2012 FJR Heat Issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cg1200

Reaction score
I bought a 2012 FJRwith 4K miles back in March and have been in love with it ever since - til now. I've noticed now that weather is warmer (low 80's in CT) there is an unbearable amount of heat down around my ankles and calves. The bike came with Two Brothers slip on exhaust pipes and I've noticed that the right side seems a bit loose compared to the left. When I brought it in for service, the shop said that one of the clamps was loose and that they couldn't really tighten any further so they told me to call Two Bros for a replacement clamp. I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

If I was only feeling the heat on the side with the loose clamp (and it's not really that loose) I'd just assume that the exhaust was leaking a bit. But it's actually hotter on my left leg which has the good clamp. I don't know what to think. But the heat is really bad. I almost can't take it anymore.

I did some poking around and saw others complaining on the forum about older model FJR's (mostly 2006) and heat issues but nothing recent. So my question is should I go back to stock pipes or some other pipe more well known for their heat dissipation? It certainly seems like it has to be related to these Two Bros pipes. FWIW, I'm not a custom pipe person. I wouldn't normally buy slip-ons. Stock has always been good enough for me. Any guidance or thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh, and I always wear Alpinestars textile riding pants and 3/4 length motorcycle boots. I'd consider buying calf-high boots but that doesn't seem like the best solution.

Thanks,

Chris

Keep in mind that you have a 140+ hp heater in your crotch. There is going to be heat. I have an 03 that is well known for heat and don't find it a problem most of the time. once in awhile is is a bit ugly but only at low speed. The slip on muffs aren't going to make any change from stock except the noise.

If you want to experience real heat borrow a Harley and ride it in traffic for a day. You will think the FJR is air conditioned.
smile.png

Welcome to the wonderful world of water cooled bike, and the only real shortcoming of the FJR design, heat wash from the radiator through the cowling. I'm only familiar with the Gen1 fixes; I'll leave it to more experienced owners to offer their advice for the '12.

Oh, and welcome to a good club to be part of!

This is my first liquid cooled bike so it's something I wasn't expecting. It's pretty disappointing. There's really nothing that can be done?

I'll invest in a good pair of full length boots I guess but it is extremely uncomfortable at pretty much any speed. If I get a "vented" boot do you think that will allow too much engine heat in? Should I stick to the non-vented?

My FJR has never been hotter than I expected. Some days when the fans have come on in stop and go traffic, I can feel more heat than normal, but it's never been uncomfortable. Especially at "any" speed.

Toyota Corollas have AC vents near the floor to cool your toes when necessary. It's a 145hp gas burning engine. It makes heat. If you're too sensitive for it, trade it in.

I think there's something up with the fit of the slip-ons. What you all are describing sounds tolerable. What I'm experiencing seems extreme. It feels like a hair dryer is blowing on my ankle whether I'm stopped at a light or doing 75 on the hwy. I'm aware that I'm sitting on a rather large engine so I get the heat has to go somewhere. I don't think I'm being overly sensitive and the last thing I want to do is trade it in. I've been so happy with the bike til now. I'm dealing with it, just looking to see if someone else has experienced this.

My advice would be to find another FJR owner and swap rides for a couple miles. Then the two of you can compare notes.

You have no way of knowing what the PO did or did not do to the bike. In theory, the slip ons would actually reduce felt heat due to evacuating the hot exhaust gases better...
rolleyes.gif
You can try adjusting the fairing edge vents but I never was able to tell much difference either way.

The Gen 2 heat management is honestly pretty good. I find it to actually be a little better than my Honda ST1300. I don't know what your tolerance levels are or what your bike is doing but I never had any issue with heat from Dad's '07.

I don't feel heat on the back lower leg, but I do on my shins from the radiator airflow when it's over 100 air temp

My current solution is to move my feet to the outside of the pegs or forward to my hiwy pegs., doesn't work in twisties but try a different foot position

Last edited by a moderator:
My FJR has never been hotter than I expected. Some days when the fans have come on in stop and go traffic, I can feel more heat than normal, but it's never been uncomfortable. Especially at "any" speed.Toyota Corollas have AC vents near the floor to cool your toes when necessary. It's a 145hp gas burning engine. It makes heat. If you're too sensitive for it, trade it in.
I think there's something up with the fit of the slip-ons. What you all are describing sounds tolerable. What I'm experiencing seems extreme. It feels like a hair dryer is blowing on my ankle whether I'm stopped at a light or doing 75 on the hwy. I'm aware that I'm sitting on a rather large engine so I get the heat has to go somewhere. I don't think I'm being overly sensitive and the last thing I want to do is trade it in. I've been so happy with the bike til now. I'm dealing with it, just looking to see if someone else has experienced this.
I kinda sounded like a dick there...sorry. Regarding your pipes, I felt absolutely no difference when I installed my 2Bros; however, they were a hair large and I destroyed the left side header gasket, so I fixed it. Try this: go get high temp aluminum heat tape. I got a roll from Home Depot. Pull off your pipes and add tape to the header end a strip at a time until they're really snug. Then clamp them down and ride. Maybe that's the issue.

