2012 FJR Heat Issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CG1200, your "shop guys" are full of shit. End of story. There are no known heat issues with any of the GenII bikes. As said earlier, there's 1300cc of internal combustion engiNE making 145 horses. There will be some heat, but I have never ridden an FJR that was "unbearable."

Did you attempt any of the fixes that were suggested? Have you tried riding another bike? Without action on your part, we cannot help you.

It's not a bad idea. If the opportunity presents itself I will gladly let my friend ride it. All I meant was that even if he says it's not that bad to him that's not going to somehow make it better for me. But yes, I am curious what someone else would say.

It upsets me that somehow this thread could somehow be interpreted as trolling. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have never done anything like that in my life. I am a new FJR owner and thought I could get some opinions on this very real problem from the experts. Thanks to those that tried to help me. I do appreciate it.

Did you attempt any of the fixes that were suggested? Have you tried riding another bike? Without action on your part, we cannot help you.
I bought full length boots as suggested which helped a bit, I've loosened the side flaps but have not had a chance to test as it's rained all week in CT. As I mentioned I have over 15 years of riding experience and never experienced anything like this. Some others have recommended using foil or heat resistant tape which I have not had the chance to try yet.

It upsets me that somehow this thread could somehow be interpreted as trolling. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Please accept my apology for the insinuation.

- Paul
It's ok. Appreciate you saying that.

I spoke to my buddy today that knows a lot about bikes. He's going to help me try and figure this out. Will report back any relevant findings.

- Chris

cg1200, since you seem to be sincere about your heat issue, I'm gonna put my ass-hat away and suggest something for you...

I've been searching for pictures for an hour from the last 9 years of this forum without any luck...DID find some dead photobucket links that I'm sure are what I was hoping for, but no luck...

Back in 06 or 07, after all the Gen II pansies quit bragging on their "superior" Gen IIs, especially after the ignition failures, wiring harness failures, ECU failures, instrument cluster failures, snatchy throttles, grabby clutches and other "minor" issues, some folks started popping up with "My Bike's Too Hot!" threads. This after 2 or 3 years of the rest of us being told how wonderfully cool and "refined" their Gen IIs were.

Seems that some (several) owners had bikes with NO foam insulation in the fairings. Seems some overzealous shop monkeys were ripping the foam out between the fairing pieces and the motors, both sides, in the mistaken belief it was shipping foam, rather than heat deflectors. The foam is thick, heavy-duty closed-cell foam blocks glued to the fairing pieces basically following the lines of the fairings at their rear-most, blocking airflow from the motor and radiator from being blown back on the rider's legs.

If you look directly between the fairing panels and the motor block, either side, directly in front of your knees (if you were sitting on the bike) you'd see this foam filling the space between the fairing and the motor. If there is none there, you may be the beneficiary of a well meaning, but totally ignorant previous owner or untrained shop monkey who didn't realize that foam is supposed to be there! And the Saharan blast coming off your headers, radiator and motor would come ouf the fairings directly on your legs.

Hope this helps.

Hey Fellow Mooks...anyone got pictures of the fairing foam handy???

Hey Fellow Mooks...anyone got pictures of the fairing foam handy???
Thanks for giving the OP the BotD. As an admin I don't think he is a troll...just possibly CONUS challenged. A little Googling after you strolled me down snarky-memory lane I found the picture below. It's part of a larger thread on a project a Gen 1 owner undertook to add foam.

To add more noise to the fleeting possibility of signal in this thread--I believe the Cromeit Heat Fix was also part of the Cult-de-sac of Entropy.

If successful in my little social engineering dittie, I'm hoping we suckerhelp a Gen 3 owner into trying one of these c.2004 things to their 2014...including freshly posted pictures. ;)

10237.jpg

Matt, that is EXACTLY the picture sequence I was remembering....what I FORGOT was it was on fjrowners.com, not here in our special little part of the world.

Thanks for the assist!

Putting my fairing back on after getting my G1 painted, showed foam covering all those large areas, too. Not just those back 3 pieces.

If you boys look back, I posted a link to a recent thread with that exact fix on an '05. That was weeks ago.

I don't think he's trolling either, but this is one of those deals where he has to help us help him. A possible solution has been up for literally weeks. If he tries it and it fails, well, keep looking, but he has to try something!

And yet here we are, damn-near a month later, and no further response to this thread.

OP either "fixed" the heat issue...or burst into flame???

After reading this thread I don't see anywhere it was asked about the radiator fan kicking on. I wonder if his thermostat was/is stuck in the closed position or if his radiator fins are mashed, causing the bike to run hotter than a "normal" Gen II.

And yet here we are, damn-near a month later, and no further response to this thread.
OP either "fixed" the heat issue...or burst into flame???
Or sold the bike and moved on.

Anyone have a similar photo of how the foam "dampers" are installed on newer generations? I have all the dampers from Yamaha's current inventory but want to be sure to place them right on my Gen 1 lower. My Gen 1 lower has just the few as shown here. The dampers I have ready to go include a larger, thinner piece that seems to fit best inside the larger V.

The solution to the Gen II heat problem is pretty simple.

Visit the local KTM dealer and test ride the 1190 Adventure, riding for just over 15 min. If you prefer medium to well done, ride longer than 30 min.

Return to the FJR. Never ever complain about the heat problem again.

This approach also works with chili peppers. The cure for a very hot jalapeño is to chase it with a habanero.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Anyone have a similar photo of how the foam "dampers" are installed on newer generations?

Gen III left-hand fairing:(Click on image for larger view)

(Only later pic I can find.)

Follow this thread...solved the last little niggling issues with heat on my '13. They apply to previous models as well. I had the ankle heat problem on the '13, the Ankools solved that. You may need to be creative for a mounting point on the '12. My air wings are WAY oversized for whats needed but they give be maximum air management especially when the temp drops here in the northland. In full open mode than can almost cause your jacket to be pulled off or at least pushed up under your neck. Tested in Utah, I never had to pull out my wet vest for the entire trip. Came close, but that was when the mercury was pushing 100.

My solutions from my '05 to my '13 have concentrated around the idea that the solution to pollution is dilution. I always concentrated on getting more cool air to the problem areas rather than trying to seal the heat in driving it to even higher temps.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/158882-gen-iii-air-management/

The problem with threads like this is it's all a matter of opinion and tolerance.

Everyone has a difference of opinion on what's too hot and what's not.......how much vibes is excessive and what is considered "normal" for a motorcycle.......how comfy a seat is or not.......how fast a bike is or not.......how good a bike handles or not.....ect........

Making sure all the foam insulation is there is all he can do IMOP.

I think that's why they are called "Never-Ending" and "Pointless". They are "Recurring" because nobody reads the old stuff before posting it again.