2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lotsa riders heading south. Interesting...

Including one crazy Brit on an FZ1!. Yay! Who woulda thunk him a four corners contender on that bike?

Last edited by a moderator:
Snapshot around midnight, EDT..... approx two hours after Leg 3 Bonus List was distributed.

l3midnight.jpg

Only about 8 or so are show on this public snapshot, but I count at least 5 more on the Staff page, and my suspicion is there are several more above that we are all unaware of. Lot's of folks fancy themselves as a Gold Medal contender, regardless of their actual final standing.

A few pics from the Jax checkpoint. Most riders at the checkpoint looked surprisingly refreshed.

The Triumph gets new rubber.

IMG_3841.JPG

Brant looks ready to ride another 8,000 miles.

IMG_3855.JPG

Doug taking a few minutes to relax and play tourist.

IMG_3857.JPG

The BMW transplant provides free entertainment to the spectators.

IMG_3862.JPG

That's your problem right there. :)

IMG_3861.JPG

Hangin' with Dad tonight. Explained to him about this rally. He used to do rallies in the '60's in his Mustang with Mom navigating. We pulled out a road atlas, marked the capitals and argued about routes and timing and bonus locations.

Two hours later he's yelling, over an old Rand McNally now covered with various colors of highlighter, "When are we going to know the third leg bounuses?"

The old guy is hooked.

3 final drive replacements?!?!?! Where do people draw the line before they find another ride??
There are some in the LD community who are on their 3rd or 4th replacement FD (same bike).

That Koolaid is f'n STRONG!
And there are some who are on their 3rd or 4th BMW with nary a problem. Did you have some point beyond "my shit's better than your shit"? Jumpin' Jebus you Yamaha riders talk about BMW final drives so much it makes me sorta wonder if ya'll have some sorta complex ;)

- Tim

Snapshot around midnight, EDT..... approx two hours after Leg 3 Bonus List was distributed.

l3midnight.jpg

Only about 8 or so are show on this public snapshot, but I count at least 5 more on the Staff page, and my suspicion is there are several more above that we are all unaware of. Lot's of folks fancy themselves as a Gold Medal contender, regardless of their actual final standing.
Of the 12 I counted that made Madawaska on Leg 2 8 are headed south now. One is out in West Virginia, one is still in the parking lot, I think 308 has a spot malfunction but I could be wrong and I just can't find 638 :huh:

Doesn't look like anything in Leg 3 dissuaded anyone from a 4 corners.

Hangin' with Dad tonight. Explained to him about this rally. He used to do rallies in the '60's in his Mustang with Mom navigating. We pulled out a road atlas, marked the capitals and argued about routes and timing and bonus locations.

Two hours later he's yelling, over an old Rand McNally now covered with various colors of highlighter, "When are we going to know the third leg bounuses?"

The old guy is hooked.
That is seriously cute :)

I daren't tell my Dad, he would be on the next Air France over here to cheer them in!

My Dad's first bike was a 1946 BSA, in 1957, when he was 17. He always wanted a Gold Wing, and even though he could afford one, he would have to get it past Mum, and she ain't playin'

While we are playing this game. my first bike was a 1958 BSA Bantam, in 1976, when I was 17.

3 final drive replacements?!?!?! Where do people draw the line before they find another ride??
There are some in the LD community who are on their 3rd or 4th replacement FD (same bike).

That Koolaid is f'n STRONG!
And there are some who are on their 3rd or 4th BMW with nary a problem. Did you have some point beyond "my shit's better than your shit"? Jumpin' Jebus you Yamaha riders talk about BMW final drives so much it makes me sorta wonder if ya'll have some sorta complex ;)

- Tim
My only point is the Beemer crowd live an exciting life. Just go back and look at the photos from the checkpoints...

Not a single pic of a crowd gathered around an FJR while a major part is being replaced. See? FJR riders are BORING!

(All in good fun. I really don't care what you ride, just ride!) :D

-=Chris

IMG_3857.JPG

But Doug looks like this after riding the half mile from his house to mine...............

R

Well, looking at the latest spot log it appears that the Rallybastages have opted to eschew the WOTL and thus have failed to include a DC bonus in leg 3

:lol:

Well, looking at the latest spot log it appears that the Rallybastages have opted to eschew the WOTL and thus have failed to include a DC bonus in leg 3

:lol:
the IBA staff tend to be highly educated and logical. regardless of what locals may think, D.C. is not a state and doesn't have a state capital. in that light, the fact it doesn't fit into a state/capital hunt makes ultimate sense.

Snapshot as of 5am PDT, Jun 28.... some of these folks have a looooooooong way to go...

28_0500.jpg

Any news on what the 3rd leg surprise was? Point values up? new non capitol locations? I went back and re-read Tom A's Day -1, he wrote about the return to simpler IBR of the 90s

"To go back to a time when you could ignore a multitude of piddling bonuses that were just a little bit out of the way; to instead be able to point your motorcycle in the direction of a fewer number of -3- high-point bonuses and grind out the miles."

This seems to be the hint that riders might have missed, those wasting time on minor points that is.

Oh I didn't see any Wingabangos needing repairs and replacement parts...

How is extreme rider fatique handled by the IBA , is there a system in place to evaluate riders to be sure they are safe to continue ? Have riders ever been pulled from competition by the IBA when they appeared to be at the end of thier ability to safely continue ?

Looks like a group headed through Jackson this morning. I work across the street from the state capital, any idea when the majority might be coming through for pics of the capital? or have they already come and gone? It's currently 7:56 a.m. central time....... :unsure:

How is extreme rider fatique handled by the IBA , is there a system in place to evaluate riders to be sure they are safe to continue ?
Personal responsibility is a key factor in the Endurance Riding community - no one can tell a rider what his/her condition is; only s/he are in a position to do that. For example, as Fairlaner correctly observed several posts ago, Doug Barrett looks like hammered horsecock when he is *fresh*, let alone after several thousand miles. Can't judge a book by its cover in this regard. Responsible riders are wholly capable of self-assessment.

Further, there are sleep bonuses in place throughout the event to ensure riders are basically forced to rest... if they don't, they lose some noteworthy points associated with a Sleep Bonus, so everyone takes this rest period, *especially* the front-runners.

Status
Not open for further replies.