2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at Rider #496 and I've got a suspicion that (s)he is headed for Phoenix. From there (s)he will go North to Salt Lake City and West to Carson City. What (s)he does after that will depend on whether (s)he already has three of the four corners.

Yes - (s)he goes to San Ysidro for the fourth corner.

No - (s)he goes to Sacramento.
Then on to Ontario. Of course, this all is only workable if (s)he got Colorado on leg #1.

If (s)he has to still get Colorado, then (s)he would have to skip both of the above after Carson City or Carson City & Sacramento so (s)he could get San Ysidro. It will be interesting to see where Rider #496 goes.

That figures. As soon as I posted the above Spotwalla updates, and now shows Rider #496 turning North toward Santa Fe. Never mind. :(
Did you mean 896? My map shows 496 south of Carlsbad, NM.
No I meant #496. At the time I wrote the above he was on I-10 East of Fort Stockton, TX. I thought he would just stay on I-10 to Phoenix. As usual I was wrong. :(

Jerry - you certain about that? If that's the case, I'd hit it and quit it quick. Otherwise, it's a decent detour into each state to get that receipt....
I think Jerry is mistaken.

In any event, it's the kind of mistake that leads to interesting discussions at scoring tables, and disappointed riders.

If he is not mistaken, then I am, and he just did better than me in the armchair rally :)

Jerry - you certain about that? If that's the case, I'd hit it and quit it quick. Otherwise, it's a decent detour into each state to get that receipt....
Well it's possible I misunderstood my friend who is in the rally, and told me that a daylight photo of the four corners marker is good for four states. If he misunderstood the rally pack, he's about to be in a world of hurt at the scoring table. The proof will be in the SPOT tracks. Look where rider 293 just visited.

Here's a question.

It was brought up after leg 1 scoring that if a rider lost a receipt for a state, they'd lose points, but if the RM's could determine that the rider had been in the state in question, they would not have to go back and get a new receipt and would still be a finisher w/o the receipt.

Wouldn't the same apply if someone got a receipt from the trading post at the four-corners monument? If you went there, could it be reasonably determined that you then visited all four states?
The problem with that is you can't get a computer generated receipt at four corners
Wasn't ther a provision to get a picture with the rally flag in it? Or does that not apply to getting the states?

The four corners of the U.S. bonii are photographs. I think a receipt is required to document a state.

Wasn't ther a provision to get a picture with the rally flag in it? Or does that not apply to getting the states?
My understanding is that the flag was to be used in the capital bonus photos, and also for documenting the Four Corners Tour photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Four Corners isn't technically at the four corners I believe. Also I do think you get a receipt from them too. If the riders got direction to accept four corners then that would be OK, if not that is an assumption I would not make.

Well, I'm out, people..... packing the Hayabusa for a straight 1000-mile shot to the Finish Line.

Departing in a hour or so... y'all have fun watching the action.

Safe travels Dale - and....Thanks for all the time you put in! It's much appreciated!

Four Corners isn't technically at the four corners I believe. Also I do think you get a receipt from them too. If the riders got direction to accept four corners then that would be OK, if not that is an assumption I would not make.
Technically, shmechnically. If the rallymaster says that little tourist outpost is good for four states, it's good for four states. It could be in Minnesota for all that matters. For these 11 days the United States belong to Lisa Landry and Tom Austin.

Technically, shmechnically. If the rallymaster says that little tourist outpost is good for four states, it's good for four states. It could be in Minnesota for all that matters. For these 11 days the United States belong to Lisa Landry and Tom Austin.
LOL! Well said! :)

My best guess is 929 is headed to Santa Fe, via smaller highways but more directly. 4
I don't know who 929 is but I think this rider bears watching. I like their current position and direction. :whistle:

Rock on, 929, rock on. Whoever you are.

In Austin this morning and looking like they are heading to Denver.

Watch this rider, folks. They are on track to put in a big ass leg 3.

rider with a problem.....from the ldrider site.

Hey everyone. The Texas heat has knocked out my 2004 BMW R1150RT. I am so close to finishing, but need some wheels to do it. I am in Vega TX (40 miles west of Amarillo). I am having the bike towed to Albuquerque. Is anyone in the area of Vega or Albuquerque have a bike I could borrow? All I have to do to finish this thing is ride up to the four corners monument area to get NM, CO, UT, AZ, and then ride to the finish in L.A. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My cell is 978-559-9264. Thank you.

-Wallace

Rider #37

Glenn Pancoast

IBA#216

Good luck Glenn...wish I was closer!

...and I don't want to sidetrack this thread any but it seems to me that shaft-drive motos may actually be faring worse that chain-drive motos! :eek: When I start asking questions about LD riding one of the standard answers is to get a shaft-drive ride. This does not seem to be the case this week, or am I missing something here?

Dave

...and I don't want to sidetrack this thread any but it seems to me that shaft-drive motos may actually be faring worse that chain-drive motos! :eek: When I start asking questions about LD riding one of the standard answers is to get a shaft-drive ride. This does not seem to be the case this week, or am I missing something here?

Dave
It isn't me. I was just posting Wallace's Ldrider message requesting assistance. But thanks anyway.

Glenn

...it's a decent detour into each state to get that receipt...
There's gas at Towaoc, CO about 10 miles south of Cortez, and at Montezuma Creek UT. Not sure if the pumps are 24 hour. If running westerly through NM/AZ on 64/160, being able to get credit for UT & CO at the 4 corners monument would save about 60 miles.

Well it's possible I misunderstood my friend who is in the rally, and told me that a daylight photo of the four corners marker is good for four states. If he misunderstood the rally pack, he's about to be in a world of hurt at the scoring table. The proof will be in the SPOT tracks. Look where rider 293 just visited.
Jerry is correct. The rally riders need a daylight photo at the for corners marker and they can claim UT, CO, AZ and NM. The park is open from 7am to 8pm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave
Yes, you are missing something. Don't even think of LD riding with a chain drive M/C unless you want to do a lot of maintenance in route. I think it's only a certain, ahem, brand that's having trouble. And the last guy didn't say he had FD problems, to give him some credit. Go to the Standings page and count the number of Honda's (all models) and FJR's compared to everybody else. That should make it clear

Jerry is correct. The rally riders need a daylight photo at the for corners marker and they can claim UT, CO, AZ and NM. The park is open from 7am to 8pm.
Are you sure about that fleetfoot?

I asked that question early in the rally and Warchild echoed back "The rally book says an electronic receipt from each state to claim the state (or the capitol)."

I asked again at the NY checkpoint and was told it was being 'considered', but for now a receipt would be required.

I hadn't heard otherwise, and judging by the spot tracks, it seems to me folks are searching out those electronic receipts. Or maybe they didn't get the message or reading comprehension has suffered, either is possible.

I just hadn't heard from an official source.

-MD

Status
Not open for further replies.