading about it here on the newbie thread

you can deffinatly see the difference in colour on my last picture so ive emailed it to the dealer and just spoke with him about it

i didnt want to make a big stink over it if its just the way it is but i think this colour clash is a bit to obdvious

Your last pic shows the difference pretty well. I'd say the bag matches my '03 Liquid Silver, and the tank doesn't. Haven't seen a '10 bike in person, yet, so I can't say if the mismatch is for real, or if you got shafted.

Your last pic shows the difference pretty well. I'd say the bag matches my '03 Liquid Silver, and the tank doesn't. Haven't seen a '10 bike in person, yet, so I can't say if the mismatch is for real, or if you got shafted.
haha

i think i got shafted somewhat

i checked out the fjr on the yamaha website

went to accesories and they dont list the 2010 colour for the sidebags

so im thinking yamaha hasnt made any sidebags in the 2010 colour yet and they are gettin rid of old stock sidebags in the silver

come to think of it when i was shopping for the bike i went to several different dealers and none of them had an fjr on the floor with the sidebags on it

they said they take them off and keep them in the back so as not to get scratched from people throwing a leg over

yet all the 09s had the bags on them

i think im on to something

none the less i hope someone other then myself pays the bill to have them painted to match the bike

its a mater of principle now i think and the more i think about this the more it will stew up inside me

i hate gettin the shaft

They don't look right to me either. Maybe if you agree to keep the mismatched bags they can throw in a trunk in the same color as the bags. Just a thought.

There is this thread from FantasticJohnR Click Me about his 2010 purchase. Since he is the only other guy I have seen with one, maybe you can PM him about the color of his bags. I noticed in his post picture the bike is bagless, but the bags are on in his avatar.

Your bags should match your bike, and should have been with it when it was purchased. If they do not match, the dealer needs to make it right.

Edit: Just clicked his fliker link HERE and scrolled through the pictures. His bags seem to match his bike.

Yes, my bags seem to match the bike color perfectly and look awesome- they definitely are NOT the 2003 or 2005 silver color- so I don' think the theory that they don't make bags for the 2010 yet is correct.

I found when photographing the liquid silver color that depending on the exposure and if taken in bright light or overcast is has a whitish silver to brownish silver color (you can see that easily on sets of pictures I took on my flickr site)- actually these two colors like the difference you are seeing on your bags in the last picture.

Also, I now have the V46 Givi top bag that I ordered in the gloss silver color and it also matches so closely that you would think it is the stock color.

Don't have a picture of that on the Flickr site- but will take a picture later and upload it for you.

BTW: the 2010 is fantastic- no problems yet (knocking on wood) and definitely seems to feel smoother than my 06 (gone is that clunk into 1st)- though never had any complaints with it either.

The 03 Silver does not have any metal flake in the paint. The 2010 silver is very close to the silver band around the tank and rear of the 07 & 08 bikes. However I saw a 2010 at the Cycle World show in Greenville, SC and it had much more metal flake in the paint than the 2010 bike at Daytona. Does the key fit the bags and ignition?

The 03 Silver does not have any metal flake in the paint. The 2010 silver is very close to the silver band around the tank and rear of the 07 & 08 bikes. However I saw a 2010 at the Cycle World show in Greenville, SC and it had much more metal flake in the paint than the 2010 bike at Daytona. Does the key fit the bags and ignition?
yup the keys fit

the 3 locks came under the seat of the bike

my dealer is waiting to here from yamaha canada as to what they are goign to do

he is sure they will replace the bags and the wrong ones were maybe shipped to him

im sure it wont be an issue this dealer has always been good to me

When I got my 06 (new) the bags came a few weeks later too. This is normal if you order the bike in Canada at least I believe.

Now for the colour. My bags don't match my Cobalt Blue perfectly. The metal flake is much less evident. Maybe not as noticable as yours but can be seen quite easily. Hey Garauld might be able to comment. He paints lots of FJR parts. He painted one of my bags and it matches the other one well, but not the bike perfectly. I'm good with it though.

that's pretty conclusive, right there. Definitely not a match.

I'm with wfooshee - the bag looks like the silver on my '03. So the '10 isn't the same liquid silver for sure.

Dare I say it...... the '03s are still the fastest color!

Your last pic shows the difference pretty well. I'd say the bag matches my '03 Liquid Silver, and the tank doesn't.
This was my immediate thought of the close-up pic. Your dealer accidentaly ordered '03 bags. Having seen the '10 FJR parked on a showroom floor literally 20' from the spot where I parked my 03 I made a special note of the slight color difference.

I love the color of my 03, but I have to admit that the '10 is somehow a 'nicer' color. Plus it has silver wheels.