2013 after-market muffler only?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JON-PNW2013

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been discussed but, I could not find an existing topic...

I saw/heard a 2013 FJR ride past me (I was in a car) and it sounded absolutely fantastic! I noticed that it had custom mufflers so now I just have to have some. I am not complaining about my bike's performance but I'm tired of people telling me it sounds like the whirring of George Jetson's car. LOL Keep in mind that I moved to this FJR from a big cruiser with nice, loud pipes, So yeah, I kind of miss a custom, aggressive sound.

That being said, does anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket slip-on mufflers? And to add to that, should I expect any tuning to be required (assuming not with EFI)?

If you just change the pipes no tuning needed.

Do a youtube search of "2013 fjr exhaust" youll find several vids showing the sound.

I currently have the Two Brothers Racing Black series in Titanium on order.

https://www.twobros.com/sku/005-1560408DM-B

m2vd-14-TI.jpg

These videos have the same cans but in Carbon Finish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab1BN-jSw4w

Last edited by a moderator:
'Wifman' - I had my eyes on those exact, bad@$$-looking pipes - but then saw (from TwoBrothers: https://www.twobros.com/sku/005-1560408DM-B - bottom of page) that they are not street legal?

Thanks for the tip on the tuning and advice on YouTube. Should have tried that already - my kids call it "University of YouTube" for good reason.

I will also take a look at those Vance and Hines you mentioned 'ahchiu'. Thanks!

Whitman - I just saw/listened to those two video/audio clips (for some reason, it didn't how up in the window the first time I brought up the topic). That is exactly what I heard! It sounds absolutely fantastic...

Bought my Remus Pipes at a FJR rally in Park City, UT for my 2006 FJR.

They have been on three FJR's now with about a total of 200,000 miles on them. In 2011, when I put them on 2010 FJR, I did install the baffles that came with the mufflers.

And, yes, they do still sound great.

I wanted to farkle up to some new pipes but read they add little to no performance even though they look and sound awesome. So decided not to for the $$$. But have you considered this.

I have the Two Brothers Aluminum Black Series with no P1 tips. I love them, and not as expensive as the titanium or Carbon Fiber pipes. No performance increase, but it sounds like it. Lol.

FWIW, after about 30mph I can't hear them anyway...Unless I want to.

Best bang for your buck is Delkevic. They run 300-400 and come in stainless and carbon fiber with different lengths ranging from 8", 14" (mine), and 18".

Have any of you done the mod on the stock mufflers? if it does not affect the tuning of the bike, why not same the $$'s and keep the OEM cans. My objection to aftermarket cans is the ugly mounting strap.

Have any of you done the mod on the stock mufflers? if it does not affect the tuning of the bike, why not same the $$'s and keep the OEM cans. My objection to aftermarket cans is the ugly mounting strap.
There's two varieties of Trooper mod: The 'Stage I' is making the hole saw cut, but leaving the small piece of pipe. 'Stage II' is the removal of the piece of pipe.

That being the case, some have done either Stage, and liked it, while others have not liked the result. I think the majority of those who have done the mod have no regrets.

Others, like myself, purchased a used set of cans for the procedure keeping my stockers intact. I didn't particularly like the sound, and ended up selling the modded cans to someone on the forum.

Since then, I have installed Staintunes, after hearing them on other bikes, and am pleased with them. Yeah, they are pricey, but also top quality, and require no mounting strap or repack.

I suggest you look for a set of used fjr cans, modded or not, (DIY), so you can try 'em out, and can put the stockers back on if you dislike the sound of the modded ones.

I don't think the straps look bad, and the weight savings is great! Most sets of aftermarket cans weigh about half of the stocks.

I went with the Leo Vince. $525 delivered thanks to Forum discount. Sounds like a motorcycle but not loud enough for any sane person to object to. Did before and after dyno runs. Fueling actually improved. Picked up 1.25 peak HP and 4 ft./lbs. at one low point in the stock torque curve. Also lost 9 lbs. of excess weight.

Thank you all for the great suggestions and advice everyone! I like the suggestion for modifying the stock pipes but would obviously have to commit - there is no back-out for that option. The Delkevic pipes just do not look as nice as the 2BR pipes. And, you are right - it's for looks and sound only because I do not expect (or need) a performance increase. But yes, very spendy... which makes modifying the stock pipes a better looking idea.

My 2c. I first had Leo Vince carbon fibre. They didn't sound at all like I had heard listening to sound clips online? After a little low side I replaced with Beowulf! I had heard these on another forum members bike and thought that is the sound I want. I'm not sure but I believe the Two Bros are probably the loudest of the aftermarket variety? My Beowulf's are Titanium with a blue tint which means my bike goes faster! I run with the baffles out.

I just hope you dont have the same problem that i have... I got a set of HoleShot slipons, black they look awesome...But i really hate the sound....(back to square one)!