2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a shot of Aneth, UT, the closest "named" town in Utah to Four Corners.

33P5140193.jpg

Not a lot of traffic or electronic anything here. I'd say that the Shell station in Mexican Hat is a better bet than anything in Blandings.

Lot of possible broken hearts ot there, depending on how the rules are viewed.....

Yes, you are missing something. Don't even think of LD riding with a chain drive M/C unless you want to do a lot of maintenance in route. I think it's only a certain, ahem, brand that's having trouble.
As I recall, Peter Hoogeveen managed 2nd, 3rd, and 7th place IBR finishes on a CBR1100XX and Warchild managed 7 consecutive Bunburner Golds on the same model with a chain drive.

But, is it not a fact, that it has been determined that the monument is quite some distance from the actual location?
Reading comprehension. See post #1569.

And find me some something half-reliable that says the four corners monument is not in the correct place. Last I checked, everything I read said it was accurate.
Greg, you are legally right.

The fact that the US Government agreed at the time that it was right, it became the legal boundry.

Technically, shmechnically. If the rallymaster says that little tourist outpost is good for four states, it's good for four states. It could be in Minnesota for all that matters. For these 11 days the United States belong to Lisa Landry and Tom Austin.
but the mineral rights stay with Mike.

Yes, you are missing something. Don't even think of LD riding with a chain drive M/C unless you want to do a lot of maintenance in route. I think it's only a certain, ahem, brand that's having trouble.
As I recall, Peter Hoogeveen managed 2nd, 3rd, and 7th place IBR finishes on a CBR1100XX and Warchild managed 7 consecutive Bunburner Golds on the same model with a chain drive.
OK OK, I give! I guess my point to the guy is that a gear FD is a lot less maintenance/hassel for long distances. I've touched my FD once in 50,000 miles. Try that with a chain. One of the IBA "truths" or whatever is to eliminate anything that is bothersome or annoying to you over a long ride. I've got a Trophy 900 I love to tour on but I oil the chain every third fill up and replace it at 10,000-15,000 miles. How would this fair after 10 days unless you're in the "robot" mode and oil as well as gas up? What happens if you don't remember for two or three or four fillups to oil it? And we can check with WC when he gets back but I seem to remember during Hell Week that he had "some" assistance with tires and chains. :p

My point was not the chain drive, it was about the "apparent" relative reliability of different makes. Hence the comment about Honda's and FJR's vs everything else. I thought his comment was about chain vs gear FD's and reliability and was he missing something

Lets not forget that the road right past the Indian tourist location is still a good route to get from A to B to C to D to score some of the receipts. Just because a ride goes by, doesn't mean they are making an error. IIRC, the IBA given base route goes thru there. Some of those secondary roads are gravel, and crappy pavement. Some level of out and back may be more efficient than a loop in that area. Just saying.

Skooty, holy crap man, let some of the others post now and then! :rolleyes:

I'd be much more worried about the other 99% of that antique triumph than the chain. Just sayin. :)

OK OK, I give! I guess my point to the guy is that a gear FD is a lot less maintenance/hassel for long distances. I've touched my FD once in 50,000 miles. Try that with a chain. One of the IBA "truths" or whatever is to eliminate anything that is bothersome or annoying to you over a long ride. I've got a Trophy 900 I love to tour on but I oil the chain every third fill up and replace it at 10,000-15,000 miles. How would this fair after 10 days unless you're in the "robot" mode and oil as well as gas up? What happens if you don't remember for two or three or four fillups to oil it? And we can check with WC when he gets back but I seem to remember during Hell Week that he had "some" assistance with tires and chains. :p

My point was not the chain drive, it was about the "apparent" relative reliability of different makes. Hence the comment about Honda's and FJR's vs everything else. I thought his comment was about chain vs gear FD's and reliability and was he missing something
Heh! Your points were good ones :)

It was the "Don't even think" that did it ....

I used to expect a good 20 000 miles from a chain, but that was with an automatic oiler, halve that distance without one.

I would buy an FJR if I could afford one, but my last Yamaha was an FJ1200A with a chain, and it would eat LD distances.

