2012 Hooterville/Arkansas ride - October 4-7

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay...the routes being recommended are the following:

Friday: Hooterville to Clinton - 439 miles with the Push Mtn Loop

I know that is a long way for a group ride...but some people seem determined to wanna do Push Mtn.;

If everybody thinks that's too long...there is a route that omits Push Mtn, but adds a few more backroads between Elsinore and Doniphan. This route is 376 miles.

There will be stops in Bixby (bathroom), Piedmont Casey's (gas), Doniphan Big D's Bar B Q, and somewhere in Thayer (Gas/Beer) (Not sure exactly where that station is-will need to keep eyes open around Thayer.

Saturday: Clinton to Clinton - We'll do the 400 mile route outlined previously.

I recommend stops in Dover (if bathroom stop is required), Clarksville(175 miles) for gas/lunch?, I've never been to Oark (20 miles down the road from Clarksville)...if it's still there, there might be lunch stop there...if not, stop in Clarksville for lunch, Jasper (280 miles) for gas, Marshall (377 miles) for gas if doing Push Mtn. I don't have way points for any of these stops, so you will need to keep your eyes open and your gps handy.

If doing Push Mtn, the route is 500 miles...and your stops should be short, 5 minutes max, and you should leave at 7am sharp and consider it a individual ride, as the groups probably won't be riding at a pace to do Push Mtn before dark.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking to verify and look at gas stops, food stops today or tomorrow. :)
Speaking of stops along Saturday... anybody know the booze situation? I know Clinton is in dry county, but will we be in wet counties on the routes Saturday? Or do we need to stock up for both nights on the ride down Friday?

Not that it's a big deal for me or anything :rolleyes: ya know, just thinking of others.

I'm looking to verify and look at gas stops, food stops today or tomorrow. :)
Speaking of stops along Saturday... anybody know the booze situation? I know Clinton is in dry county, but will we be in wet counties on the routes Saturday? Or do we need to stock up for both nights on the ride down Friday?

Not that it's a big deal for me or anything :rolleyes: ya know, just thinking of others.
I'm gonna be stopping in Thayer for gas and beer before heading into Arkansas. I edited my post above...outlining the stops. Marty is helping me by making the gps routes and should have those sometime soon I suppose.

...This route is 376 miles.
So Marky-Mark are these 376 miles going to be creamy smooth, the inquiring minds of HotRodZilla and Papa Chuy want to know! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

100_0160%20(Medium).JPG

This is where I put on my "MOM" hat on...Now kids:

On Thursday night...as per tradition, we will be having dinner over at the Catfish Kettle. I assume that dinner at 7pm will be fine...and I will call or go over there at 6:30pm to warn them that a bunch of us are headed that way.

Friday and Saturday mornings we will meet in the parking lots at 7am to go over ride stuff with KSU at 7:30am for the first group out.

Fuel tanks should be FULL, and other bike checks completed by 7:00am.

Try to have a good breakfast because you will be expending a lot of energy on these rides with lunch a long ways off.

We are riding out in the middle of nowheres, so take full advantage of the fuel stops. Make them quick, then chat a bit before heading down the road. These are long days...so lets not dally too much. But be prepared with water and a snack in your tankbag...we won't always have access to a store to buy water or a snack.

I have tried to put similar paced riders together. Towards the beginning of the ride, slower riders should wave faster riders by, and faster riders may filter towards the front when and if it is safe. Please do not use this ride to race others in the group...just go at a pace that is fun and comfortable and safe. Don't ruin your day and others by making unsafe moves that endanger other riders or yourself. We've had a pretty good record recently on the Hooterville rides...lets make this year the same way.

One last thing...lets not be like the Harley tribe...if there are individual sport riders out there that come up fast on a group's back end, move to the right and signal the rider in front with your brights to move to the right. Go to the fog line and give the rider plenty of space to pass. We don't like to be held up...let's not hold others up by our group ride.

So Marky-Mark are these 376 miles going to be creamy smooth, the inquiring minds of HotRodZilla and Papa Chuy want to know! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

100_0160%20(Medium).JPG

Don, ya need to get out here and experience Hooterville for yourself.

I've ridden in a lot of places, but Hooterville-Southeast Missouri and Northern Arkansas + CFO Southwest Wisconsin are my favorites.

BTW bring and extra set of tires for that Beemer, you're going to need them.

TIRES...TIRES...TIRES...

Everybody needs good fresh tires for this run. These roads will chew them up. Don't bother coming on worn tires...I will direct you to the nearest tire dealer.

Once we get out on the back roads...it's a long way from fresh rubber...don't do that to your fellow riders.

Bring fresh tires.

Saturday: Clinton to Clinton - We'll do the 400 mile route outlined previously.

