2011 Gen 3 FJR 1300 mentioned in Cycleworld

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can tell Yamaha has worked themself into a corner with the Gen2 FJR. Now that all the bugs and complaints are fixed, now how to make a flawless bike better. If the new bike has the before mentioned heated grips and seat and maybe a power outlet, that would set the bar for all outher Jap brands.

+ 1

Here's what I'm getting from all the banter...

Yamaha is probably having a hard time beating what is already the best sport tour out there.

I'm sure there could certainly be some great upgraded options for sure.

Very hard for me to want to upgrade from my Gen1, and not certain I could upgrade until all the bugs were worked out.

well if thats the picture, I'll just cut out the middleman, buy the Triumph it is modelled after and leave the other $5k in my bank account.

*yawn*

I suppose releasing an artist's conception is just speculation and conjecture; bothe Gen I and Gen II are good looking bikes already. While a freshening of the external design would go along with a Gen III, making some of the known deficiencies (however slight) would be the real news. (and that we need to wait on Yamaha to see what they might have up their sleeve)

After looking around the web I have found this pic floating around. So I guess we just have to see what Yamaha really does. But here is the link to the article

2011 FJR

...and a semi-automatic gearbox that offers clutchless gear shifts.
Thank goodness, the AE or something like it may be back. Perhaps we Gen II AE owners will no longer suffer the snide remarks of the old-timers with their clutch handles and cables ("By gum, if a clutch were good 'nuff fer Lawrence of Ara-bee it shore is good 'nuff fer me!"). Or at least we will have more clutchless riders to diffuse the teasing. Better yet, maybe it will be a true auto transmission, and then WE will have someone to look down on too! Yes, a new addition to the pecking order is just what this forum needs.

That was originally posted in 2008 and is yet another photochop.

No one posting anything on this board and no one reading anything on this board knows what Yamaha will be doing for 2011 - we go through this every year and every year it is the same garbage. Anyone who doesn't work in management, engineering, manufacturing or purchasing in Japan has any idea whatsoever about what is coming and we'll MAYBE find out after the dealer meeting, assuming that they release the news then.

Until then it is all conjecture and as far as I can tell, given the fact that they have been hemmoraging cash and still have '08s in the warehouse it isn't likely they'll spend a dozen million or so to design a radical new ST bike. They will amost certainly put their limited development money into scooters, pure sport bikes and cruisers because that's where the volume is.

In the meantime;

The FJR out accelerates the C14 in the important lower rev ranges unless you modify your Connie by pulling the secondary butterflies.

The FJR has more range and runs on regular

The FJR handles better

The FJR stops better.

The FJR has better fit and finish, though the paint is a bit soft

The FJR is lower and thus appeals to a broader ergonomic segment.

That doesn't mean that the C14 isn't a great bike with a lot of positive attributes. But the fact is that the FJR isn't bad, though it would be nice if Yamaha stepped up and gave us a similar 3 year base warranty and specifically covered items like seals the way Kawasaki does.

Do we need traction control? If I want a TPMS I can always add one - neither bike has the more important cruise control - these are touring bikes!!

Or, perhaps they finished development of the FJR1500 2 years ago and have been sitting on the product until they work through their outstanding inventory of FJR1300 parts.

We'll find out soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys realize this is 100% fake, right?
My fear is that a designer at Yamaha would see that rendering and think "Hey, that looks pretty good, let's do it."

Hopefully, they're also monitoring some forums like this one to prove to them that we all hate it.

...and a semi-automatic gearbox that offers clutchless gear shifts.
Thank goodness, the AE or something like it may be back. Perhaps we Gen II AE owners will no longer suffer the snide remarks of the old-timers with their clutch handles and cables ("By gum, if a clutch were good 'nuff fer Lawrence of Ara-bee it shore is good 'nuff fer me!"). Or at least we will have more clutchless riders to diffuse the teasing. Better yet, maybe it will be a true auto transmission, and then WE will have someone to look down on too! Yes, a new addition to the pecking order is just what this forum needs.
Yeah, it's a bitch. My clutch "cable" is all wored outted. Can you tell me where I can get a new cable to work my clutch?

Jeebus!

Damn Howie, shoulda got a new one while the bike was all tore down already! :p
Man, I've been agonizing over this. Maybe some nice Gen II AE owner, who isn't using their clutch cable, could send me theirs?

I promise to quit bashing your porker bike if you do!

:p

Or at least we will have more clutchless riders to diffuse the teasing. Better yet, maybe it will be a true auto transmission, and then WE will have someone to look down on too! Yes, a new addition to the pecking order is just what this forum needs.
Err,, Richard, your AE has a clutch. And its used at every shift. If you want a slushbox, there are some scooters around or just go CVT, that's even easier to find.....and even more underwhelming to ride.

Or at least we will have more clutchless riders to diffuse the teasing. Better yet, maybe it will be a true auto transmission, and then WE will have someone to look down on too! Yes, a new addition to the pecking order is just what this forum needs.
Err,, Richard, your AE has a clutch. And its used at every shift. If you want a slushbox, there are some scooters around or just go CVT, that's even easier to find.....and even more underwhelming to ride.
Yeah, I know, see my first post on this forum to see just how I know this! And I'm enjopying the heck out this forum and my AE. I'll be taking a trip to Idaho and back near the end of the month and the information and farkletalk available here has helped me get my AE ready for the trip.

I'm just trying to have a little fun with this topic too. We Gen II and AE guys get some kidding, I'm just trying to return the favor a little. No offense taken when we AE pilots are thought to be "clutchless and clueless", and no offense meant when I try to turn it around.

No offense taken when we AE pilots are thought to be "clutchless and clueless", and no offense meant when I try to turn it around.
The only people that are saying "clutchless and clueless" w/o a smile are people that haven't ridden an AE. It's not for everyone, but flicking the buttons to shift works just fine.

Remember, we tease because we love. :lol:

Damn Howie, shoulda got a new one while the bike was all tore down already! :p
Man, I've been agonizing over this. Maybe some nice Gen II AE owner, who isn't using their clutch cable, could send me theirs?

I promise to quit bashing your porker bike if you do!

:p
Yeah......Sure ...& porkers will fly. :derisive:

With no vents on the side fairings to move the air away from the rider , it`ll be hotter than the gen 1 ever was. The person who photo shopped it sure likes Hondas :unsure:

All I have to say is that whatever a new "Gen III" FJR looks like, it had better sound like this: The Motus KMV4
BTW: You've just listened to 140hp/120ft lbs @ the crank. Sweetness.... :yahoo:
Whoa! I could go for that! Sounds like a NASCAR engine.

...or the front half of it anyway.

'fooz

All I want is 10 more HP, 50 lbs lighter, rear Ohlin shock and self canceling turn signals. A new color might be nice. The FJR1300 is like my wife's 2000 Boxster - still a clean, classic design. I know the 50 # is the real challenge!

I think you could achieve all of that with the existing FJR

For many (most?) of us, losing 50 pounds of combined weight would be the easiest (and healthiest) thing to do. :unsure: Just go on a diet or use that gym membership more often. And you could probably squeeze 10 hp out of your existing bike pretty easily. That isn't beyond reason.

In fact you could accomplish the first two items above just by buying a 1st gen!! :p

They have modules you can buy for self canceling turn signals.

And an Ohlin suspension and new paint job are only a matter of forking over the (considerable) coin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.