Also, someone just did some kind of heat fix on one, but not sure of the year. Put thick foam along the back edge of the fairing, to redirect heat towards the ground. Since its used, and you don't know hat the OP did, look at the thin fairing pieces near yor feet and ensure the foam is in place. Someone else mentioned feeling lots of heat until they replaced those. Honestly, you should NOT feel excessive heat off of these. What I was trying to say above is that there's not a lot to fix regarding heat. If your sensitivity to generated heat makes you miserable, maybe this bike isn't for you. They're not for lots of people. Lemme see if I can find that recent foam fix. It was on a blue FJR, if anyone else remembers...

I don't feel any heat around the ankles of my 2008 Gen II.

I feel some on a HOT day around the knees.

So you wear motorcycle boots that cover your ankles but STILL feel the heat?

That's surprising with leather boots on.

Once temps get into the high 90s, I've occasionally noticed heat down low on my previous '06 and current '09. At higher speeds, it's been downright uncomfortable a couple times almost to the point of "what the heck is wrong". Then it goes away.

Taller (non vented) boots will definitely help but in general, the FJR does a good job with heat management.

--G

So you wear motorcycle boots that cover your ankles but STILL feel the heat?That's surprising with leather boots on.
I was thinking the same thing.

To the original poster, what kind of boots do you wear? My ankles are well protected by my boots and I do not feel heat anywhere that is covered by the boots.

On my Gen 1 I do feel a lot of heat on my legs above the boots and I wear textile pants with the liner in regardless of the ambient temperature to protect my legs from that heat. The tank is especially hot on long rides and without riding pants it would be very uncomfortable leaning against the tank.

The only way I could imagine a loose exhaust clamp causing heat on your ankle would be if the hot exhaust was blowing out the pipe directly at your ankle.

So you wear motorcycle boots that cover your ankles but STILL feel the heat?That's surprising with leather boots on.
I was thinking the same thing.

To the original poster, what kind of boots do you wear? My ankles are well protected by my boots and I do not feel heat anywhere that is covered by the boots.

I wear these https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28274/i/speed-and-strength-moment-of-truth-shoes I bought them a few years ago and frankly don't love them. The fit isn't great. So I'm happy to invest in a new, full length pair if you think that will help.

My FJR has never been hotter than I expected. Some days when the fans have come on in stop and go traffic, I can feel more heat than normal, but it's never been uncomfortable. Especially at "any" speed.

Toyota Corollas have AC vents near the floor to cool your toes when necessary. It's a 145hp gas burning engine. It makes heat. If you're too sensitive for it, trade it in.
I kinda sounded like a dick there...sorry.
Regarding your pipes, I felt absolutely no difference when I installed my 2Bros; however, they were a hair large and I destroyed the left side header gasket, so I fixed it. Try this: go get high temp aluminum heat tape. I got a roll from Home Depot. Pull off your pipes and add tape to the header end a strip at a time until they're really snug. Then clamp them down and ride. Maybe that's the issue.
Also, someone just did some kind of heat fix on one, but not sure of the year. Put thick foam along the back edge of the fairing, to redirect heat towards the ground. Since its used, and you don't know hat the OP did, look at the thin fairing pieces near yor feet and ensure the foam is in place. Someone else mentioned feeling lots of heat until they replaced those. Honestly, you should NOT feel excessive heat off of these. What I was trying to say above is that there's not a lot to fix regarding heat. If your sensitivity to generated heat makes you miserable, maybe this bike isn't for you. They're not for lots of people. Lemme see if I can find that recent foam fix. It was on a blue FJR, if anyone else remembers...

I kinda sounded like a dick there...sorry. Regarding your pipes, I felt absolutely no difference when I installed my 2Bros; however, they were a hair large and I destroyed the left side header gasket, so I fixed it. Try this: go get high temp aluminum heat tape. I got a roll from Home Depot. Pull off your pipes and add tape to the header end a strip at a time until they're really snug. Then clamp them down and ride. Maybe that's the issue.

Sorry for the last post. Still trying to figure out how to quote a previous post.

That's actually a good idea about the clamp fit. I bet the clamp can't be tightened any further because the pipe doesn't fit perfectly. Sounds like an easy thing to try.

And yes, I saw some old threads from a few years ago talking about the foam on inside of the fairing. I'll have to take a look at that. I'm gonna be gone for a few days so this might have to wait until I'm back. But thanks for the suggestions.

You're feeling the heat on your ankles because those "boots" barely cover them.

I bet when you sit on the bike your pants ride up a little and expose a little more of your leg making it hotter..

I'd try real riding boots that come up PAST your ankle.