2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*snipered*

My condolences and prayers for a full and speedy recovery to Ken Meese (whom I have never met), and kudos to him for the 98% of a monster ride in which he apparently made one of the all time most epic of LD rally efforts.
+1

Yup...

We talked earlier about the costs associated with this event. Who really wants to spend many thousands of dollars and not have the satisfaction of an honestly earned result?
There's been at least one in the past.

And, changing subjects:

Let's not jump the gun on this one. First, the IBR will undoubtedly consider all the facts in reaching a just and reasonable result, which I hope means that Ken Meese can ride in the next IBR.
there are a couple of things on the discussion table (neither of which we can answer ourselves). who will or won't be told to sit out 2013 due to wrecks. who may or may not have to have a talk to officials about too much info out to groups larger than sanctioned.

the first we assume is a continuing rule from past rallies (wreck and sit out) but which we don't know if the situation leading to the wreck (equipment failure, "act of god", etc.) will result in the officials giving it a pass.

the other may be nothing more than the info of the public spots (which would then be a non-issue).

as with everything around this time, wait for the actual results.

Last edited by a moderator:
While we're all sitting around waiting for the Dog Extrusion to hit the Breeze Generator, I'd just like to say thanks again to Warchild, the volunteers here at fjrforum.com, and all the members for their hospitality and for making this a great place to keep tabs on the IBR. You guys are (and have attracted) a ridin' bunch of fools who know what you're talking about.

Next time in Central VA, consider yourself "invited", we always have tent space, floor space, and a bonfire at the ready.

Cheers.

That was posted today, after Ken's crash and subsequent successful surgery was well known.
I'm not sure that's a valid assumption. Since 2009 I STILL haven't made my SPOT track public from the IBR out of an outright prohibition of sharing that information before, during, or AFTER the event. Perhaps that changed in 2011, but I wouldn't count on it.... :unsure:
No change

When I have the privilege of following someone's personal SPOT Tracker it's with the condition of not making the information public under penalty of disqualification.

Great fun!

Lips are sealed!

Edit: Damn! There I go choking the bandwidth! This really should be over at https://www.ironbutt.org/forum/

I wanted to extend my thanks to the FJR list for the insight and entertainment over the past 11 days. With 2 FJRs in the top ten, that's a nice representation. Peek of course will be one but I don't know enough of the other Feejer pilots to venture a guess although I know Perry Karsten is a solid rider. Hembroff also looked good.

Regardless, thank you and congrats to all the riders who entered the rally, especially the europeans; it takes balls to enter an event of this magnitude run in a foreign land. The Lilley household will keep those who had mishaps in our collective prayers.

Bob

We talked earlier about the costs associated with this event. Who really wants to spend many thousands of dollars and not have the satisfaction of an honestly earned result?
Saying someone cheated...

That's a bold statement, even for an armchair rally rider. You might want to either back it up or retract it.

- Tim

That's a bold statement, even for an armchair rally rider. You might want to either back it up or retract it.

- Tim
I don't think he needs my help and he's far from an arm chair rally rider but here's a link to an incident reported by Bob Higdon:https://reocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1382/html/ironb97.html

Read down a ways and you'll see it. So yes, it's been done in the past. If the link doesn't come through you may have to copy and paste. In the preview I can't tell.

- Tim
If you look at Ron Ayres' book on the 1995 Rally, you'll find that the top two announced finishers were disqualified after the rally, one for using a friend to get a receipt from a bonus location that had closed for the day, and the other for using someone else's rally towel after they lost their own.

On a more pleasant topic, many thanks to Warchild for hosting this topic, and congratulations to the finishers.

- Tim
I don't think he needs my help and he's far from an arm chair rally rider but here's a link to an incident reported by Bob Higdon:https://reocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1382/html/ironb97.html

Read down a ways and you'll see it. So yes, it's been done in the past. If the link doesn't come through you may have to copy and paste. In the preview I can't tell.
It's noble of you to defend him but I agree: he doesn't need your help. And I don't think he was referring to that story about Eddie and Tom.

Whatever.

Congrats to Peter on a monster 3rd leg for the win and to all of the riders for a great rally. 14,185 miles by Jim Frens is just astonishing.

- Tim

- Tim

It's noble of you to defend him but I agree: he doesn't need your help.
And you're welcome to use the PM feature of the board to talk to Bounce personally. I think this thread has reached apogee.

Thanks all for participating in 2011 Iron Butt Watch via FJRForum.com.

New thread about winners and placement here.

That's the one I was thinking of. Since the thread closed, I wanted to end this part of it too. I'm not sure what got in someone's craw but maybe there's something he wants to describe in a different thread. I'm content to leave this as it is. I didn't actually think of using someone else's towel as "cheating" since it was nothing more than a let-me-try-this and completely in the open at the scoring table. the number on the towel didn't match the rider and would be obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.