I recommend stops in Dover (if bathroom stop is required), Clarksville(175 miles) for gas/lunch?, I've never been to Oark (20 miles down the road from Clarksville)...if it's still there, there might be lunch stop there...if not, stop in Clarksville for lunch, Jasper (280 miles) for gas, Marshall (377 miles) for gas if doing Push Mtn. I don't have way points for any of these stops, so you will need to keep your eyes open and your gps handy.
There is the Oark General Store. Turn right at 215 (from 103) it's right down the road. Gramps & I stopped there a few years ago. I called, it's still open, serving food, and pumping gas. I'll stick it on the route. If no one wants to stop there just turn left instead of right (but you better have gotten gas and food back in Clarksville).

OK here's what I have for Final Routes. Stops have Red Circles. The Oark General Store is the one north of Clarksville:

Farmington to Clinton with Push Mountain from the North - 442 Miles:

FtoCwPush.jpg

Farming to Clinton NO Push Mountain - 372 Miles:

FtoCNoPush.jpg

360 Loop with Push Mountain - 357 Miles:

360MiwPushMtn.jpg

400 Mile Loop NO Push Mountain - 409 Miles:

400wStops.jpg

500 Mile Loop with Push Mountain - 519 Miles:

500MilewStops.jpg

EDIT: Updated 2 Images Farmington to Clinton

I setup a Hooterville 2012 Dropbox Folder. It has three sub-folders, GDB, GPX, and Street & Trips.

This link CLICK HERE should take you there and you can download the routes in your preferred format. The Download button is on the upper right. It should be self-explanatory, but if you have problems feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll try and help or just email you the files.

All disclaimers and caveats apply. Double check the routes. Your ride is ultimately YOUR responsibility. No whining or complaining or we will make you wear a dress.

Updated a couple of files.

Thanks Marty, I really appreciate you doing all that for me. :yahoo:

On Friday and Saturday, we will have some additional stops not circled. I have them summarized in a previous post.

Edit: Does the Oark Store have gas?

One other thing, I will bring my highlighter, so if you want the route highlighted on your paper map...come to me early in the evening and I will find time to highlight your map...if you can't figure out the route beforehand.

Marty's done a good job in the posts above, and has also included S&T files in the download...so we should all be good.

Thanks Marty, I really appreciate you doing all that for me. :yahoo:

On Friday and Saturday, we will have some additional stops not circled. I have them summarized in a previous post.

Edit: Does the Oark Store have gas?
Oark Store has Gas. I called to double check.

I added the Bixby Stop and Big D's BBQ to the Friday routes, The piedmont Casey's is there, the Thayer stop is there, it just looks like Mamoth spring, . The gas station I picked in Thayer sells beer (I called). I updated the images and the GDB & GPX route files. I left the S&T files you made.

I think I got all the stops on the 400 mile loop for Saturday. Is something missing?

I setup a Hooterville 2012 Dropbox Folder. It has three sub-folders, GDB, GPX, and Street & Trips.

This link CLICK HERE should take you there and you can download the routes in your preferred format. The Download button is on the upper right. It should be self-explanatory, but if you have problems feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll try and help or just email you the files.

All disclaimers and caveats apply. Double check the routes. Your ride is ultimately YOUR responsibility. No whining or complaining or we will make you wear a dress.

A Huge Thank You to you Marty. The files all seemed to download just fine. I especially appreciate the S&T file. Makes it so much easier to zoom in and study the routes.

I think I got all the stops on the 400 mile loop for Saturday. Is something missing?
Nope, didn't realize Oark was a viable gas stop...never having been there.

Clarksville is 175 miles in, Oark is 195miles in.

This Hooterville ride is gonna be GREAT! :yahoo:

100_0160%20(Medium).JPG

Don, ya need to get out here and experience Hooterville for yourself.

I've ridden in a lot of places, but Hooterville-Southeast Missouri and Northern Arkansas + CFO Southwest Wisconsin are my favorites.

BTW bring and extra set of tires for that Beemer, you're going to need them.
Brother Karl, I hear you loud and clear that I do need to get back to that beautiful riding area. Hooterville Smitty rode his BMW R1200GS Adventure to the MOA International Rally in Redmond, Oregon and we got together for a couple of meals.

I told Smitty then that I would ride back to see him and I still have not done it, I also want to stop at Rushes garage in Arkansas and steal one of his Spanish Motorcycles; I'm absolutely crazy about the Iberian smokers, Love the Bultaco/Ossa's!

Biggest crime of all is I haven't visited my Ozarks, Missouri Family since October 1968! I spent two weeks before joining the US Army with them and they have come West to visit and I take them to Disneyland/Sea World/Queen Mary/Hollywood.

This Hooterville/Arkansas Ride that wheatonFJR organizes always looks like a real hoot, I will do my best to make it in 2013. October 2013 will be a busy month for me: I'm leading the Forum Irish to Mulege, Mexico for my 65th Birthday 10/28.