Oddly, my two current bikes are a 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale and a 1977 Yamaha XS750. The Triple has already done a SS1000 this year, and the VR is being prepped for the Oklahoma Rally in September.

Both are shaft driven.

Both are old

So am I!

You guys are ASSuming that the rules that applied on Leg 1 and Leg 2 also apply on Leg 3. It's entirely possible that at the JAX checkpoint, it was announced that Four Corners would count. According to my friend who was there, that's what was said. You really think riders are going there for a scenic tourist shot? Gimme a break. There's no such thing as tourism on Day 10. This is a no-brainer.

By the way, it's also entirely possible that Sacramento and Carson City are worth as much on Leg 3 as Hyder was on Leg 1. It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Tom's foreshadowing remarks in the early reports pretty much guarantee something like that is going on.

Jerry is correct. The rally riders need a daylight photo at the for corners marker and they can claim UT, CO, AZ and NM. The park is open from 7am to 8pm.
BS. I was at the start banquet in Seattle. I listened to what the riders were told, and all the questions the riders asked, and those answers. This question was specifically asked, and the riders were specifically told, NO, you couldn't get a picture of the Four Corners Monument, real or tourist, to score those four states. You had to follow the same rules for bagging any other state, an electronic receipt. It was pointed out that electronic receipts for those four states were available "in the vicinity", but not at the Indian run tourist site.

So unless there was a frickin' revelation of the Madonna in Jacksonville and they altered their previous statements, someone is going to DNF because they didn't pay attention. That's gonna suck.
On the flip side. How does this affect the riders that dropped down to collect Colorado on the first leg? I doubt they would have made that routing choice if they knew they could pickup CO via the four corners on leg 3. Now any advantage that gave them has been erased.

So how much does it cost to compete in the Rally do you think ?

Was thinking that in Europe, just the fuel alone would be $4-6000 (depending upon consumption and exchange rate)
Probably a base cost of around $4000

$2000 entry

$1500 Gas

$500 Incidentals

Depending on accomodation, andother $1000 wouldn't go amiss, and don't get tickets :)
:huh: You might just want to let the Vets chime in on this one Steve. You forgot a lot of stuff. Hotels, including the start/checkpoints/finish ones as well as on the road add up to a significant cost for the rally. Increased Insurance, (500k CSL required), for many too.

More than a few riders have spent the following two years paying for their IBR ride.
Plus things like MedJet, Spot, XM weather, added Farkelage, etc etc etc. I think this all could easily add up to thou$and$ of dollar$.
ohmy.gif

Now, you don't need all that stuff, but damn if it isn't helpful...
The Iron Butt Rally...11 days, $11,000. :D

... and Mark Kiecker set the IBR mileage record on a VFR.

... and Mark Kiecker set the IBR mileage record on a VFR.
Jeeze, if you're going to go there, Leon Bergman. Nuff said.

@Jerry - Anything is possible, but I seriously doubt they would change the rules this late in the game. Riders would be pissed. It was asked and answered. "Worlds Toughest Riders" is something Lisa is fond of saying when someone asks why it can't be done the easy way. IIRC, Tom or WC stated that the points for capitals were less than 2000 points, but more than 1000 points by inferring that they were greater than the PA capital, but less than what some keyboard rider suggested. Not saying you can't exceed the Hyder bonus with capitals, but it's moot when the top riders do both.

And we can check with WC when he gets back but I seem to remember during Hell Week that he had "some" assistance with tires and chains. :p
Warchild indeed had help with the tires and chains as well as other maintenance and checking of the bike while he rested in between the hell rides. The name of the mechanic who helped make hell week a success for Warchild is Brian Roberts.

I was at that rider meeting as well. Although, I don't remember the exact phrasing....I was left with the impression that the specifics of bagging the four corner states would be shared with riders at some point in the future (e.g. in Jax) and that it would potentially be "slightly" different than previous rules...but not hugely different. I will imagine that most riders are following whatever the standards are and the sky isn't falling with the four corners states.

Dayum, this thread is riveting. Way to go, FJR forum, for being IBR Command Central. :clapping:

But when-Oh-when will the next update come out? :dribble:

Status
Not open for further replies.