2012 FJR Heat Issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I am awash in guilty feelings for the harsh comments.

I rode a bike in Barstow for years mostly in an Army uniform. It was hot but not unbearable. Tall boots and pants 'bloused' (tucked into) them. Now I ride every day on the central coast. It has been as hot as 110. Again tall boots and pants tucked in. It is hot it, is uncomfortable, that's nature. Perhaps I am used to it as I spent the last few days in an M88A2 in the sun.

It still boils down to its summer, its hot, that,s nature.

edited to fix numerous spelling and grammer errors

Last edited by a moderator:
So you wear motorcycle boots that cover your ankles but STILL feel the heat?That's surprising with leather boots on.
I was thinking the same thing.

To the original poster, what kind of boots do you wear? My ankles are well protected by my boots and I do not feel heat anywhere that is covered by the boots.

On my Gen 1 I do feel a lot of heat on my legs above the boots and I wear textile pants with the liner in regardless of the ambient temperature to protect my legs from that heat. The tank is especially hot on long rides and without riding pants it would be very uncomfortable leaning against the tank.

The only way I could imagine a loose exhaust clamp causing heat on your ankle would be if the hot exhaust was blowing out the pipe directly at your ankle.
Yep, Better boots get my vote. Mid calf minimum non vented. imnsho

Try putting your "flaps" in the outer position, will tend to guide the hot air away from your legs.

Note that this will cause a huge deluge of "What do they do?", "Are they meant to be cooler in or out?" ..., which will eventually lead to this topic being placed into the NEPRT section, but give it a try anyway. Nothing to lose.

Obviously if you can't find a remedy to the quell the source, I 2nd to suggest the Highway pegs.....

They are great to get your legs higher and wider, up away from the flow of that heat, I use mine every time I ride, cold or hot, not to mention the added ability to stretch out your legs for comfort....

https://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_5&products_id=267&zenid=hcmlgg0vut700oj0c1c7l5k4h3

Here's the seating position - found the pic via google, props to the owner

073.jpg

Good luck on getting to the root of the dilemma....

Try putting your "flaps" in the outer position, will tend to guide the hot air away from your legs.

Note that this will cause a huge deluge of "What do they do?", "Are they meant to be cooler in or out?" ..., which will eventually lead to this topic being placed into the NEPRT section, but give it a try anyway. Nothing to lose.
I read in another thread about this but didn't really know what they were talking about. Apologies for my ignorance. How would I accomplish this?

I read in another thread about this but didn't really know what they were talking about. Apologies for my ignorance. How would I accomplish this?
Either side of the fuel tank, on the top of the side fairing, you'll see two Zeus fasteners.

(Click on image for larger view)

Undo these a quarter of a turn, they will pull out.

There's a second pair of holes the fasteners will fit in to:

Simply fasten in to the outer holes.

No guarantees it will help, but as I said before, it costs nothing to try.

You my friend need decent riding pants and boots.

I wear mesh armored riding pants but the side near the bike has a heat reflecting material.

Proper gear will help a ton.

Scooper

Every other bike I've owned since the 70s has a boxer engine. Inline, water cooled fours just throw more heat at you. My 2013 is bearable except in stop and go traffic in high temps. Not much stop and go traffic where I live and ride.

Either side of the fuel tank, on the top of the side fairing, you'll see two Zeus fasteners.

(Click on image for larger view)

Undo these a quarter of a turn, they will pull out.

There's a second pair of holes the fasteners will fit in to:

Simply fasten in to the outer holes.

No guarantees it will help, but as I said before, it costs nothing to try.
Very helpful. Thanks!

You my friend need decent riding pants and boots.I wear mesh armored riding pants but the side near the bike has a heat reflecting material.

Proper gear will help a ton.

Scooper
I ordered a pair of full size boots (Sidi) since I hate the ones I have and it sounds like that may make the difference. But I do wear vented pants. I really like them and they are comfortable. I don't think they have any heat resistant material in the calf though. Let's see if the boots help and I'll try the wings out too.

Dad wears Tourmaster mesh riding pants and regular over the calf height boots. He has 3 different pairs of boots. One pair is the cheap perforated leather from Cycle Gear. He has never once complained to me about heat issues. He has mentioned that my ST throws off a bit more heat than his FJR.

I own a 2012 bought new . Stock pipes were warm on my legs , and so are the muzzy pipes now . 2' of header wrap on each side mid pipe made it better .

I wear full race boots / leathers . About 30 bucks for good wrap and another 10 for four good stainless steel tie straps to secure the header wrap

The post on the Air wings is a good idea. I have a 03 and in the summer it can get uncomfortable, and a set of Air wings would help.

Trade it in on a 13 or 14. I think Yamaha finally figured out the air management for the rider on these years. Noticed a huge difference in heat around my ankles from my 08.

Why not temporarily wrap some aluminum foil around the joint you think is causing the problem? That will route any escaping hot air away from your feet. Take it for a ride with the new aluminum booties on it. Does that have an effect on the problem? If it does, then indeed the loose clamp may be your culprit.

As a matter of fact, when trying to figure out where the heat is coming from, aluminum foil is amazing. It may look ridiculous, but it will tell you where the heat is NOT coming from. Put it on, go for a ride, feel no difference -- then that area is not the culprit. Think you know where the heat is coming from? Wrap that area with foil, take it for a short ride. The foil will stay in place and will stop all air flow. Just a simple test to help you know where the problem lies on your bike. Once you find the problem, you can toss the foil and get working on a solution.

For what it's worth, my Gen 1 is like a hot air dryer compared to your 2012. I have baker air wings and once underway, they make a huge difference for me. However, their location on my bike doesn't affect the ankles, but rather the calves. My Gen 1 is wonderful in the cooler months, but we have a love/hate relationship in the summer here in Florida.

CIMG0739.jpg

Gary

darksider #44

You G1 Florida guys have my complete and utter respect. My thin viscosity Yankee blood couldn't stand the heat down there even just standing around off the bike, never-mind riding around a first gen inferno in those temps. It would be downright unbearable!
wow.gif

Then again, I was thinking of tearing out all of the heat mods I've done on mine this fall to make my "extended" riding season more comfy.

I could sure use a little more heat in those few chilly days we get in January or February.

Think there's a good way to redirect some of that heat at the tires to keep them from freezing to the roadway?

If it didn't get so damn slippery with the ice and snow, winter would be the best time of the year to ride.

You seldom have to clean your face shield since there are no bugs, you don't get a tired left arm from waving at a bunch of other riders, and you don't have to watch out for Yogi or Boo-Boo!