2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dale make sure you bring your drinking hat for Thursday and Friday evenings...... R
SLACKERS!

ApplePie.jpg

Yup, I can attest to the heat. My 45 minute commute home in the afternoon is bad enough. I can't imagine trying to do that all day for days on end. Especially the coastal humidity which is downright oppressive. We are all hoping Phil has different gear than he's wearing in his Jax photos because that stuff looks HOT HOT HOT, and not in a good way. ;)

Nancy Oswald reports: she is literally melting in the heat near Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It is so hot/humid, she had to get off the road and get some relief in an air-conditioned spot and grabbing a bite.

She's not dehydrated or in any heat-related danger; she's stopping for a bit so she *stays* that way! She's headed for the mega-point capitals, feeling pretty good, just a bit warm. :D
Thanks, Dale.

I thought they had 87 hours?

Packs handed out at 7pm PDT in Jacksonville and Penalties starting at 10am PDT in LA ...

That would be 87 hours? No?

Did I get something wrong?

well, no rain to contend with in Baton Rouge, but let me tell ya, the heat index is running around 106+ today...hope they stay hydrated.
tell me about it <sigh>

only take Vampire Rides these days or I turn into a well baked brownie

mostly, I pray for clouds and even hope for light rain on the slab

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody in Denver last August might have heard the following words;

"I know that in five minutes time, half of you will have completely forgotten this. But maybe, just maybe, one day next summer, when it's all too late, you might remember I told you;

Don't go to Key West."

P.

British fans: The Triumph of John Young is among that lead group in the lower Mississippi/Louisiana area. The Yamaha Frazer of Phil Weston is back on the Florida mainland.
Mr. Young is my hero. If he makes Ontario as a 48 states finisher, he deserves to be an honorary Gold Medal finisher, if nothing else. Riding a whole IBR with Lucas electrics seems an unfathomable accomplishment to those of us who have owned motorcycles lighted and fired by the Prince of Darkness. And while I haven't ridden a Triumph or BSA triple of the day, if they vibrate even half as much as my '69 BSA 650 twin did, I don't know how he has enough feeling in his arms and hands to write down bonii.

Awesome ride so far, sir!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
I thought about Mr. Young all the way home while on my Grueling 25 mile 82 degree F commute, while rockingout to my Garmin/XM radio.

I looked over his bike in NY, and to the best of my knowledge the man has no tunes, no XM, and no comms while underway. I mean I know he has a TomTom but they suck. *Maybe* he has some Bluetooth combo to his phone like a Scala or something, but damn.

Hardcore Old School!

I'm definitely a fan and really hope he finishes.

Go John Go!

Warchild said:
[update: holy crap, I hadn't realize how many states Meese still needs to pick up that are not really on a southern track.... like Kansas and Missouri, for example....
Not to mention he is in the hole 1000 miles due to KW, plus add the distance to Tenn. where frens is at now. Dick Peak looks to be in a better position than Meese & Sinclair if he grabbed all L 1 & L2 base states. Time will tell.

I thought they had 87 hours?

Packs handed out at 7pm PDT in Jacksonville and Penalties starting at 10am PDT in LA ...

That would be 87 hours? No?

Did I get something wrong?
You are right I am math challenged today. I need to stay focused on work I guess.

"I know that in five minutes time, half of you will have completely forgotten this. But maybe, just maybe, one day next summer, when it's all too late, you might remember I told you;

Don't go to Key West."

P.
xi-dont-always-ride-in-the-iron-butt-rally-but-when-i-do-i-never-get-suckered-into-key-west.jpg.pagespeed.ic.T0JzTcZWgu.jpg

;)

John Young knows his way around a Triumph Trident, no question.... I understand the entire electrical system on that machine was completely re-done with wholly new wire harnesses, looming, connectors, etc.... it does not really have the same Lucas system you guys are referring to....

Which is, likely enough, a significant contributor to the fact that he is still rolling. :lol:
John knows his way around the electrical system of ancient Triumphs. Six miles from home during the 2010 Brit Butt Rally he started blowing fuses on another antique - a 1975 T160. After ripping out most of the wiring so he could get it going again he brought it home in 3rd place (the bastard! :rolleyes: ). You can read his report of that rally here if you are so minded.

Despite his obvious mental affliction with regard to old nails he's a very likeable chap and I'm really looking forward to hearing first hand about his rally.

(I see Phil's having a long ride today. I'm looking forward to hearing his stories as well.)

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't go to Key West."

P.
xi-dont-always-ride-in-the-iron-butt-rally-but-when-i-do-i-never-get-suckered-into-key-west.jpg.pagespeed.ic.T0JzTcZWgu.jpg

;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I hope Johns ride is getting plenty of thread space on the Triumph sites !
The only Triumph board I know of is TriumphRAT and there are like 5 posts on the thread and those come from self admitted readers of other forums.
We're watching closely and cheering for him on the TriplesOnline forum, the center of the universe for Tridents and Rocket3s. :clapping:

Status
Not open for further replies.