2013 FJR based on the April Motorcylist comparo(and other reviews)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaser

Reaction score
The comparo couldn't have been released with better timing. Once I saw the 2013 FJR's new features and engine improvements the idea of considering a Sport Tourer went from a distant interest to a reality. But the comparo left me with some uncertainties regarding the FJR. It seems like the article left the BMW with its expected accolades and the C14 received another (of many continuing) stamps of approval based mostly on its "ZX-14" sport bike engine character. But its my opinion that sport touring riders don't necessarily want to ride their motorcycles like sport bikes to be able extract the majority of it's power. Sport Tourers are concerned more about top gear passing power without having to jockey the transmission while on the open highway to access it. Also the C14 is the only one of the four without cruise control.

Where Yamaha states the '13 FJR gained only 3HP from the engine improvements one could ask what new piston rings, coated sleeveless cylinders, new throttle bodies and ignition, and a less restrictive exhaust did. I believe the the comparo's dyno charts, in particular the torque curves seem to reveal more. The -13's curve shows a significant amount of low end torque and also the 60-80 top gear passing time was one of the highest second to the BMW. It would have been useful if the comparo had listed gear ratios.

My conclusion is it seems to me that Yamaha design engineers gave the '13 FJR the engine characteristics and features that a sport touring motorcyclist would value the most. While most automobile comparos provide final rankings of 1st, 2nd and 3rd the Motorcyclist comparo seemed vague after the BMW with it's conclusions -except for the "off the record" comments of the riders where it seemed the FJR received more positive feedback than all the others. As I eluded to before I feel the C14's main accolade of "high end" power is running a little long on the tooth. Most sport tourers aren't looking for 83+ ft/lbs at 6500 RPM. Except for maybe sport riders that happen to write the ocassional sport touring review.

Huh? Everybody around here already knows all that. So quit pissing into the wind and go buy one already!

Oh, and paragraphs are your friend!
smile.png

Pretty sure that the 2013 comes with cruise, correct?

Not "everyone" owns or has ridden an FJR. But many do read the magazines. I wrote my comments to benefit people that may be considering the FJR as a new purchase and that may have read the Motorcylist comparo and other reviews of the '13.

Actually that report was a catalyst for me to by the FJR. I had started thinking either a R1200RT or a Guzzi Norge. I just thought both the K1600 and the Connie 14 were too darn big, and to be honest, the FJR never really entered my mind.

Then the F800GT came out and I thought that maybe less would be more. But I had ridden an F800ST and was a bit underwhelmed on the power side then (bought a V-Strom 1000 at the time). Hmmm.

So then this comparison came out and I sent an e-mail to the local dealers. Coyote Motorsports called me that day, said they had one on the floor and one in a box. I went in Saturday the 26th of January on my ZX6 - which I was contemplating trading. They gave me a good deal on the trade and the out the door was about $1000 less than anticipated so I jumped at it.

So far I love it but I need it to stop snowing! Only have just over 400 miles on it, grrr.

Outside of where the idiots at Yamaha moved the battery and the cost of their frame sliders, stop worrying about how your FJR compares to those overrated bikes and start riding it. The other bikes in that comparison are more expensive, top heavy, and cost a lot more to service and repair than your bike ever will. Also, I don't believe those bikes can keep up with an FJR on twisty backroads without scaring the hell out of the rider due to the heft of those bikes.

A couple of years ago I met a guy who was getting off of his BMW K1200 RS and I told him that that was the bike I always wanted and he responded by pointing at my bike and said that that's the bike I should have bought! Makes you go hmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
...only to 80mph...but there might be some super secret wiring fix for that that you need to pay attention in the near future for...for those that even care.
Please say that this is not just a tease and that someone really is working on a patch to defeat the 80 mph cruise limit.
This is not a tease. Look in the current Gen 1 Hater reviewing the new Gen 3 by Sir SkooterG. Near the current end of the thread FJRForum member mcook (of Motorcyclist Magazine) states that they are working on that. Check out that thread...SkooterG has some good nuggets in there.

...only to 80mph...but there might be some super secret wiring fix for that that you need to pay attention in the near future for...for those that even care.
Please say that this is not just a tease and that someone really is working on a patch to defeat the 80 mph cruise limit.
This is not a tease. Look in the current Gen 1 Hater reviewing the new Gen 3 by Sir SkooterG. Near the current end of the thread FJRForum member mcook (of Motorcyclist Magazine) states that they are working on that. Check out that thread...SkooterG has some good nuggets in there.
Thanks for the kudos Wheatie, but I read Marc Cook's comments as more 'rumor' than fact on the cruise control fix. So I wouldn't be holding my breath on that. But boy, I sure would love to be pleasantly surprised and proven wrong. I ain't no expert, but I think it is going to be VERY hard to defeat the CC limit.

I agree, no breath holding would be advisable...there's no fix yet, but he did mention in a casual way that they are working on a reacharound workaround.

On my way over there now. Thanks for the heads up!

My CC will set at any point between 1 and 140.

I doubt Yamaha will change the factory setting. Doesn't the CC on most if not all cars will set at 85 max as well - I'm sure it's got something to do with NHTSA. I'm probably well behind the boat on this revelation as I expect it was covered in depth on the Gen III thread.

It's a case of "be careful what you ask for"...

I agree, no breath holding would be advisable...there's no fix yet, but he did mention in a casual way that they are working on a reacharound workaround.

The GL1800 CC will set at up to 100 mph.

The old GL1500 would only set up to 80. But it was worked around by crossing 2 wires to fool the bike into thinking it was in 4th gear. This bumped the CC up into the low 90's if I remember correctly. I don't think that will work on the FJR.

And my cars will set at speeds over 80, just saying.

Well, until I prove that it works, the CC workaround (ahem!) is just a rumor. But I'm almost done putting an issue out so I can work on this further. If it's a dead end, you guys will be the first to know.

Marc @ Motorcyclist

I had a GL1800 and a had a K1600.... both replaced by the '13 FJR.

the K1600 had a few design flaws: drive line lash, clunky gearbox with long throws and unrefined throttle by wire... then I had a host of reliability issues with it, so I finally gave up on having an inline 6 and went for ol' reliable once I saw the updates on the FJR: easy to read LCD speedo, drive by wire that's well perfected, traction control and ABS. Plus, the bike has a long history of reliability.

I like the 5 gear gearbox: less shifting and more torque in every gear... there are 6 gear whiners on every forum and every bike magazine.. I never felt the Goldwing needed a 6th gear either..

Well, until I prove that it works, the CC workaround (ahem!) is just a rumor. But I'm almost done putting an issue out so I can work on this further. If it's a dead end, you guys will be the first to know.
Marc @ Motorcyclist
Having been on these forums for almost 10 years now I am a skeptic by nature. Please, please, please, by all means prove me wrong. If you do, I'll even give you a dollar!
whistle.gif

The CC over here is good to 111 so what's the difference between bikes?

Could a Euro part be fitted to US models to bypass the limit? Just a thought.

Doesn't the CC on most if not all cars will set at 85 max as well - I'm sure it's got something to do with NHTS
Odd. My Subaru STi locks in at least above 110. Not tried it higher than that but it wasn't dialing back at that point.

The old GL1500 would only set up to 80. But it was worked around by crossing 2 wires to fool the bike into thinking it was in 4th gear. This bumped the CC up into the low 90's if I remember correctly. I don't think that will work on the FJR.

78 actual. 102 after the fix. Since the FJR does it in the ECU with a CAN Buss, you're right.

Last edited by a moderator: